Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

DOOM SnapMap - Infinite Possibilities, Endless Content

Flesh420 said:

Did they finally boot Willits? I haven't seen him in any picture of ID recently.

Oh man I cant f!@#$%^ wait for this game. I haven't been this excited for a customizing game mode since Halo 3's Forge. Warpath sounds like its gonna be a blast to play. I mean its king of the hill but with demons that's to good man.

Personally i cannot wait to put my hands on that snapmap, so i can finally invent my own modes using it, it sounds pretty cool (and hopefully it would be as easy it looks ) .

Flesh420 said:

Did they finally boot Willits? I haven't seen him in any picture of ID recently.

Tim Willits and Kevin Cloud are still there. They were both in the recent studio picture that was put out. But it seems they're more involved in managing the entire studio rather than managing the DOOM game itself.

I believe we have a couple iD employees on this forum, so they can correct me if I'm wrong.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Personally i cannot wait to put my hands on that snapmap, so i can finally invent my own modes using it, it sounds pretty cool (and hopefully it would be as easy it looks ) .

I hear that man. I'm pretty stoked to be able to do some cool stuff both on console and PC and share it with both communities. I think it's a great idea to make something like this available. And if they do decide to make it completely modifiable on PC as well, I think it would get a lot of younger Doom kids interested in modding just as the original Doom did for the old school community here :)

Honestly people say all the time that normal Doom mapping isn't all that hard. Maybe SnapMap will inspire a lot of could-be mappers to think things through and begin revisiting the classics with a new willingness to map?

MrDeAD1313 said:

I hear that man. I'm pretty stoked to be able to do some cool stuff both on console and PC and share it with both communities. I think it's a great idea to make something like this available. And if they do decide to make it completely modifiable on PC as well, I think it would get a lot of younger Doom kids interested in modding just as the original Doom did for the old school community here :)

It wouldn't take long period before they release Modding tools however, just like Fallout 4, it's modding tools will be released this april .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It wouldn't take long period before they release Modding tools however, just like Fallout 4, it's modding tools will be released this april .

Well hopefully they do this for Doom as well. But I was just saying that as a huge fan of Doom and it's mods since the beginning and not talented enough (or at least not having the time to really get in there and try to learn the stuff) to actually use the source code or the extensive modding tools available as it is, this seems quite promising for fans like me. Now if they do end up releasing a nice toolkit for all the savvy modders out there, this could be the kickstart for some of the younger or less mod-savvy people out there as myself to really give it a shot when they become available is all I'm trying to say.

If we end up really utilizing the SnapMap tools and get a firm understanding of what's going on inside of it, create successful and fun content that the community enjoys out of it with it's limitations, then if they release a full blown toolkit maybe the modding scene will see some newcomers and bring in new ideas for both classic doom and doom 2016 :D

I really can´t wait for this game, especially for making my own game modes and maps.
What will you guys be doing in Snapmap?

No clue yet. Hopefully making some kind of cool co-op maps. I wanna see some nice map sets made to feel like episodes or something since there's no campaign co-op :D

I'm really not sure how interested I am in SnapMap. From what it looks like, the whole thing is just bashing pre-fabs together and then dotting the map with entities. Yeah you can make up new game modes and what not, but the most interesting and personal part of mapping is completely lost for me here. I can't draw my own linedefs, texture my own floors and ceilings, or build my own architecture. Sure, I can snap the pieces together in any way that I want, but all the levels will still end up looking and flowing pretty much the same. Oblige levels are all technically different too.

I realize that with such an advanced 3d engine that this would be pretty unfeasible, but I still can't help but feel like this is missing some of the beauty of map making. I'll probably make a few maps in it before I just return to old school doom mapping.

watstha said:

I really can´t wait for this game, especially for making my own game modes and maps.
What will you guys be doing in Snapmap?

You know you or somebody should start a thread about awesome ideas we plan to do in snapmap. I think that would be cool to talk about.

Forget about a thread. The admins should create an entire sub-forum for SnapMap when the game releases so that we can all showcase our creations properly.

I would love to see a SnapMap sub forum as well. Probably a little early though but how many have you already built some maps on graph paper?

I am making a blue print of mine on GZDoom Builder - but that will probably not translate very well into the new doom.

I haven't kept up with the news in a while but basically SnapMap is a simplified level editor that uses already made assets/rooms to create levels right?

That limits a little the imagination and creativity. What about a full level editor that allows you to create absolutely everything you want? Any news on that?

id has made some very vague claims about expanding SnapMap later on down the road. I think we can expect something more substantial than what comes with the game, maybe later this year or early next year, depending on how well the game is received.

Pavera said:

I realize that with such an advanced 3d engine that this would be pretty unfeasible, but I still can't help but feel like this is missing some of the beauty of map making. I'll probably make a few maps in it before I just return to old school doom mapping.

