Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomzRules

Anything that makes Doom kinda like Diablo?

Are there any mods or modifications out there, that add in a lot of monster variants and unique attacks for said monsters?

As well as a dark atmosphere on top of that as well?

I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know.

I'm a huge fan of Doom 64, PSX Doom, Hexen, and Diablo 1. I wish there was some sort of mod that would seemingly combine all four.

:)

I'd appreciate the help. Thanks. =3

Here are a few leads, all for ZDoom:

Doom Roguelike Arsenal with monster pack
Doom Roguelike Monster Expansion (optional addon, not the same as DRLA's own monster pack)
Scalliano's 667 Shuffle (if you don't want all the roguelike mechanics and just want monster variants)

Bonus: Doom RPG doesn't contain monsters, but it works well with the Doom Roguelike mods and can make the experience feel like a 3D Diablo since your character will level up and can even go back to the "town".

Gez said:

Here are a few leads, all for ZDoom:

Doom Roguelike Arsenal with monster pack
Doom Roguelike Monster Expansion (optional addon, not the same as DRLA's own monster pack)
Scalliano's 667 Shuffle (if you don't want all the roguelike mechanics and just want monster variants)

Bonus: Doom RPG doesn't contain monsters, but it works well with the Doom Roguelike mods and can make the experience feel like a 3D Diablo since your character will level up and can even go back to the "town".

Doom Roguelike is certainly up my ally, unfortunately it seems as though I've been running into issues regarding getting it up and running with my build of GZDoom.

I have the latest stable build.

It demands the most bleeding-edge build, but for whatever reason the bleeding-edge build crashes on my HP Windows 10 laptop.

So is there anything that would run that?

Or perhaps a way for me to be able to get just the monsters variants working?

P.S I like the mapset "Scythe 2". Is there anything similar to Scythe 2 floating around the Interwebz? It's very Diabloesque and I like it. Especially with my custom PSX Doom fire sky that has Diablo music and other fitting music playing with the flame sky. It fits so perfectly! =D

I just need to have more demons.

Currently I'm using a modified DoomKrakken's monster randomizer that yours truly modified.

I added in some more demons but overall I kinda wish I could have even more demons (if that makes sense).

=3

But cheers for the links to the mods! =D

Try ZDoom 2.8.1. I know, it says latest dev builds, but that was because there hadn't been new official builds of ZDoom for years; whereas ZDoom 2.8.1 has just been released and they haven't updated their readmes to take it into account.

Current development builds of ZDoom are trying to stabilize two new subsystems (a rewrite of DECORATE handling to use a VM, and a new portal code in the renderer) so there are some bugs right now. If you run into issues, better get the 2.8.1 build.

Gez said:

Try ZDoom 2.8.1. I know, it says latest dev builds, but that was because there hadn't been new official builds of ZDoom for years; whereas ZDoom 2.8.1 has just been released and they haven't updated their readmes to take it into account.

Current development builds of ZDoom are trying to stabilize two new subsystems (a rewrite of DECORATE handling to use a VM, and a new portal code in the renderer) so there are some bugs right now. If you run into issues, better get the 2.8.1 build.

Alright I'll give it a try sometime maybe.

I just prefer GZDoom overall.

Anyway, thanks for the Doom RL Arsenal Monster Pack link!

I found three monsters I could use for my custom monster pack.

Well most of it's all DoomKrakken's work.

I've just decided to make my own monster pack called DoomzRules's Monster Pack.

It's not finished yet. But it's almost finished. I'd say it's about 75% finished.

I just need some more demons. =)

EDIT: It's finished. I just need DoomKrakken's permission at this point.

P.S Would you recommend any weapons mods to me? I'm looking for a good one that doesn't really violate the vanilla Doom weapons and keeps them the same, but maybe a couple bells and whistles added in and perhaps a couple new weapons added as well. =3

Someone should just make a WadC program that randomly generates maps according to some unique algorithm. It would be better than using OBLIGE because the patterns would be completely up to the author.

printz said:

Someone should just make a WadC program that randomly generates maps according to some unique algorithm. It would be better than using OBLIGE because the patterns would be completely up to the author.

Though I think if someone makes a map randomizer, it should be based off Scythe 2 and Diablo 1.

Very gothic, and the Hell levels would also be randomized and everything.

It'd be cool if done right.

Speaking of which, are there any mods that add in Diabloesque demons into Doom?

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm satisifed with my sub-mod, but I literally hit the limit of a PK3. I went all the way to the 55MB limit, and I wanted to fit in more demons but I couldn't sadly. =(

And as for both GZDoom builds?

I tried both, but my laptop keeps giving me the ZDoom Very Fatal Error stuff again. =(

I guess that means I'm going to have to use ZDoom whether I want to or not.

Ah well, I just need to find a good weapons mod at the present moment that doesn't have any reloading (except the shotguns of course) and kind of beefs up the vanilla weaponry a little bit and adds in some new weapons like a Quad-Shotgun or an Auto-Shotgun stuff like that?

Hey fellow original Diablo fan. I agree, a Doom/Diablo crossover could pretty much be one of the greatest games of all time. Imagining strafe running around the catacombs as a Sorcerer spamming chain lightning is arousing.

Diablo 1 <3.

I like the thought process going on here, I'd love a literal mashup of Doom and Diablo. I don't think I could ever commit the time to working on such a project though. :(

Ideally what would be pretty cool is if you have a monster randomizer and a death randomizer, so the monsters would be randomized, but their deaths would also be randomized as well.

