Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Love that stuff Mr 14! The structure on the beach in the second pic of the middle row is just too Doom to be true, where is that from?

glenzinho said:

Love that stuff Mr 14! The structure on the beach in the second pic of the middle row is just too Doom to be true, where is that from?

I found it off hand, but as I had the source, I did some reverse image searching and found the source: http://noemiegoudal.com/observatoires/

Which is great for more inspiration! Glad you asked.

There's websites like "Architecture of Doom" (not referring to Doom so much itself), and various blogs about Brutalism (a type of architecture with raw, imposing structures) which is what I'm basing my map loosely on.

I've found those to be excellent idea generators for working on maps.

everennui said:

I played this without the brutal pack and I thought it looked really nice. It's a bit too tough for me on every difficulty. I walked around with God mode on in the first map after trying to beat it 4 times first on UV and the backing down. It seems like all the difficulties might be the same, but I really like the detail that you put in to it. I'd see something that looks like you need to jump to get - almost ready to push alt-tab to say, "I'm telling." No... it seems like everything is obtainable by running fast.

Where do I put the texture packs, weapon mods, etc. to play custom maps like this? It's not in the doom folder, is it? If it helps, I use Zandronum to execute .wads.

There aren't any difficulty levels yet, but I will definitely put them in when the levels are all done. I'm definitely going to make the hard difficulty hard though. But you really need to play with brutal doom to enjoy the levels. The balance is way different. Most monsters have way more life in vanilla doom and move differently, and the hitscan enemies aren't actually hitscan - you can dodge them if you move quickly enough.

You don't need to jump in any of my levels. I like making a skill component to secrets if possible, where you have to move in particular ways to get somewhere. Makes it more interesting than just clicking on a wall.

I'm not super experienced with using doom mods, but when I play with brutal doom I put the wad and brutal doom in the same folder, select them both, then drag brutal doom onto zandronum (or zdoom or whatever).

Thanks for playing my level and giving feedback :)

Chezza said:

I am making a one man Megawad and want to know the experience and feedback of someone in similar shoes that isn't a famous mapper - so no positive bias

For the love of god give yourself a full plan and don't even think about just winging it through the mapping process. Why? Because once you hit the infamous Mapper's Block and doodle the hundredth mindless sector only to delete everything your motivation will drop like a lead fucking balloon.

janvknn said:

Does this count?

I like!

What is this? And why haven't we met?

city layout I sent for NOVA II way back when that was still a thing not released yet. if anyone wants to I can provide a link to the layout because I really have no motivation to map anymore.

Well I did work on a modification for Doom that's kinda shitty.... anyway it's a sub-mod for Smooth Doom, and I asked Gifty for permission if I could release it. He said it's OK, as long as I credit the people that made the sprites and him of course.

So here it is.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gritty-doom

It's called Gritty Doom, and it's something I kinda made for fun. There's still a couple bugs (cause I'm lazy and stuff. =P)

And well, I just made it for fun.

I credited everyone who made the sprites.

I take no credit, all I did was code in more death animations! =P

haschischtasche said:

I just pushed, "Q." :/ Looks good!

https://imgur.com/a/jG08U

Short breather thingamajig from my "big" project (just one map really xD, A fairly big one though). It will be for boom. No release yet as this is just a side map.

Here is another side map too:

https://imgur.com/a/8PaIp

As for the big project, well, I think I've shared more than enough in the "post your doom pictures" thread and various places. I have one or 2 vids of it on my youtube channel too.

I'm very nearly finished with episode 2 of my retro-style megawad "Hell For Leather", and for the first time in my mapping career I'm really happy with how it's turning out, particularly this map, "The Bleedout."

Some screens:

Spoiler

The idea of the megawad is to feel like a hypothetical third party expansion that might have existed, like a Final Doom The Way Someone Else Might Have Did. It uses the Doom 2 IWAD, but follows the classic 3 episode structure and is influenced a lot by Ultimate Doom's architecture and texture use.

I'm working on a short vanilla compatible episode. It may even become Doom2.exe compatible if I can figure the DEUSF stuff out for the flats.

Screens from current map in progress:

Spoiler

@glenzinho: hey, that looks cool. Dig the color use; what texture pack is that?

Cheers Gifty, I'm using a combination of Cage's texture packs 1 & 2 from Realm667 for the most part with a few other choice textures as I need them and the sky is from Plums' skies 1b. I am also using the Simplicity pallette, but I'm not sure if that will remain.

I have been working on updating 3 of my old levels that were originally made 4 years ago.

MAP01: Shorline Base - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9j3xkV1sU
MAP02: Central Facilities - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCbCCQA-xM
MAP03: Refined Disaster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QICRHFxWKdM

Download

There is no real theme tying these 3 levels except that they are in the same wad together.

Feedback welcome!

glenzinho said:

I'm working on a short vanilla compatible episode. It may even become Doom2.exe compatible if I can figure the DEUSF stuff out for the flats.

Went over to Glen's and played this, it's awesome stuff - Keep your eyes on it, people!

DooMAD said:

Been at this one on and off (mostly off) for a few years now:

(click for biggerer version)
http://www.teamhellspawn.com/tab_ad.png

Or if you want to play the unfinished, in-progress version, click here to download.

I played your level. I mostly enjoyed what's there, but there are a few things I think you can improve. The level of detail is impressive and the sound effects of the "water" are cool and add atmosphere. I died a few times on UV, mainly due to chip damage from hitscanners (and lazy play). Ammo was fairly well balanced in the first half of the level, but I ended up with 100 shells before the "end".

I don't like how many of those little" balconies" open up with hitscan enemies in them. I think it'd be better if those areas were already open, because as it is you're constantly having to backpedal to get line of sight on them (while getting hit by them), and it happens often enough that it's a bit repetitive.

I think you could make a bigger contrast in the lighting between indoor and outdoor sections. At the moment everything kinda blurs together. If you increase the brightness of the outside sectors I think it'll look better.

The level is very monochromatic. I think you could find ways to break up the brown - maybe have some areas a different color, or add some colorful details. Working on the lighting could help this too, but I think you could work on making different areas of the level more distinct.

The fight in the room with the red skull door was set up in a cool way - how all the enemies appear when you enter. But there were too many enemies to fight inside that room, so I just backed out and it became a doorway fight. If you had a few less enemies in the room you could lock the player in and it'd be a good fight.

I hope this helps :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666
valkiriforce said:

GOD DAMN

I'm sorry, is nobody going to address the pretty-ass sky in this screenshot?

I'm working on several projects, but my main project is currently a wad which happens in a spatial universe. The environment consists of neon bridges, intergalactic towers, spaceships, and space castle... The player will evolve on a distant split asteroid infested with monsters.

franckFRAG said:

I'm working on several projects, but my main project is currently a wad which happens in a spatial universe. The environment consists of neon bridges, intergalactic towers, spaceships, and space castle... The player will evolve on a distant split asteroid infested with monsters.

Damn, I really like the layout so far :D

The description makes me wanna play this ASAP. Will it be as hard as your other works (swift death...)? :)