Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Chocolate Doom

Recommended Posts

Chocolate Doom uses software rendering - the exact same software rendering code used in vanilla Doom. But the result is a 320x200 screen and modern monitors have much higher resolutions, so we have to scale up to fill the screen. It's at this point that we use hardware acceleration, since it can actually be fairly CPU intensive to do the scaling in software.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Chocolate Doom uses software rendering - the exact same software rendering code used in vanilla Doom. But the result is a 320x200 screen and modern monitors have much higher resolutions, so we have to scale up to fill the screen. It's at this point that we use hardware acceleration, since it can actually be fairly CPU intensive to do the scaling in software.

And do you think that OpenGL 2.0 would be enough to run CD with the GL scaling without stressing my PC, or do I need a GPU that supports a newer version of OpenGL?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, xzotikk said:

And do you think that OpenGL 2.0 would be enough to run CD with the GL scaling without stressing my PC, or do I need a GPU that supports a newer version of OpenGL?

 

Most ports require GL 2.1 or so for this, so any reasonably old PC should be more than fine running Doom. Not GZDoom though, that's for modern and more powerful machines.

 

But we won't know how it will play on your hardware if you don't try it.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, it works. But I still don't feel comfortable running stuff on a machine which doesn't meet the min. requirements. I almost feel helpless about the fact that my PC isn't good for Doom, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, xzotikk said:

And do you think that OpenGL 2.0 would be enough to run CD with the GL scaling without stressing my PC, or do I need a GPU that supports a newer version of OpenGL?

Scaling up the screen is one of the simplest possible things you can do. I'd expect it to work well with pretty much any hardware you try.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, xzotikk said:

Well, it works. But I still don't feel comfortable running stuff on a machine which doesn't meet the min. requirements. I almost feel helpless about the fact that my PC isn't good for Doom, lol.

If it works, it's all good. Out of interest, is it running smoothly?

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Scaling up the screen is one of the simplest possible things you can do. I'd expect it to work well with pretty much any hardware you try.

Even GL version older than 2.1? That'd be cool, but I guess I can't expect much with an archaic PC nowadays :<

 

Edit: Yes, it runs smoothly.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, xzotikk said:

Even GL version older than 2.1?

Scaling is something that OpenGL 1.0 could do perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, fraggle said:

Chocolate Doom uses software rendering - the exact same software rendering code used in vanilla Doom. But the result is a 320x200 screen and modern monitors have much higher resolutions, so we have to scale up to fill the screen. It's at this point that we use hardware acceleration, since it can actually be fairly CPU intensive to do the scaling in software.

 

And another non-obvious benefit from OpenGL rendering: it can be easily captured by game capture method of OBS studio software, especially if you use non-aero OS theme (for example classic theme in win7) and window capture is not an option for you in this case. So, if some games (or ports) doesn't support OpenGL rendering, I forced to "hack" them with DxWND software, to force them to render their output to OpenGL

 

So, I want to say many thanks to all port authors, who added OpenGL rendering system to their ports

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, theleo_ua said:

So, I want to say many thanks to all port authors, who added OpenGL rendering system to their ports

*OpenGL displaying.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, seed said:

 

Most ports require GL 2.1 or so for this, so any reasonably old PC should be more than fine running Doom. Not GZDoom though, that's for modern and more powerful machines.

 

But we won't know how it will play on your hardware if you don't try it.

So is it GL 2.1 and up or GL 1.0 and up? I'm kind of confused right now.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't know if this has been suggested before but could Choco Heretic/Hexen allow binding artifact cycling to the mouse wheel? I think it would be convenient for some people.

Share this post


Link to post

I was considering suggesting it myself. In ports like ZDoom I have "use item" bound to the middle mouse button and cycling through them to the two buttons on the left side.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/2/2020 at 11:56 AM, SiFi270 said:

I was considering suggesting it myself. In ports like ZDoom I have "use item" bound to the middle mouse button and cycling through them to the two buttons on the left side.

It's the one thing from other ports I wish Choco had. Well, that and level stats in the automap, but I guess the later is not possible due too not being a vanilla feature at all.

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly don't think adding better mouse binding options is out of the question. These things can be achieved by programs that send keypresses when certain events occur. It's just more convinient to have it in the setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

This reminded me there's also a hotkey for the Time of Power. It's even told on the "Help" screens in vanilla so it's not like it's obscure or anything. It'd be cool if this could also be allowed to be remapped too. Just a suggestion of course.

 

heretic controls.png

 

I think Hexen has even more hotkeys.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, unerxai said:

This reminded me there's also a hotkey for the Time of Power. It's even told on the "Help" screens in vanilla so it's not like it's obscure or anything. It'd be cool if this could also be allowed to be remapped too. Just a suggestion of course.