I feel you. If it were up to me I dont know if I would have approved a puzzle piece map editor that you stitch together like a quilt. If it were feasible, I would have pushed for something a bit more intuitive. Something kinda of like wad author where you plot some shapes and you can mold them around like clay, and instead of picking textures like you do in Doom, you could pick motifs, such as hell wasteland, hell castle, ware house, computer station, steel foundry, nukage processing, etc. And depending on the motif you picked, you could simply arrange your shapes together and like floodfilling textures, the map would auto populate with physical features like metal beams, crates pipes, computer panels in a uac base level, and statues and torches and sacrificial burial grounds in a hell map. (dont inquire more about this, I haven't really fully manifested the idea)

But I feel the approach of using the prefabricated pieces is a safe way to ensure the custom content you play, no matter by how idiotic the level designer is, is going to somewhat resemble the quality of the base game. In 1994, the average gamer had a much higher tolerance for mediocrity, and were not in that generation anymore. 1994 wads were hard to play at the time and today most people consider them to be unplayable crap, and no doubt a new editor which allows a lot of creative freedom will need a year or two before people really start getting good at it, and by then, half the population will be completely off put by the idea of playing custom content. I'm really lucky that my first experiences with playing doom wads were with wads such as Alien Vendetta and Scythe 2.

I really dont think its very feasible for a new Doom game to seriously replace old Doom. Its just too perfect. But I can't deny that the new Doom game is doing a pretty competent attempt at embracing original Doom fans

Interestingly, they called the UAC 'United Aerospace Corporation' instead of 'Union' like the other games. Typo or name change?

Zemini said:

I would love to see a SnapMap sub forum as well. Probably a little early though but how many have you already built some maps on graph paper?

I am making a blue print of mine on GZDoom Builder - but that will probably not translate very well into the new doom.

I've been thinking of a simple idea. A large map with a giant maze taking up most of it. On one end of the maze a player will spawn as a baron, and on the complete opposite side is where the rest of the human players will spawn. The objective is basically to try and survive or kill the baron within the time period, and if the baron kills every player well obviously he wins. Humans will spawn with a shotgun and a pistol, and hidden deep within the maze are a couple of heavy weapons such as the chain gun or a rocket launcher. There will also be a couple of weapon mods for your pistol and shotgun for extra help, and maybe a mega armor for one lucky player to find. I've also thought about setting up timed rooms and hallways meaning that after every so often a hallway or room will continuously close off or open to a new location to try and make the map more confusing. I'm calling this game mode Theseus.

MrInternational said:

I've been thinking of a simple idea. A large map with a giant maze taking up most of it. On one end of the maze a player will spawn as a baron, and on the complete opposite side is where the rest of the human players will spawn. The objective is basically to try and survive or kill the baron within the time period, and if the baron kills every player well obviously he wins.

Sounds kinda like the new Friday The 13th game coming out :D

MrInternational said:

You know you or somebody should start a thread about awesome ideas we plan to do in snapmap. I think that would be cool to talk about.

I'd suggest we wait until Doom comes out. Then we can have an entire fucking forum topic on just Doom 4 Snapmap ideas/creations. I'd be SO DOWN for that! Being able to head here, find a new snapmap map to try, and just have a BLAST!

What i'd really love is an Arch-vile vs. Marines mini mode. I'm assuming that regenerating health and classes actually will be a possible coding option, i've always wanted to do this idea for original DooM but don't have the mod savvy.

Basically, its an asymetrical hardpoint domination mode. One team of 3 or so Arch-Viles with about 250 hp of regenerating health who have the ability to summon monsters, resurrect monsters and turn dead Marines bodies into zombies. And the other team is about 9 or so marines with 4 lives each, who start off with some basic weapons and armor, no regen health, maybe some kind of AI assistance depending on what assets are available. Basically the goal is to capture all the hardpoints or eliminate the enemy team, capturing hardpoints rewards the team with either monsters for the archviles, or weapons and equipment for the marines, and more hardpoints captured will yield better rewards (i.e. BFGs and Gauss Cannons for Marines, Revenants and Barons for the Arch-viles). Basically the goal is for both sides to enjoy some kind of onslaught, the Arch-viles have to get through around 36 Marines, while the Marines have to keep on killing a near endless supply of Demons and Zombies.

Also the Resurrections should be limited by ammo and restored through glory kills.

What think?

ChickenOrBeef said:

Forget about a thread. The admins should create an entire sub-forum for SnapMap when the game releases so that we can all showcase our creations properly.

Yeah we'll probably make this happen closer to launch.

CreamCheese said:

What i'd really love is an Arch-vile vs. Marines mini mode. I'm assuming that regenerating health and classes actually will be a possible coding option, i've always wanted to do this idea for original DooM but don't have the mod savvy.

Basically, its an asymetrical hardpoint domination mode. One team of 3 or so Arch-Viles with about 250 hp of regenerating health who have the ability to summon monsters, resurrect monsters and turn dead Marines bodies into zombies. And the other team is about 9 or so marines with 4 lives each, who start off with some basic weapons and armor, no regen health, maybe some kind of AI assistance depending on what assets are available. Basically the goal is to capture all the hardpoints or eliminate the enemy team, capturing hardpoints rewards the team with either monsters for the archviles, or weapons and equipment for the marines, and more hardpoints captured will yield better rewards (i.e. BFGs and Gauss Cannons for Marines, Revenants and Barons for the Arch-viles). Basically the goal is for both sides to enjoy some kind of onslaught, the Arch-viles have to get through around 36 Marines, while the Marines have to keep on killing a near endless supply of Demons and Zombies.

Also the Resurrections should be limited by ammo and restored through glory kills.

What think?

The archviles can be killed in one ssg. Not to mention their attack is much harder to use than any marine weapon. Marine team is op even without 4 lives each. Demon team's rq and server lies dead.

CreamCheese said:

What think?

Snapmap multiplayer is limited to 4 players, I think.