Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plasma Gun

Doom Deathmatch

Anybody interested in setting up regular Doom/Doom 2 deathmatch sessions? These days it's hard to find a multiplayer Doom match in the vanilla maps and/or without some crazy/weird mods.

I'd love to do weekly tournaments/games if anyone is interested.

The iwad maps are garbage for dm. There are many good reasons nobody plays them. Best I could say is maybe try for Last Man Standing on the iwad maps, that is sometimes fun.

Yes unfortunately other than map 1 from doom 2, none of the original maps are very good for DM. Even then map 1 is only good for 1v1. However, if your up for some old school DM via chocolate doom I'd be down. I'd love to do some old school DM pwads like dwango5 or Gothicdm.

I'd be willing to play deathmatch with you on iwad maps.My favorite map is map05 of doom2. It was very popular on xbox live doom 2 back when it was alive.

Hit me up in #dmstuff on quakenet some time :)

If you just want OS deathmatch (no mods) I still recommend using a good pack of custom maps. Duelpak.wad contains some of the most commonly played vanilla maps, there are several other good oldschool packs as well.

As vulture said, join in #dmstuff some time, when I'm not working I'm generally free for frags!

Decay said:

The iwad maps are garbage for dm. There are many good reasons nobody plays them. Best I could say is maybe try for Last Man Standing on the iwad maps, that is sometimes fun.

Some people on ZDaemon enjoy playing the original Doom / Doom 2 IWADs for DM. I don't know why, but they enjoy the slow hide n' seek gameplay.

Plasma Gun said:

Sweet, I'll figure out how to join #dmstuff.

Join in here: https://webchat.quakenet.org/

I just made a beta release of a 20-map classic levels DM map pack. The premise was to take the parts of the classic levels that were more conducive to proper deathmatch. One issue I have before my final release is that I can't get some of the textures to load for MAP13, so it's included in a separate file (I think you have to load KevinDM.wad before KevinDM13.wad).

There are a few other things that might need fixing/balancing, and I have to learn how to properly loop midis through (or by selecting different midi's), but it's pretty solid so far, I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1wvbwfetitii0g/KevinDMbeta.zip?dl=0

If you'd be interested in playing, I'm in US Central time (Chicago) and would love to test this out (regular maps are OK as well). I can probably set up a server if someone can show me where to host files.

My favorites on this pwad that I created are 05, 07, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20. I started to really hit my groove as I went, I feel.

-Kevin

Generally if you're looking for some OS Deathmatch the IWAD maps won't get you very far (unless it's in Last Man Standing). If you're looking for some of the best packs for OS Deathmatch, then you'll probably want wads like Greenwar, Brit10/11, Dwango12, Exec, et cetera.

If you are looking for 1v1 or Team Deathmatch on Zandronum, you might check these out:

Duel40
ZandroTDM

That's why I made the map pack I did (linked above)...takes original IWAD maps and makes them more suitable for deathmatch. Classic charm, better gameplay.

This reminds me a lot of a wad I put together a few years ago that our circle of buddies always played: http://www.doomshack.org/wads/e1deathm.wad

We love playing OS stuff like this, you'd fit right in. I'll have this wad up on the Doomshack cluster soon, would you prefer it hosted on Zan, ZD or Odamex?

There are a few recommendations I have for the maps:

-Never have a BFG next to a blue armor
-Always make Blue Armor and Soulsphere hard to get, harder than the BFG even. They are two very powerful items in DM, essentially acting as extra lives. Before placing a blue armor, consider if a green armor will be sufficient.
-Never use invisibility. It's really unfair in DM. I know it can be funny to rack up frags when people can't see you, but it gets stale fast and you regret it in the long run.
-Avoid dead ends. Some of these maps have halls that leave you with nowhere to go, and such traps tend to frustrate players.
-Try to avoid overuse of damaging flats
-Avoid overuse of doors, especially doors that close. Don't be afraid to make your door stay open permanently, it serves much better for the flow of gameplay.
-Try to avoid 64px-wide spots. Stretching them to be 128-wide and reworking the textures accordingly will improve flow.

Despite these 'flaws', I'd really like to see how this goes in a big FFA. I don't think any of these are suitable for duel due to their size. Even though it still has flaws, check out that wad I linked for a bit of inspiration regarding reworking iwad maps. (Also remember that most players really hate iwad reworks, lol. A few of us have fun with it though!)

Thanks for the info...I am making some updates based on what you're suggesting. Nothing huge, but some weapon re-balancing and I'm going to fix the problem with MAP13. I will say that I like doors sometimes. But you're right and that they don't need to be there that much.

Will update you tomorrow, eh.

Howdy, Doomkiddo. I updated the wad.

Also, I liked the one you had as far as the redone classic levels. I guess the only fundamental difference between yours and mine are that you did bigger overhauls to create a more "connected" map, whereas I preferred the layout of the levels naturally for the most part. Not sure if you dug into my levels a ton, or just browsed them, but you will really like some of these. I would LOVE to play, even 1v1, and I think the familiarity most people have with the maps will make it fun. Even if there aren't many people that love old Doom maps, I think the ones that do will love our maps.

If you'd like to host my map, here is a link to what I'll call the final one (I wish I knew how to properly loop midis...that's the only thing that isn't near-perfect on them.

I decided to keep doors in some cases because I think it makes it feel more "classic Doom" that way, but I did eliminate some unneeded stuff. I will do a public post on the main multiplayer forum in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zbxk2isv9x5bu7/KevinDM.zip?dl=0