Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frisky

Doom II Textscreens on MAP01?

Is there a way to make a textscreen after beating MAP01 on Doom II or other maps?
I know how to make clusters, but how do I put it on a specific map?

Cluster entertexts/exittexts appear when the player travels between maps that have different clusters. So you need to assign different clusters to MAP01 and MAP02 ("cluster" keyword in map definition) and set the MAP01 cluster's exittext (or MAP02 cluster's entertext) to any text you want.

Putting a MAPINFO code for MAP01 and MAP02 didn't work, but a code for only MAP02 worked, but it just showed the normal text.
Also, I'm gonna need a specific code. I put this one in and it's not putting in the custom text.

map MAP02 lookup "HUSTR_2"
{
    flat = "FLOOR4_8"
    music = "$MUSIC_RUNNIN"
    entertext = "Testing!"
}

map MAP01 "X" {
  cluster = 1
  next = MAP02
}

map MAP02 "Y" {
  cluster = 2
}

clusterdef 1 {
  flat = "FLOOR4_8"
  exittext = "Testing!"
}

clusterdef 2 {}

...aaaand the sky disappears.

EDIT: Also, for shits and giggles, is there a way to change the quit messages?

Understand: The "map" command redefines the respective map. All previously defined properties of the map will be forgotten, including sky, next map, music, etc. So if you want MAP01 and MAP02 to retain their original properties except their clusters, you need to look up their default definitions in ZDoom's MAPINFO for Doom 2, paste them into your own MAPINFO and only change the clusters. The same principle applies to clusterdefs, basically.

Frisky said:

EDIT: Also, for shits and giggles, is there a way to change the quit messages?

Yes, via "quitmessages" property in GameInfo block in MAPINFO.

Is it possible to add a textscreen BEFORE entering MAP01?

In other words:
1) Pick difficulty
2) Textscreen
3) MAP01 begins

I tried setting MAP01 to its own cluster and putting entertext for it, but it doesn't work.

You have to make a dummy first map that immediately ends itself and goes to MAP01 (through an intermission). Use episode definition to make the game start on this dummy map instead of MAP01. The maps should have different clusters so that the exittext of the first one or entertext of the second one displays between the levels.