 

heretic controls.png

 

I think Hexen has even more hotkeys.

 

1) Vanilla Hexen has hotkeys from 5 to backspace for items, something like this:

 

backspace invuseall
\ "use ArtiHealth"
0 useflechette
9 "use ArtiBlastRadius"
8 "use ArtiTeleport"
7 "use ArtiTeleportOther"
6 "use ArtiPork"
5 "use ArtiInvulnerability2"

 

2) There is a port, called Russian Doom https://sourceforge.net/projects/jnechaevsky/files/Russian Doom/3.3/ which based on Chocolate Doom, Doom Retro and Crispy Doom. This port allows you to bind any heretic and hexen item to any desired key in keyboard (except some exotic or multimedia keys which SDL will not allow you to use). I'm not sure about binding them to mouse keys, but I can ask RD developer to implement this, if it's not hard

 

In current version of RD it is possible to bind mouse wheel scrolling for next/previous weapon, and to bind keyboard keys for next/previous item, so I think it's possible to implement binding mouse wheel for next/previous item

 

Edited by theleo_ua

Share this post


Link to post

@theleo_ua Looks like a great port! I'm a little surprised so few people talk about it, because you can even change its language to English. Maybe it's very popular among Russians.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, unerxai said:

@theleo_ua Looks like a great port! I'm a little surprised so few people talk about it, because you can even change its language to English. Maybe it's very popular among Russians.

 

Previously it has only Russian language, and English was added just a year ago (as I remember)

 

BTW: there is a chance that item keybinds will come to Chocolate Heretic: https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/pull/1236

 

https://github.com/JNechaevsky/russian-doom/commit/d0356943a48c48c7db36a674bd24a908340999c0#commitcomment-36712800

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I checked the link and looks like bindings for other artifacts (like in Hexen) would be added to Heretic according to that? I could be wrong. I mean only the Tome of Power has a hotkey in vanilla Heretic iirc.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, all available artifacts in Chocolate Heretic are planned to be bindable. Tome of Power will be binded to Backspace by default and can be rebinded.

I just have to make few corrections in pull request to make all the things proper.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Alright then. It may not be very vanilla-y but it improves the playability of the game a lot.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm trying to run a server for some friends to play some co-op, but running into an issue where any time they try to connect, they lose connection.
I've port forwarded properly, and it says that my server is up on the master list, but even when they directly connect via my address, they lose connection after a few moments.

Is there something I'm missing? I've noticed that it seems to be pretty consistent no matter what setup I use.

 

EDIT: I've tried the exact same setup with Crispy Doom and it worked there. Seems to be a problem exclusive to Chocolate Doom for some bizarre reason.

Edited by The Civ

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, The Civ said:

I'm trying to run a server for some friends to play some co-op, but running into an issue where any time they try to connect, they lose connection.
 I've port forwarded properly, and it says that my server is up on the master list, but even when they directly connect via my address, they lose connection after a few moments.

Yes, this is a known bug that has been fixed in daily releases - please use a build from http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/ and see if it fixes the problem for you.

Share this post


Link to post

 How do i connect to the master server? Do i still need to do the port forwarding thing? Moreover do i actually need to connect to the master server to play online?

Share this post


Link to post

By default all servers register themselves with the master server unless you make them private. Run 'chocolate-doom -server' and after a few seconds a window will appear telling you whether your server was successfully registered. If it wasn't, you probably haven't set up port forwarding correctly.

 

If you're having problems, try using a daily build as the latest versions support UDP hole punching that can sometimes avoid the need for port forwarding entirely.

 

You can play online without using the master server at all. Run with -privateserver and tell your partners your IP address to connect to. Again, making sure that port forwarding is set up is still important though.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, xzotikk said:

So is it GL 2.1 and up or GL 1.0 and up? I'm kind of confused right now.


What matters is that if it works on your PC, your card meets the system requirements :)

---

Hey I have a question:
First of all, can the various DMXOptions be exposed in the configurator? I noticed a short while back that when using the Konami Code in the setup, the DMXOption is set to -opl3 -reverse. I understand that -reverse is there because vanilla doom actually reverses the stereo by accident, but it would be cool to have that option in a configurator (or for that matter, the wiki 0_o)

Speaking of which...

 

-phase exists

 

this intrigues me.

---

The autoload feature is very nice, but I have some questions about the default path: Notably, the defaulting to the users %roaming% folder, which seems bound to cause issues when:
Mod authors include a daily build of Chocolate Doom with their mod with the config file pre-included (I may or may not have encountered such an instance)

Multiple users use the same chocolate doom instance (eg, on a computer with multiple user accounts).

Edited by Grizzly

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, it doesn't work i get the failed to register with the master server error. I don't want to mess with the router configuration, what if someone else runs the server?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×