Furthermore, it'd be cool if you could use both medieval and modern weaponry to fight the demons and stuff with.

=)

Just a thought I guess.

At the present moment? I'm looking for something that's very Diabloesque for any game (whether it's Hexen, Heretic, or Doom).

I mean at the moment I'm playing with my custom monster randomizer.... it just doesn't feel like Diablo though. =P

Custom textures inspired from Diablo 2's artwork such as from the hell levels would be nice.

It would be nice.

Anyway, aside from that. Are there any mods for Doom that add in a gore level similar to that of Diablo?

Because after watching a retrospective on Diablo from Gametrailers (R.I.P) the narrator (Brandon Jones) was talking about how demons would have their organs and entrails splayed out and how some demons would just burst into white flames.

Anything similar in Doom?

Or no?

Brutal Doom doesn't seem to satisfy the Diablo criteria for gore. It's too cartoony and over-the-top.

Diablo's gore is realistic and kinda gruesome to be honest. =3 That's why I <3 Diablo's gore so much! =D

It's not classic Doom, but I remember a semi-popular mod for Doom 3 called Dungeon Doom. If you're into Doom 3, it might be up your alley.

Edit: It looks like it might actually be harder to find a download of that mod than I thought, haha.

printz said:

I have, in my looong todo list, ambitions to write some more random level generator stuff for WadC. I just picked up working on it again this week so perhaps I'll make some progress on this by the next release.

dethtoll said:

Something that makes Doom like Diablo?

Hexen on the hardest difficulty, of course!

Hexen doesn't have the same type of level design Diablo has.

Not to mention it doesn't even have the same type of gore, or weaponry. I mean in Diablo you have tons of weapons, tons of demons to kill (of all different varieties I may add), and you have procedurally generated dungeons!

I mean don't get me wrong man, Hexen is awesome.

But Diablo is just Diablo.

I mean Doom is pretty close to Diablo IMHO, it's just lacking monster varieties, random weapons, and randomly generated maps. (Oh and loot! =D)

You might also try Wrath of Cronos. Primarily a mod for Hexen, but also works with Doom, Heretic and Strife.

Adds a leveling system with talent trees that let you choose from many different abilities and spells. No gear per se like Diablo, but there are many different items that can drop off of monsters that can assist you, including Gold that you can spend at shops, reagents to craft items, and Accessories that augment your gameplay.

Here's the link to get it - https://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1224

Jon said:

I have, in my looong todo list, ambitions to write some more random level generator stuff for WadC. I just picked up working on it again this week so perhaps I'll make some progress on this by the next release.

I would love to see that. I've always been curious about the generative possibilities of WadC compared with OBLIGE.

DoomzRules said:

Hexen doesn't have the same type of level design Diablo has.

Not to mention it doesn't even have the same type of gore, or weaponry. I mean in Diablo you have tons of weapons, tons of demons to kill (of all different varieties I may add), and you have procedurally generated dungeons!

I mean don't get me wrong man, Hexen is awesome.

But Diablo is just Diablo.

I mean Doom is pretty close to Diablo IMHO, it's just lacking monster varieties, random weapons, and randomly generated maps. (Oh and loot! =D)

Cool ASD, bro, but I was making a joke about about how Hexen is largely a bunch of tedious repeatedly hitting things in the face.

dethtoll said:

Cool ASD, bro, but I was making a joke about about how Hexen is largely a bunch of tedious repeatedly hitting things in the face.

Nah, Hexen is running around for 5 hours looking for a key or a switch to open a door somewhere and then you have to run around another 5 or 3 hours looking for ANOTHER DAMN KEY AND I JUST CAN'T EVEN (rages and yells about how tedious Hexen is.... the puzzles are just so frustrating!)

Theres this one..

Also This video too, of the same project "Diablo 3D"

Edited by irontusk341

Yep... You can get Heretic's TC mod (diablo 3D) here. Plays alot like Hexen, but theres RPG type leveling, crafting, diablo monsters, and more.

Version 1.4 LITE - http://www.mediafire.com/file/lvdd2kleu8pa9o9/Diablo 3D Version 1.4 LITE.rar (no HD textures, Godly Textures, HQ sounds, or Brutal Effects) 282MB file
Version 1.4 MID - http://www.mediafire.com/file/4qqmke42qjkz2in/Diablo 3D Version 1.4 MID.rar (No brutal effects or Godly Textures) 658MB File
Version 1.4 FULL - http://www.mediafire.com/file/8a3attpli84o75o/Diablo 3D Version 1.4 FULL.rar (contains everything) 1.36GB File
DIABLO 3D PATCH - http://www.mediafire.com/file/8x64iiqbq48h54v/Diablo 3D Version 1.45 PATCH.rar

Edited by irontusk341 : updated Links

This doesn't really answer the OP's question, but for people that like some of Diablo's mechanics, Legendoom is a cool mod that features "unique" enemies that will drop "unique" weapons. I always felt that was one of Diablo's defining traits and it's nice to see it used in a DOOM mod.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:31 PM, amackert said:

This doesn't really answer the OP's question, but for people that like some of Diablo's mechanics, Legendoom is a cool mod that features "unique" enemies that will drop "unique" weapons. I always felt that was one of Diablo's defining traits and it's nice to see it used in a DOOM mod.

looks interesting... If only to combine the legendoom's mod with the Diablo 3D TC mod... instead of doom weapon drops, it would drop hexen weapon drops with prefix's and suffixes..