Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Chocolate Doom

OK thanks both, that's useful. Yes, Debian will regenerate the autofoo anyway, but it's considered "nice" if we work from the "blessed" tarball, so our orig tarball checksum matches upstreams, etc.

This post leads to the following nitpicky idea:

Vanilla demo limit determines whether the demo size is limited . . . This toggle does not affect playback of demos of any size.

(from here). Does Chocolate imitate vanilla in failing to play back a demo too large for the available memory pool? If not, should it? If so, does the maximum length vary with the -mb parameter?

Searches aren't helping me much, presumably because there are very few six-hour demos :> although a real use case was proposed by Opulent: a UV max movie of a high-difficulty vanilla megawad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't chocolate doom just keep allocating RAM? -mb just controls the minimum pool.

I think it sets a hard limit on allocations. It definitely impacts when cached resources are expunged.

So I haven't played chocolate doom since digital music packs were just added, and had to figure out how to use them all over again.  It took a bit of searching to get it set up.  The included files in the 3.0 windows download did little to explain what was actually needed.

I think including the needed CFG files would make setting up a lot simpler.

I'm also wondering if adding support for metadata loop tags is possible, or if the tags ( <LOOP_END> and <LOOP_START> ) in Brandon Blume's sc-55 recordings need to be renamed to work if it's already implemented.

Yes, I've been meaning to contact Brandon and see if we can get a config file included with the music packs. I recall that I asked him before if he'd be open to it and he said he'd be happy with it. Loop tags are actually already implemented, though at least one person recently claimed this wasn't working properly.

The basic summary is you want to create a directory somewhere containing all your music packs, looking like this:

GfmgZq0.pngExtract individual music packs into subdirectories. In the setup tool, there's an option named "Digital music pack directory". Point it at the location of this drectory and you should be good to go.

I just re-tested with both Flac and Ogg files and neither looped using the metadata timings, both played to the end of the fade-out and started from the beginning of the recording... Well, tested e1m1 since that's the one song I'm most familiar with.

I play on Win10

Sorry for getting back to you so late.  Yeah, your update worked... crazy windows being so picky

i recently went back to try out chocolate doom 3.0.0 and with native midi selected, if i start the game via double clicking on the .exe i have midi sound playing via VirtualMIDISynth. if i start choco doom via .bat file i get no music. any suggestions?

for reference: i do not have this issue with crispy doom 5.1 - native midi starts (via VirtualMIDISynth) when i load up via .bat file

22 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i recently went back to try out chocolate doom 3.0.0 and with native midi selected, if i start the game via double clicking on the .exe i have midi sound playing via VirtualMIDISynth. if i start choco doom via .bat file i get no music. any suggestions?

for reference: i do not have this issue with crispy doom 5.1 - native midi starts (via VirtualMIDISynth) when i load up via .bat file

What did you wrote in the .bat?

chocolate-doom -iwad doom2.wad -skill 4 -warp 20

crispy-doom -iwad doom2.wad -skill 4 -warp 20

midi plays via virtualmidisynth in crispy, but no music at all in choco.

starting via double clicking on .exe gives midi music in both

Hmm, that's kind of strange.

When I first ran it through batch file with the same commands you have there, I didn't hear midi either.

Until I changed it to -warp 19 and then back to 20, then I had midi in map20. ~ weird.. 

I have an idea for a special Windows launcher. It will heavily resemble Doom95's launcher and will have a checkbox that says "Merge", which will load a file with -merge instead of -file. Unfortunately the only language I know is DECORATE. That's all I have for now.

ZDL is good enough, except for merge command. And it's open source.

I always wondered if it was worth there being a Chocolate version of Doom95 itself, but the only wad I could really see benefiting from it would be Crusades maybe. Alternatively, what if Chocolate Doom's setup program had Chocolate DOOM-IT built in?

3 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I have an idea for a special Windows launcher. It will heavily resemble Doom95's launcher

This has been suggested before, but I don't think the Doom 95 launcher interface is in any way something that people should try to copy. It's a pretty bad, overcomplicated and cluttered UI.

14 minutes ago, fraggle said:

This has been suggested before, but I don't think the Doom 95 launcher interface is in any way something that people should try to copy. It's a pretty bad, overcomplicated and cluttered UI.

And yet it is a classic part of Doom that people remember...

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

I meant it will resemble Doom95 while also being way better designed, and I was more on the merging feature that other launchers don't have.

I'd rather just see the mac launcher built on Windows and Linux.

9 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I was more on the merging feature that other launchers don't have.

You'd have to get the -nwt option too.

Sorry to veer off topic for a second, but quick question:

Does Chocolate Strife support the single player campaign of Strife: Veteran Edition or only the original DOS version?

It only supports playing it identically to the original DOS version (vanilla). Strife: VE comes with the unmodified IWADs strife1.wad and voices.wad, all of the SVE-specific changes are in SVE.wad, so installing/using SVE to get the vanilla IWADs is perfectly fine.

Also, that wasn't an off-topic question at all :)

Another question:  For Chocolate Hexen, in order to run Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, what would the command for it be?  It's not explicitly mentioned in Chocolate Hexen's install.txt file:

Would it be something like this?

chocolate-hexen -iwad hexdd.wad

or

chocolate-hexen -iwad hexen.wad -file hexdd.wad