Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

Same Map Layout Challenge

Proof of concept can be found here.

Greetings, fellow Doomers! After being on the forums for a bit and contributing a couple maps here, I think it's time that I host my own community challenge!

The objective? Make 3 maps, all from the same exact map layout, and make them feel different from each other without sacrificing gameplay.

How does one do that? Only the layout needs to be the same, meaning that you can't add or move linedefs, vertices, or sectors around. Everything else, including textures, floor and ceiling height values, things, effects, and lighting, can be played around with in order to make different maps from the same layout.

The maps can be as large or as small as you'd like. Slaughtermaps are discouraged, though I won't stop you if you do make one.

Now, on to map order. Everyone's map will be spaced out (i.e. one mapper gets MAP03, MAP13, and MAP23) except for a special mapper who only has MAP31 and MAP32.

This means that I will need 9 regular participants who will make 3 maps, and a special mapper for the secret levels. If you ask for the 5/15/25 slots, make sure to include a secret exit for MAP15..

Make sure all maps work in Boom format, complevel 9. The CC4 pack will be used for textures.

Deadline for maps will be August of 2016.

So, if you are interested in doing a community project never done before, then feel free to sign up!

Mappers:

1,11,21 : CWolfRU
2,12,22 : Royal_Sir (That's me!)
3,13,23 :
4,14,24 :
5,15,25 : Amarande
6,16,26 : DoomLover234
7,17,27 :
8,18,28 :
9,19,29 :
10,20,30:
31,32 :

Think I might give this a shot when the layouts have already been done.

Also, you should probably mention the target compat level, that's a good thing to have out of the gate.

Thanks for reminding me about the target compatability level, now included within the post.

Do you have a preference for map slots or do you care?

Forgot to mention: The Community Chest 4 Texture Pack will be used for this project. Custom music is allowed.

Cmon guys, only one confirmed taker (Thanks DoomLover)? Well, that's pretty disappointing, I might have to make this a private project then, and do it all by myself if that's how it's gonna be.

Anyway, I wouldn't have awakened my thread without progress: 1 and a half maps done, so I'm basically halfway through a layout.

Oil Rig (ain't much completed to see):

Castle:

Mind if I'll bump thread?

Layout done at 1/5.

Aaaand one question. Does custom .OGG able to use or MIDI only?

CWolfRu said:

Aaaand one question. Does custom .OGG able to use or MIDI only?

I think that Boom supports ogg files, so yeah, use them.

Nice layout so far by the way.

CWolfRu said:

Mind if I'll bump thread?

Since you bumped it I might as well show my progress.

I've been receiving people's doubts on the symmetry. I promise, it'll work out fine, you'll see. The maps themselves are finished, I just need to add Things to them.

I'll map for this, right after I'm done with my mutany map I would like to work on this.

MrGlide said:

I'll map for this, right after I'm done with my mutany map I would like to work on this.

I added you to the 7/17/27 slots. Good luck when you start!

I'm very sorry but I'm going to have to back out of this one, I just have way to much going on right now, sorry.

Sorry, MrGlide. I understand. Knocked you off the roster.

I added you, Amarande. Good luck!

Can't wait to see how that turns out CWolfWu, looks a little organicy and basey.

I'm still alive!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnjylwf3jicoxas/smlclay2.wad?dl=0

First open playtest of my layout. Designed for UV singleplayer, all non-D2 stuff self-contained.

Please report any bugs you may find, and any way to improve on this.

I'm considering stretching the rules to allow additional vertice placement within the layout, as well as having no restriction on decorations outside the playable area (think 1024clau).

Map 1: Welcome to Hell

Map 2: Production Disruption (my personal favorite visually)

Map 3: Into the Labs