Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

Mark Klem updating his Studio (New music coming)

Hey, guys.

So, I've finally been successful in encouraging Mark to get back into music composition. And he's reluctantly jumped on the crowdfunding bandwagon to get some much-needed software.

Mark is leveraging crowdfunding (GoFundMe) to invest in Propellerhead Reason. Part of the endeavor is to raise the money to help buy the software, of course, but part of it is to gauge interest.

If you're interested in checking out what he has in mind I encourage you to visit his GoFundMe page:

https://www.gofundme.com/zyqweks4

Crowdfunding isn't for everyone, and I get that, but if we can get even 30 folks to chuck $10 at him... he's going to give all music he creates over the next 2 years free to any participants.

I know I have a personal, selfish reason for pimping this... I want to hear what Mark can do outside the General Midi sound set. And if this helps guilt his ass into writing music, I'm all for it.

:)

Tolwyn

This is so awesome to hear! Reason is a great program and I'm definitely excited to hear what Mark could do with it!

mark linking to wikia, instant nope

But seriously, it's great to see that he's getting back into composition.

*I* linked to Wikia, not Mark, so blame me, please.

Mark is a pretty private person... so blame me for that one.

Just out of curiosity because I might not understand... why and instant nope? You can PM me... Did I do something stupid?

AD_79 said:

mark linking to wikia, instant nope

But seriously, it's great to see that he's getting back into composition.

Tolwyn said:

Just out of curiosity because I might not understand... why and instant nope? You can PM me... Did I do something stupid?

The DoomWiki was since moved over to doomwiki.org, due to complications with wikia's interface and advertising. Because reasons, the wikia page cannot be taken down (and it's now maintained by god knows who), and we can't improve doomwiki.org's search rank if people keep linking to the wikia page.

Tolwyn said:

Thanks, guys... I really didn't have any idea on this.

That's fine, can't blame people for not knowing. There's only so much advertising the proper wiki can do, and there's nothing the community can do about the evil version's existence.

Good stuff Tolwyn, Reason is a fun piece of software that you can do a lot with. I'm in for $13.54 Canadian dollars.

Chipped in. It's only a small amount, but considering how much entertainment I've gotten from Mark's work from the early megawads of Doom I really should give thanks!

I truly appreciate your generosity. The response has been far more than I imagined. I haven't been around for a while (hence why I was very hesitant to even try a FundMe program), but I see the community is still here and in full force.

Thanks so much to David Shawls (or whatever his name is) for helping/forcing me into this. Thanks, pal!!!

I really do appreciate you guys. This is the best thing ever.

markklem said:

lol Bloodshedder, I actually had a stunt double do that interview for me. He has since been terminated.

Haha!

an_mutt said:

Chipped in. It's only a small amount, but considering how much entertainment I've gotten from Mark's work from the early megawads of Doom I really should give thanks!

Yes, same here! I will make a donation in about a week's time, as it's the least I can do for the music I've enjoyed so fondly during my time with DOOM. If there was a poster of David & Mark I'd be having it on my wall back in junior-high.

Dude I'll so easily put a few bucks Mark's way, he produces some of my all time favorite game music and has given my ears hours of joy. Strain and MM soundtracks, can't go wrong!

EDIT: Just sent $11.22 AU. It's seriously the least I can do for the like 2 decades of use/enjoyment myself and others have gotten from all his MIDIs. (For this same reason I'm glad Jimmy started his MIDI commissions!)

Donated. I've been playing Doom for the better part of my life at this point, and Mark's music has always been a welcome companion for the ride. The best of the stuff just doesn't get old....when the DWMC played Strain a few months back, after essentially finishing map 13 I just stood there in the exit room for something like 10 minutes, just listening to "Land of Able" loop over and over again. That's the stuff!

Thanks for all the memories, Mark, and best of luck with your latest endeavors.

Demon of the Well said:

when the DWMC played Strain a few months back, after essentially finishing map 13 I just stood there in the exit room for something like 10 minutes, just listening to "Land of Able" loop over and over again. That's the stuff!

Man, that track is so underrated. I'd say it's one of Mark's best midis (well, it's at least one of my personal favourites) and it never gets used! I don't think I've ever heard it outside of Strain MAP13.

/me adds that to list

AD_79 said:

Man, that track is so underrated. I'd say it's one of Mark's best midis (well, it's at least one of my personal favourites) and it never gets used! I don't think I've ever heard it outside of Strain MAP13.

/me adds that to list

Totally agreed. I'm also a big fan of "The Wind", which unfortunately I don't believe I've ever encountered outside of its appearances in the original Memento Mori (though of course I will load music WADs to play with mapsets that just use stock tracks, and so have heard it a fair few times regardless!).

Heh, zyqweks4 totally sounds like the name of an Aphex Twin song.

Demon of the Well said:

Totally agreed. I'm also a big fan of "The Wind", which unfortunately I don't believe I've ever encountered outside of its appearances in the original Memento Mori (though of course I will load music WADs to play with mapsets that just use stock tracks, and so have heard it a fair few times regardless!).

I want to say that I've heard The Wind in at least one other wad. I can't be sure though, since I can't remember which one, and it might have just been me playing with mmmus.wad as well.

for those who don't know, Klem has a Youtube channel full of great renditions of his pieces. Definitely check it out.

Http://youtube.com/user/markklem/

Honestly I'm surprised an HD music wad for MM hasn't been compiled using a mix of stuff from his and JD Herrera's channels. 90meg music wads are all the rage these days, this would be one rare case where it's 100% worth it.

A great big "thank you" to everyone that gave a little of themselves to this cause. I have your email addresses, and as soon as I can get this magic working, you will get your just desserts. This is going to be an enormous project, and I cannot wait to do what I have planned. We are halfway there.

Thanks again!

I'd forgotten all about this but I kept my promise today.

Looking forward to new projects as I enjoyed and regard very highly of the Memento Mori, STRAIN and Requiem soundtracks which graced the big '90s megawads.

Wow. I realize it's Mark's place to give acknowledgement, but prematurely I still gotta hand it to "Joshua Jones" - he donated 150$ and the goal is now reached thanks to him. Mark and David; continue on with your DOOM-music, pleaaase...!!!!! :-D

As far as I'm quite disappointed I couldn't donate a cent due to not being a working citizen (yeah, shame on me at the age of 23), I'm also happy that nevertheless the sum came together and Mark now can go on with composing. I was a real fan of the game Wacky Wheels, also the Memento Mori series and Requiem, so I'm looking forward to how his project eventually succeeds. :)

Mark's music is pretty great, been listening to the stuff on his youtube.

I really should play the Memento Moris.

...or maybe I should make Mark cringe and play his "Cringe" episode? :p