Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Chocolate Doom

I play Chocolate on my desktop at home and love it but on my laptop it gives a weird distorted audio and I don’t know how to fix it? Both are Windows 10 PC’s.

Really love Chocolate Hexen and Heretic, plays just how I remember years ago, and its the only "Vanilla" Heretic source port as far as I can tell. But I had downloaded Chocolate Strife out of curiosity and was wondering if Strife was originally meant to be played like Heretic or Doom as far as freelook is concerned?

NationwideMoose have you tried adjusted the sound settings in "Chocolate Doom Setup"? And if so, have you also tried updating the drivers in Sound or Audio input/output?

8 minutes ago, Beezle said:

was wondering if Strife was originally meant to be played like Heretic or Doom as far as freelook is concerned?

You mean limited to separate keys for looking up/down at a fixed speed? Yes.

21 minutes ago, xttl said:

You mean limited to separate keys for looking up/down at a fixed speed? Yes.

Haha exactly! Thanks again xttl.

When you're loading .hhe files for Heretic, is the command still "-deh" rather than "-hhe"? That's what CMDLINE.txt seems to suggest, but I'm still not seeing the effects of the patch I made. This is probably because I'm doing something else wrong, but I figure I should at least ensure I'm loaidng it properly before heading to the "editing questions" board.

EDIT: Okay, I figured everything out. For anyone else wondering, yes, it's still "-deh".

Edited by SiFi270

3 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Fraggle, What the fuck is this all about!? I just want to play Chocolate Doom, I shouldn't have to jump through any hoops to play an offline port!

Is this an April joke? And what's about the version number? Where the heck did you download this from?!

Can you MOVEBOB 0 & FOV change in chocolate doom?? like does it have a way to do it on a notepad or something.

NVM I forgot this port aims to emulate the original as close as possible, but I like the chocolate one too.

52 minutes ago, jeroa said:

how does doom chocolate doom run on slow computerr?

Have you tried changing force_software_renderer to 1 in your chocolate-doom.cfg? If that doesn't change anything, can you post your computer specs?

1 minute ago, mun said:

Have you tried changing force_software_renderer to 1 in your chocolate-doom.cfg? If that doesn't change anything, can you post your computer specs?

But didn't that actually degrade performance?

Hello.

I don't know where to mention this, and I don't have a GitHub account, and my english is not good.

About Adjoining_sector limit, looks like is different in Vanilla DOOM.

I was playing WAD DARKHELL in Chocolate-DOOM, and on the map E2M8 this error appears when using the elevator:

"Sector with more than 22 adjoining sectors. Vanilla will crash here"

I know it is a limitation of the engine, since it is like this in "linuxdoom-1.10 SRC".

But in Vanilla DOOM this does not happen on that map.

EDIT

I make a wads for test this.

Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor
This action works differently on Vanilla DOOM.

22TEST.WAD - E1M1/MAP01
23TEST.WAD - E1M1/MAP01 - Chocolate-DOOM - Abort program
24TEST.WAD - E1M1/MAP01
25TEST.WAD - E1M1/MAP01
26TEST.WAD - E1M1/MAP01
27TEST.WAD - E1M1/MAP01 - Vanilla DOOM - Works weird
28TEST.WAD - E1M1/MAP01 - Vanilla DOOM - Crash

Vanilla DOOM does not check if it has been exceeded,
so start writing in the adjacent memory.

Chocolate-DOOM
On "LinuxDOOM 1.10 SRC" was added a check for prevention the crash.
Whit a limit to 20+2 sectors.

By exceeding 22 sectors, the program closes.

WADs:

https://mega.nz/#!UdkWkQKI!FN0SddQZsoCWRsiItfBSzOyp-8uNMGfY7GwwC3ZGOQY

--------------------------------------

NOTE: Thanks Edward850 for the info.

Edited by Demmon B.M.

Chocolate Doom isn't crashing, it's aborting before it does crash. A subtle difference but it's part of the reason why the limit is 22; The maximum number of adjoining sectors is still 20, but vanilla did not actually test if this limit was exceeded so it'd start writing into adjacent memory. The results thus are unpredictable, as you've demonstrated yourself with 27TEST.WAD with the result "Works weird", and 28TEST.WAD straight up crashing. It's worth noting the check that you see in the LinuxDoom source did not exist in vanilla.

Because Chocolate Doom has to operate in a protected memory environment, it has to hard cap the limit, still allowing 21 for overflow emulation and has to end at 22.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:04 AM, Edward850 said:

Chocolate Doom isn't crashing, it's aborting before it does crash. A subtle difference but it's part of the reason why the limit is 22; The maximum number of adjoining sectors is still 20, but vanilla did not actually test if this limit was exceeded so it'd start writing into adjacent memory. The results thus are unpredictable, as you've demonstrated yourself with 27TEST.WAD with the result "Works weird", and 28TEST.WAD straight up crashing. It's worth noting the check that you see in the LinuxDoom source did not exist in vanilla.

