Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Phobos Spin-off

I'm talking about the Quake 3 Arena character. I'd like to see a game about that guy, a Doom spin-off, although we already know how that story ends according to his bio.

"An experienced veteran, he led the invasion of the demon-haunted tunnels of Phobos. There, he was betrayed by superiors who thought they could learn more from watching him die than by studying his reports."

"A courageous, determined soldier, used to command, Phobos has got that "officer and a gentleman" esprit d'corps. Unfortunately, his last mission taught him about betrayal and sabotage. He trusts no one and nothing except his training."

Looks just like an orange recolor of "Doom". Maybe he could have his own recolored Doom title screen? Or he's actually one of the (apparently many) incarnations of Doomguy?

The way the story was described, it's pretty much Doomguy's background (as we know it) or a loose variation of it. As fun as a Doom prequel would be as a spin-off, it'd be pretty redundant.

Job said:

The way the story was described, it's pretty much Doomguy's background (as we know it) or a loose variation of it. As fun as a Doom prequel would be as a spin-off, it'd be pretty redundant.

Probably, but I was thinking that it could be a Doom spin-off that breaks a few Doom rules so that it can offer something different, like for example giving Phobos a voice actor, instead of being the silent protagonist or giving him a few buddies at the beginning of the game who start dying one by one (rather fast) until you are all alone throughout the rest of the game.

Maybe even come up with exclusive new demons or an exclusive new weapon, some sort of prototype weapon that we haven't seen in any previous Doom games.

Xerge said:

like for example giving Phobos a voice actor, instead of being the silent protagonist or giving him a few buddies at the beginning of the game who start dying one by one (rather fast) until you are all alone throughout the rest of the game.

Why do so many people want the character to be someone? It's supposed to be you, you're supposed to pretend to be the person killing the demons, you're not supposed to drive around the person killing them.

I mean like, it's just odd to me.

Hoodie said:

Why do so many people want the character to be someone? It's supposed to be you, you're supposed to pretend to be the person killing the demons, you're not supposed to drive around the person killing them.

I mean like, it's just odd to me.

Regarding that point: I don't know if telling his story without him saying a word would really work, because it's a story about him being betrayed by his superiors and about his death, so I suppose some dialogue would be neccesary, but if it did I'd be ok with him being a silent character, but don't take it too seriously, it's just an idea in order to offer something different from the original Doomguy and Doom game.

Hoodie said:

You're certainly not supposed to be that guy whose face is at the bottom of the screen.

Splatter said:

You're certainly not supposed to be that guy whose face is at the bottom of the screen.

"The Doom Marine originally had no actual name because, according to John Romero, The protagonist is supposed to be YOU."

Right from the doom wiki dude.

Xerge said:

it's just an idea in order to offer something different from the original Doomguy and Doom game.

I'm not bashing it or anything I'm just saying it's weird to me and I feel like that's more of a movie thing and less of a video game thing. Unless the game specifically uses interaction with people like Fire Emblem or Silent Hill, and even then it could be still be a fun game without dialogue. To tie that into the doom engine though would be a game like Strife, I don't get why people like Strife.

It's just not my thing I suppose.

Hoodie said:

Right from the doom wiki dude.

Do you think it overrides the actual game? Doom's protagonist is presented with a face and personality distinct from the player's. That's not disputable.

Hoodie said:

I'm not bashing it or anything I'm just saying it's weird to me and I feel like that's more of a movie thing and less of a video game thing. Unless the game specifically uses interaction with people like Fire Emblem or Silent Hill, and even then it could be still be a fun game without dialogue. To tie that into the doom engine though would be a game like Strife, I don't get why people like Strife.

It's just not my thing I suppose.

Ok, but I wasn't really considering this for the Doom engine, it would work better with another engine.

Maybe we should ask id Software, or especially the writer who worked there during Quake 3 Arena.