Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Should Doomguy speak?

Xerge said:

He probably would've made a better Doom Marine for the Doom movie (which shoudln't exist).

My ideal Doom movie would be a mix of Total Recall, Aliens (1986), Event Horizon, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness.

Event Horizon IS the closest thing to a Doom movie we have at the present moment. It nails everything IMHO. Only thing is it needs Doomguy, and well Phobos, Deimos, and going to the actual Hell dimension. =)

hund_ said:

a FEW choice taunts maybe,but blathering on like duke no ;)

I think they should make Doomguy sound like a cross between Ash Williams, Caleb (from Blood), and Dwayne Hicks (from Aliens (1986).)

DoomzRules said:

I think they should make Doomguy sound like a cross between Ash Williams, Caleb (from Blood), and Dwayne Hicks (from Aliens (1986).)

I can imagine him having a sadistic personality like Caleb's only when he is really really angry and is succesfully discharging his anger using a very powerful and destructive weapon like the rocket launcher or BFG against a horde of demons, doing that while he has a sadistic grin on his face, like the one he does when he picks up a weapon. Kind of experiencing a sweet revenge.

Damn this topic really gone far now, hasn't it?

IF doomguy had to speak, the best voice actor for him would have to be Morgan Freeman.
Just imagine the glory kills, and what he'll say of it!

But in honesty, no voice or Bruce Campbell.

Spoiler

Or Dwayne the Rock Johnson. :P

As I say, and I will say it again - Doomguy should not speak, maybe only have pain sounds. Anything else should be optional mod - where You pick voice sample of Your favorite actor and can play with speaking Doomguy. You love canon - stay with silent protagonist, You have Your own opinion - use modification.

MrGlide said:

No, many reasons. BUT.... If he were to speak, I Feel it should be in a similer fashion to ed hardy's take on mad max.

So, I came across this.

I guess he kinda looks like Doomguy. But I always thought Doomguy looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger to be honest. =P

Anyway, if Doomguy could speak I'd probably want Dave Wittenberg (the voice actor for Kakashi in the English dub of Naruto) to voice Doomguy. It's just a thought ya know. =3

Azuruish said:

I doubt if Duke Nukem or Isaac Clarke (Dead Space (2,3)) could be has same benefit in this case you know.

Well, Doom isn't exactly Duke Nukem or Dead Space. They're trying different things.

Making the Doom Guy speak would be to seriously miss the whole point. If you made him like Duke Nukem, the tone would be too silly for the whole "You are Doomed" scenario that's central to the theme. If you made him like Isaac Clarke in Dead Space, ironically, you would make it too serious.

Doom hit the sweet spot between super-serious and silly, and the silent protagonist is serious, while not so serious it makes you depressed or takes away from the over-the-top design of the game's weapons, locations and enemies.

I hate speechless/mute heroes. Why? Because they don't give a shit about what is going on around. Idea of speechless/mute heroes in that player could associate himself with heroes but two problem: It's not RPG and quite problematic to associate.

Them being voiceless doesn't necessarily mean they don't give a shit, merely that they don't express their feelings openly. And no, giving the player the option to imagine the characters personality doesn't automatically make it an RPG, it just gives the player more options with the character.

Psychopathy doesn't necessarily entail that a person is evil just that their regard for personal well being is inhibited and perhaps urges.

I have yet to encounter a reliable source that confirms your claim, however, I'm willing to concede that there may be such a source somewhere. I currently don't feel like doing a massive amount of homework on a subject that I don't particularly enjoy just for the sake of a discussion I probably shouldn't have started.

I will say that being a psychopath wouldn't be the only explanation for a person being emotionally stunted and caring less about personal well being - some people who have experienced a lot of pain and suffering have been known to become emotionally stunted and display less regard for themselves as a consequence, but that doesn't make them psychopaths and it's a gross mistake (and arguably a cruel insult) to consider them such.

I just remembered this MOD for Duke Nukem 3D, they gave Doomguy a voice.

He should grunt with pain, similar to the Quake II warrior or Sarge from QIII. At full HP or above 100% minor shrugs or grunts, then below 25% tortured howls, and a ruthless death cry.

It should also be an option in the menu - full voice, pain, silent

Edit* I'll be making more posts when I submit my GZDoom WAD I've been working on for months... long time observer, and Doom fan since it landed, just never posted.

Xerge said:

I can imagine him having a sadistic personality like Caleb's only when he is really really angry and is succesfully discharging his anger using a very powerful and destructive weapon like the rocket launcher or BFG against a horde of demons, doing that while he has a sadistic grin on his face, like the one he does when he picks up a weapon. Kind of experiencing a sweet revenge.

Caleb also isn't that far removed from Duke Nukem, he has a good sense of humor. They both reference Army of Darkness, and Caleb even quotes an Andrew Dice Clay stand-up-comedy nursery rhyme.

I think Doomguy being mostly silent works, but much like Silent Bob, would be fun if he unexpectedly says something memorable once in a while. Maybe two or three times in the game.

PsychoGoatee said:

Caleb also isn't that far removed from Duke Nukem, he has a good sense of humor.

I think that's something I overlooked, I really don't think Doomguy has much sense of humor considering the situation he is in, even his evil grin when he picks up a weapon is not a matter of sense of humor, it's more a matter of sadism and revenge than a joke.

I'd really like to see the 'Mug' brought back with this release complete with scowls and^ when finding a new weapon or firing a gun non-stop. I did a thorough search for any posts in regards to this and can't find anything.

I think Doomguy should be sarcastic, sound sort of laid-back, and not really give a damn for anything that's going on.

Of course he's probably angry, but I always picture him sounding like a sly ninja-type guy.

Then again that's probably just me. =P

GoatLord said:

I always pictured him being no-nonsense, calm and collected.

So sort of like Agent Washington from Red vs Blue or Kakashi from Naruto?