Because Chocolate Doom has to operate in a protected memory environment, it has to hard cap the limit, still allowing 21 for overflow emulation and has to end at 22.

Thanks for the info.

I will edit the post and leave the maps for anyone who wants to try.

EDIT

I have tried in all versions (Not betas/alphas)

Sector Up to 25 with one click, then works normally. (Sometimes it can reach the roof of the map.)

26TEST.WAD - Vanilla DOOM 11, 12
27TEST.WAD - Vanilla DOOM 1666 (Pirated, Normal, German), 17, 17a, 18 (Normal, French), 19 (Normal, Ultimate, Final, Anthology)

Crash
27TEST.WAD - Vanilla DOOM 11, 12
28TEST.WAD - Vanilla DOOM 1666 (Pirated, Normal, German), 17, 17a, 18 (Normal, French), 19 (Normal, Ultimate, Final, Anthology)

In Chocolate-DOOM, I have reached the "crash" in 28TEST.WAD increasing the limit "MAX_ADJOINING_SECTORS 20" to 24 in p_spec.c,

but does not generate the behavior in 27TEST.WAD.

Edited by Demmon B.M.

Chocolate Doom's INTERCEPTS overflow emulation seriously impairs the limit-removing capability of the Crispy fork. Please remove the threshold, as more or less detailed maps are doomed to this overflow.

Concerning the port to behave like Vanilla in demos, is it even possible to record a demo in Vanilla with INTERCEPTS overflow? 

Edited by Zodomaniac : Exactified what I meant

39 minutes ago, Zodomaniac said:

Chocolate Doom's INTERCEPTS overflow emulation renders Crispy fork useless. Please remove it, as more or less detailed maps are doomed to this overflow.

You're being sarcastic, right? 

Right? 

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

You're being sarcastic, right? 

Right? 

Edit: I just realized I sounded sarcastic, like I suggested removing the fork and not the limit... My apologies. I do enjoy Crispy Doom and have been doing what I can for improvement of the port for ~4 years. I am familiar with Chocolate philosophy, but what if holding fast to it in this aspect hinders the community initiative, like limit-removing maps being actually affected by a rather strict limit?

Edited by Zodomaniac : Clarified my point and apologized for misunderstanding

2 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

I am familiar with Chocolate philosophy, but what if holding fast to it in this aspect hinders the community initiative, like limit-removing maps being actually affected by a rather strict limit?

There are many Source-Ports to make a maps without limitations, including Chocolate-DOOM Plus.

9 minutes ago, Demmon B.M. said:

There are many Source-Ports to make a maps without limitations, including Chocolate-DOOM Plus.

Thank you for the link, the INTERCEPTS limit is not mentioned there though. Crispy does remove the limits except INTERCEPTS that is kept for netgame compatibility with Choco, and that's a major stone in the boot for mappers who hope for limitless size and detailing of the maps.

AFAIK that's choco with the Doom+ hack and that limit is not even increased.

It was obvious he was referring to remove the limit and not the fork. IMHO the limit should be removed for single player, and if it crashes while recording demos well then you can't record demos on that map.

@drfrag The situation is: Choco emulates the INTERCEPTS overflow (broken sectors etc) beyond the Vanilla 128 level up to 'Choco limit' 189. Choco crashes if said limit is exceeded, Crispy doesn't crash but still simulates the overflow beyond Vanilla 128 with broken sectors. The question I raised is that the 128 limit should be removed in Choco and its demo/netgame compatible fork Crispy, as Vanilla will not even record a demo with INTERCEPTS overflow.

Thanks for the clarification, i thought it crashed in Crispy.  I didn't fix any of the non game crashing bugs in RUDE (that's the real limit removing Choco). There are other bugs that can ruin your game. I've found some interesting info:

Demos with INTERCEPTS overflows are also rare, as they sometimes result in a crash with the vanilla engine, and often in "all ghosts" behaviour, which in most cases makes it impossible to exit the map (you need to find a damage/exit sector, which most maps don't have). There also appear to be a few where the overflow is small and has no effects.

The limit won't be removed from Choco because it is needed for vanilla demo compatibility. This sounds like a Crispy issue so I suggest you take it up with Fabian.

If you can't play a map in Crispy Doom, try PrBoom+, Eternity, or GZDoom instead of asking for Chocolate Doom to betray its core philosophy of being exactly like the original engine, warts and all.

Also not being able to play one map does not render Crispy Doom "useless".