Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Today I started working on a Boom map that is meant to exploit a little speed-bug. I have no clue if this works in vanilla Doom, but in my version of Boom you can accelerate quite a bit by strafe-running into a double-sided line. I've been aware of this bug for years now, but I never had the idea to make a map that actually uses this mechanic. I also tried this in ZDoom, but it doesn't work.

Maybe somebody can tell me more about it? I can't be the first one to know of it.

image_2017-09-13_16-54-23.png

image_2017-09-13_16-54-58.png

I am trying to figure out if I like this particular area or not. It is part of the space-station-in-void subarea that is turning out to become a ten minutes adventure. Provided I am not doing any changes to my plans, this whole doom wad will probably clock in at around 20-25 minutes length of playtime. This was not planned, and it will be the biggest doom wad I've so far made.

yYxa1MZ.png

The 100 linedef limited map pack (I've slowly been tinkering away at) now has the working title "BYTE-SIZE".

This is the latest addition - MAP01 ENTRYPOINT

EDIT: This map is Boom compatible; complevel 9

(hopefully the d/l works better than the super unoriginal map name)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqgqf5v9qrrcmtx/MAP01-ENTRYPOINTv1.wad?dl=0

NB: There is a visual glitch in the "elevator" when using GZDoom that I haven't been able to address.

ENTRYPOINT2.png?raw=1ENTRYPOINT3.png?raw=1

ENTRYPOINT0.png?raw=1

Edited by traversd : Complevel 9

Still dabbling with the re-remake of Operation Body Count. I have the general idea that in addition to clearing every floor of terrorists, you'll have to secure other objectives throughout the mission. So every "episode" would be a separate mission consisting of one big multi-level map. Also each mission is based on an action game that had to do with an arab terrorist takeover: E1 is Rescue: The Embassy Mission (NES, Amiga), E2 is The Persian Gulf Inferno (Amiga), and E3 is the plot of the original OBC where you finally face off with Victor Baloch.

Not sure what to do about the music. Here I'm using Amiga tunes, cos I'm not sure I wanna go with the soundtrack to OBC or not.

On 12.09.2017 at 6:21 PM, Nirvana said:

Hey guys, been a while since I posted progress screens, so here they are. I changed the palette to use cyan instead of green, so I have been toying with that for a while and have been using it to accent certain areas of the map and to create an area that is distinct from the deep blues everywhere else.

Here are some pics (all still work in progress and in the editor for the angles I want and due to there being no monsters/gameplay yet):

cyan building.jpg

cyan cave 1.jpg

cyan cave 2.jpg

cyan cave 3.jpg

cyan entrance.jpg

cyan triangles 2.jpg

cyan triangles.jpg

This looks astounding. Can't wait to play it

2 hours ago, Impie said:

Not sure what to do about the music. Here I'm using Amiga tunes, cos I'm not sure I wanna go with the soundtrack to OBC or not.

I see I'm not the only one who likes the music from Breathless. Did you ever play the game? I played it back in '97 on my A4000T. It remains my fave Doom clone of all time. I especially love the fog effect.

Are you good at editing Amiga modules, given that PrBoom seems to have so much trouble with looping ProTracker files?

A few years back, Tiziano Cappiello, author of the Breathless soundtrack, did a remix of the very tune you used at the end of your video. If you're interested, here it is;

18 hours ago, Steve D said:

I see I'm not the only one who likes the music from Breathless. Did you ever play the game? I played it back in '97 on my A4000T. It remains my fave Doom clone of all time. I especially love the fog effect.

Are you good at editing Amiga modules, given that PrBoom seems to have so much trouble with looping ProTracker files?

A few years back, Tiziano Cappiello, author of the Breathless soundtrack, did a remix of the very tune you used at the end of your video. If you're interested, here it is;

I'm not an Amiga person in the slightest unfortunately, I just think the games and music were really cool and enjoy it from a historical perspective. A lot of music from the Amiga scene was very distinct and sometimes still finds its way into modern games, like Rochard.

