Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Fonze said:

Tritnew, if you need help, send me the map and a drawing of the plan and I'll walk you through one or two real quick.

Will do, I'll definitely be sure to credit ya when it's done.

Very very much a WIP. I had three big "chunks" planned for this map, and I've mapped out the geography for about two of them. Texturing, enemies, and all that good stuff to come. Having a lot of fun playing around with teleporters.

untilitdies said:

http://i.imgur.com/cAhp2XF.png

Very very much a WIP. I had three big "chunks" planned for this map, and I've mapped out the geography for about two of them. Texturing, enemies, and all that good stuff to come. Having a lot of fun playing around with teleporters.

Reminds me of Heretic or Vanilla Doom for some reason... pretty cool map-layout IMHO.

DoomzRules said:

Reminds me of Heretic or Vanilla Doom for some reason... pretty cool map-layout IMHO.

Thank you very much! I'm trying to take inspiration from the early levels of Doom without copying stuff; I'm most excited to see if I can get the idea I want working (the big triangle near the top).

A few new screens (From work mostly done this week):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Started playing with my Killing Time rips, and a few rips from another guy.

That looks pretty epic, floatRand. Could just put a Cyberdemon behind every pillar and it's cool, lol.

ptoing said:

That looks pretty epic, floatRand. Could just put a Cyberdemon behind every pillar and it's cool, lol.

Spoiler

Heh. Too bad I couldn't push it much past that, I kinda floundered around, trying to wonder up a proper layout.

In meantime I am doing some other small map. Not abandoning the previous one, but trying to experiment a bit.
Spoiler

The lighting effects in Proxyon of Sunlust were awesome, so I have to try my hand at them. With voodoo, of course.

Very very WIP; only getting base textures down for everything, and I'll be adding decorations and enemies later.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to make these areas better, sans picture 5; the startan/lava textures on the raising bridge are a placeholder until I've finished with that part of the map.

untilitdies said:

Very very WIP; only getting base textures down for everything, and I'll be adding decorations and enemies later.

http://i.imgur.com/eaweT6a.png
http://i.imgur.com/tTfha7h.png
http://i.imgur.com/elB2Ffl.png
http://i.imgur.com/CSMydn2.png
http://i.imgur.com/IxcUyRi.png

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to make these areas better, sans picture 5; the startan/lava textures on the raising bridge are a placeholder until I've finished with that part of the map.

hmm.. I'd say that the big grey textures are kinda ugly, but if you're set on using those maybe make the rooms darker and add lighting to certain parts? Also adding contrast in color is a good idea, that's why I use hints of blue flats in boring rooms.

Right, I don't like using the grey textures, but the issue is that I can't find any that fit that don't scale weirdly or look super out of place (i.e. Startan2). Will definitely use more of the blue flats though; the better areas of my map already have some of those.

Been working on a Heretic E1 wad. Some of these levels are a couple years old but I recently picked them back up after a long Doom mapping hiatus. I decided that Heretic would be fun to do something different, and I found some old unfinished halfway decent levels of mine, so I've been touching them up and finishing them off.

For some reason at the time I had decided to make them very non-orthogonal. I guess I was going for a sort of organic unplanned medieval town feeling and now I've been stuck with trying to continue to emulate that work. I keep getting tons of slimetrails that I have to go and fix up, but hopefully it's worth it to make something that feels different from the normal 90 & 45 degree angle Heretic maps.

Looks good Miss Bubbles! All five of us Heretic fans will enjoy checking them out.

Whoa, that Heretic map looks amazing!

untilitdies said:

Add a bunch of color, some mid-textures to break the monotony. In the last picture, you could add some of the squares with a darker interior, those in the second picture. Maybe some windows showing the sky too.
Also, something I've learned is that a room twice as big is four times as hard to get looking good. If the layout can survive that, make the rooms smaller.

Impie said:

Well THERE's a huge 90s throwback: sketching Doom levels on paper.

Wait, doesn't everyone do that?

I've got back to mapping and I've been poking around at my forbidden project. I hope you like surrealism.

Oh, hello again Albertoni!

Ahem, back in topic, I am doing my take (or something like a inspired map by original E1M1) in E1M1, for most parts getting to do something similar to stuff in E1M1 (Not a copy, though), with some "original" parts thrown in (Or more like alternate interpretations of some parts in the level). I will possibly release it tomorrow.

I may also later take screenshots (Or finish and publish the WAD) of a Deathmatch map I'm creating.

i know i said this like 1 month ago but... im almost done with this map i promise!

that just the exit to the toxic plant map. after this place its done its just matter to detail the other areas. add monsters here and there. and finally i can take a rest for a while until i plan how i will make the next map

Fonze said:

Looks good Miss Bubbles! All five of us Heretic fans will enjoy checking them out.

Haha thanks. I've always had a soft spot for Heretic. It's no Doom, but it's got a nice setting and feel to it. It's a shame about the lack of content, but it's nothing a few custom textures and sprites can't fix!

Albertoni said:

Whoa, that Heretic map looks amazing!

Thank you! I just hope it plays well. I feel like I'm better at making a map look decent than I am at making something that has interesting gameplay.

floatRand said:

*picture*

I wish I could adjust the gamma and zoom in a little bit. The detail on that looks really sweet!