Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaJuice

Doom3 modding & mapping: anyone planning to?

I just read 'Future of Doom' thread and I'm wondering, is anyone here gonna attempt to make maps or possibly a mod for D3?
I would love to turn some of the ides in my head into a living, breathing world, I might just give it a shot.

I'm definetly planning to mod for Doom III. Of course I'll have to see more of the game before deciding on anything, though I've got a few ideas already. Maybe a couple of us Doomworld guys could work on something together.

I'll probably have a go at mapping, although if ever I get a new computer, I'll learn how to model, then I'll see what I can do with Doom 3.

Lord FlatHead said:

I'm definetly planning to mod for Doom III. Of course I'll have to see more of the game before deciding on anything, though I've got a few ideas already. Maybe a couple of us Doomworld guys could work on something together.

I'd be happy to help you =)
But first let's wait for DOOM III to come out..

The_Tonx said:

I'd be happy to help you =)
But first let's wait for DOOM III to come out..

Yeah I'm with him too!

I'd be more than happy to collaborate with ppl on this forum when the time comes.
I think there are a couple more guys here who are proficient with 3d, how about coders?

I've never touched the level editor for Quake3 (Radiant or whatever it's called) but the editor for Doom3 is supposed to be an updated version, right?
How good is the support for importing geometry form apps like 3d max?
I can model just about anything (not to sound arrogant), and my mouth is salivating at the thought of putting the things in my head into the doom3 engine.

One more question, how difficult will it be to get custom made monsters into the game. I know it'll be hard, first you have to model the high-poly, then low-poly, then animate the thing (a lot of work if you're gonna do it right).
Then there is the issue of getting the detail onto the low-poly version. I think a commercial plugin has just been released that creates normal maps from a high poly model for a low-poly model.
Is that how Doom3 works?
Somehow I don't think id will provide the tools for putting your own creatures into the game.
How will this work then, if it'll work at all.

Peace!

DaJuice said:

I think there are a couple more guys here who are proficient with 3d, how about coders?

I've been getting into C++ lately. I'd like to give it a shot.

How good is the support for importing geometry form apps like 3d max?

Quake3 already supported this to a degree (MD3 models treated as geometry and compiled into the BSP file), and my guess is it will be very straightforward to get your MAX stuff into the Doom III editor.

Somehow I don't think id will provide the tools for putting your own creatures into the game.

I'm sure they'll release as many tools as possible. Creating new monsters is a lot of work though, especially if you want to get close to id quality. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

I'll definitely rework some of my QIII maps for Doom III (.map format should still work)- particularly as I don't have to wait an age to compile them hopefully.

As for modding, if C++ is used then I'll do that as well.

I don't know about MAX, but I'm pretty sure that Lightwave models are accepted since they talk about it and that we see it in the interview movie.