I did try to get an emulator to work once but I couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

On 14/09/2017 at 10:08 AM, Steve D said:

Steve, i might be barking up the wrong tree here but if you're looking to get Amiga music into Doom you could use Audacity to record the music then save it as .ogg which will work in Boom/zDoom...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Steve, i might be barking up the wrong tree here but if you're looking to get Amiga music into Doom you could use Audacity to record the music then save it as .ogg which will work in Boom/zDoom...

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot. There's really 2 different problems I face. First is the looping problem, mostly limited to PrBoom, and second is the volume problem. In one of my mapsets, I'd been using all MODs except in 1 map, where I used an mp3. I eventually swapped out the mp3 for the Agony Rhapsody midi. In GZDoom, the midi was thunderous compared to the surrounding MODs, while in PrBoom, it was barely audible. For all I know, maybe I could switch something in my setup to even this out, but trying things in .ogg format is intriguing. I've never used .oggs, so I'm not sure if there's going to be weirdness between the source ports, but if it works, I'll be forever grateful, Scotty.

Hi all, new here.  Thought I'd try my hand at Doom mapping for the first time.  Please tell me what you think.  So far I'm having a blast doing it.

Screenshot_Doom_20170916_221156.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170916_221202.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170916_221234.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170916_221259.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170916_221310.png

@MrCoinOp Hi, welcome to doomworld! I must say, if this is your first map, its really impressive! I mean, detail wise you've clearly got an idea how you want the map to look. Theres some texturing issues I personally have a problem with, but thats just my personal tastes clashing.

One tip! that last picture? unpeg the upper texture to the right of the door that isn't alligned properly. should make it allign just the way you need it too.

Please keep uploading pictures of this map! I really like it!

1 minute ago, Phade102 said:

@MrCoinOp Hi, welcome to doomworld! I must say, if this is your first map, its really impressive! I mean, detail wise you've clearly got an idea how you want the map to look. Theres some texturing issues I personally have a problem with, but thats just my personal tastes clashing.

One tip! that last picture? unpeg the upper texture to the right of the door that isn't alligned properly. should make it allign just the way you need it too.

Please keep uploading pictures of this map! I really like it!

Cheers man.  I'm guessing the 'U' key would do the unpeg thing?  I've been using the arrow keys to do all textures so far.  The abstract design of Doom levels is a hell of challenge, but you guys here have been making some amazing stuff!

9 minutes ago, MrCoinOp said:

I'm guessing the 'U' key would do the unpeg thing?  

I just use the Upper Unpegged flag. Are you doing it all in Visual Mode? If so, just point at a wall and right-click to bring up a dialog box that has all your linedef flags. I hope I'm not blathering what you already know, but use both Upper and Lower Unpegged for things like windows or any other opening in a wall that leaves you with textures both above and below.

You're definitely off to a flying start. I really like the classic look here. Keep going!

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

I just use the Upper Unpegged flag. Are you doing it all in Visual Mode? If so, just point at a wall and right-click to bring up a dialog box that has all your linedef flags. I hope I'm not blathering what you already know, but use both Upper and Lower Unpegged for things like windows or any other opening in a wall that leaves you with textures both above and below.

You're definitely off to a flying start. I really like the classic look here. Keep going!

Oh that option!  I had no idea what that did.  Thanks man. What do you guys do for ideas?  Sketch on a piece of paper first?  Or just feel it due to experience?

Edit.. my andriod tablet is not playing nice with quoting

@MrCoinOp My latest map i've just been building as I go. I think of a room, build that, then think of a good idea to connect to it. But lots of people have different ways of designing their maps.

Also, an important tip. if you find yourself stuck on how to build a room, take a look at other wads. Not just at the texturing or enemy placement, but actually PLAY the wad that you like the look of, and look around a room and see what they had in mind when they designed it.

I'm working on my first solo entry on /idgames (well, hopefully I can get through /newstuff) named Etomana.

Map01

Spoiler

21106411_10213137346415870_3704136156278

Map02

Spoiler

21371220_10213232034823021_2364240270687

Map03 (WIP)

Spoiler

21740608_10213281547660811_6950949940662

I planned on doing 6 maps wad. But I guess I see about that.

Edit: Credit to @Phade102 for willingly test my maps. I feel appreciated