Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trusty_McLegit

16:9 weapon graphics ?

So I'm trying to make a fallout mod and as a test I ripped some animations from fallout 4,scaled them down to the correct resolution and put them into slade. It's intended to be played in 16:9. When I booted it up though, it stretched the image into a 4:3 aspect ratio, leaving the gun looking squished, and leaving empty space on the sides of the screen. Any idea how to make weapon graphics that extend beyond the 4:3 border?

What are the dimensions of your weapon sprites, and what source port are you using?

The sprite is 400 x 225. I'm using gzdoom. In slade I just realized there's a toggle in the sprite preview for "aspect ratio correction" that makes it stretch like it does in game. I got it to fit the whole screen now, but it's still stretched, making the gun taller and skinnier than it should be

Can you pre-squish the image, and/or add some blank space to the left and right of your patch, so when it stretches, it looks right? (Just a hacky-type guess).

I could, and might if it comes down to it, but I'd rather not because a) it wouldn't be precise, and b) other people have made sprites this size and I'm sure it's not common practice to presquish your sprites. Now that I think about it, given how low resolution it is to begin with, presquishing it would also lower the quality quite a bit...

HeartstringsStudios said:

I'm sure it's not common practice to presquish your sprites.

Every asset in Doom is drawn to look right when stretched vertically. One thing you can do to prevent this is to use GZdoom and MAPINFO to set the pixel ratio to 1.0, though this will also make the original doom sprites look unusually short.

Yeah you need to squish your images to be 83% their normal height, then they will stretch the same amount when rendered in-game. It's annoying but what are you gonna do.

I'm kind of surprised to learn that ZDoom doesn't support per-graphic pixel ratios, I was almost sure it did.

Linguica said:

I'm kind of surprised to learn that ZDoom doesn't support per-graphic pixel ratios, I was almost sure it did.

It does, technically speaking. TEXTURES can define any scale, and any type of graphics (texture, world sprite, hud sprite) can be composited. A YScale of 1.2 would thus apply a 1:1 ratio.

HeartstringsStudios said:

Oh OK, sweet. Thanks for the help!
Any idea why the engine does this?

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio

On properly configured CRT monitors, which were the only widely available and inexpensive consumer display device for computers at the time, this video mode took up the entire screen, which had a 4:3 physical aspect ratio. This meant that the 320x200 display, with a 16:10 logical ratio, was stretched vertically - each pixel was 20% taller than it was wide.

I've been looking through the textures documentation, but I can't figure it out. Would you be able to provide an example of how to use a sprite named MOTHA0 in the textures lump? And could you explain what a patch means in this context? Thanks, and sorry if I seem incompetent :/

Edit: so after quite a long time of looking through a lot of zdoom wiki pages and honestly just screwing with things in my pk3 until it worked I finally figured it out. Kinda wish the wiki was a little clearer on how things worked...