Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

Linedef Action 20 (change floor)

Ok. I'm confused how this works.

I have a sector linedef (lowest number) next to the sector I want to mimic for the change floor action on this linedef action.

I can't get it to work right. Any help will be appreciated.

http://files.tolwyn.com/floortst.wad

From what I understand, the tagged sector should rise to the next higher floor and change it's floor texture via the neighboring sector adjacent to the linedef that has the lowest number....

Seems straight forward...

iirc it's the sector that the switch is a part of (or facing?) that gets its properties applied to whatever the tagged target is.

I don't understand how the sector would ever change then?

If it's self-referential, there's nothing for it to change to.. unless you mean the BACK side??

Nope that didn't work, either.

So the key is that the sector affected cannot be the sector that the SW1 LineDef 20 is triggered by...

(in my example wad, the sector the player is hitting the switch)

It has to be detached (control sector optional).

Is that it? Am I missing something else?

It doesn't have to be detached, I was just trying to illustrate exactly which sector gets its floor transferred; the sector that the switch linedef is facing.

It is possible that vanilla can't facilitate your desired use case though, I'm not sure the circumstance in your actual map. But you can achieve a couple parlor tricks with the linedef special, like having the sector in front of the switch just be as small as possible, and depending on the lighting/textures the player might not notice the "hack"

Ok, but you're answering the question.

It's the linedef that has the special that controls the target sector.

Maybe it's the Donut thing that has the lowest-numbered linedef?

So yes, a small sector in-front of the linedef with the action. Ok. I can work around that.

EDIT: Wait. It's the same thing as self-referential. Even if you have a small sector... you're not going to get any height.

GAH!

You'll get the texture change, and the sector special, but no floor movement.

Vorpal said:

It doesn't have to be detached, I was just trying to illustrate exactly which sector gets its floor transferred; the sector that the switch linedef is facing.

It is possible that vanilla can't facilitate your desired use case though, I'm not sure the circumstance in your actual map. But you can achieve a couple parlor tricks with the linedef special, like having the sector in front of the switch just be as small as possible, and depending on the lighting/textures the player might not notice the "hack"

I think I understand the limitations of the linedef action 20.

And that's okay.

I want to stay within the confines of "vanilla doom" on this... but just remember some stuff about lowest-numbered sidedef... which doesn't seem to apply here.

It's hard for me to talk about myself or read others' explanations of linedef logic, so I'll just try and speak with another example:

Is this along the lines of what effect you wanted? http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/tolwyn_floortst2.wad

If you zoom in close to the switch linedef you can see the parlor trick

Tolwyn said:

... but just remember some stuff about lowest-numbered sidedef...

Stairbuilding relies on a long winded scheme involving numbered sidedefs and orientations, but only when explained verbally. Once you follow the rules and see how it looks in the editor it's simple(ish) to implement