Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

3 hours ago, spd7693 said:

Would you link me a thread about how to do it? 

Basically doing this (sorry for late reply but it didn't post for some reason):

image.png.4087c6fe405cae69d918b8e3778276eb.png

image.png.046be11eb788418caa5bccd0caac7bf2.png

I recently stumbled across the Rebel Moon games and thought they were pretty cool. So i ripped a bunch of resources from them and made this. 

Screenshot_Doom_20180428_150406.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180428_150425.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180428_150432.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180428_150438.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180428_150522.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180428_150451.png

Edited by MrD!zone

@AbsorbedHatch 

I'm trying to make the map Vanilla compatible. Thus I shouldn't build with like ZDoom - a source port I even don't have installed. I play with GLBoom+ and only with GLBoom+. Well, I would have played Vanilla if I had a computer with an OS like Windows 2000. Basically I don't like ZDoom for the facts that you have to kill lost souls and that it causes breaks in the engine. I even use the old version of GLBoom+. Somehow I didn't learn how to work with the new one. So, I'll have to see what I can do with the basic builder on Doom 2 properties. (Sorry if I speak complete bulls***.) I'm saying this only because I saw that you have added this detail via a ZDoom builder. 

I already added the carpets in the rooms and made a different flooring of the way from the back door to the living room. (The front door is just a texture. To indicate the demons have blocked it permanently. Thus Doomguy has to go through the whole house and go out through the back door.) Also, I don't wanna put too much detail so that the map doesn't come out like XBox Doom's Sewers or TNT's Habitat - especially in the last map mentioned too many cooks spoil the soup. The type of detail I'm paying most attention to is the combination of textures and making clear lines. The only things I have problems in this one is when I make vertexes too close to each other and Thus I have to edit the whole room to clear the lines. But that's off topic. 

7 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

(moulding / trim screenshots)

Never use sectors for detailing if you can get away by using a (custom) texture instead.

@spd7693 grab chocolate doom if you want get the closest vanilla doom experience on modern systems. 

Gzdoom builder aka zdoom builder as you said supports vanilla doom/doom 2 format without any problems, don't get be fooled by "gzdoom" thing. If you want modern doom builder 2, get doom builder x, it's buried in doom editing section and it's updated frequently.

Edited by Myst.Haruko

@Myst.Haruko Is really everybody here hating GLBoom+? I said I use no other source port. If something works, then don't change it. I already am used to GL. I respect the choices, but it seems mine aren't respected. 

This isn't about choice respect, it's about what you stated:

6 hours ago, spd7693 said:

I'm trying to make the map Vanilla compatible.

As such, test in a 'vanilla' environment. Chocolate doom is an emulation of vanilla. GlBoom is not. Boom is not. etc.

1 minute ago, spd7693 said:

@Myst.Haruko Is really everybody here hating GLBoom+? I said I use no other source port. If something works, then don't change it. I already am used to GL. I respect the choices, but it seems mine aren't respected. 

No. I use the same. Chocolate doom is just suggestion if you want build true vanilla maps and see how engine will handle it. More ports, more chances to see how's played. Don't assume that nobody respect your choices, I'm just giving tips that you can use or ignore it. 

So that's how I can test in Vanilla. Thank you, I'll get it. Just because I really need to know how my maps will work there. Then I'm getting Chocolate Doom in order to fix problems about the maps. Thanks. And let's stop changing the topic of this thread. 

Just another regular general enhancement mod.  Trying to get it ready for the first alpha release.

I'm gonna disagree with some things here. First:

4 hours ago, Mordeth said:

Never use sectors for detailing if you can get away by using a (custom) texture instead.

Maybe under vanilla limits, or in cases where the detailing can affect gameplay, but aside from that simple banding around areas through new sectors+textures improves the look of otherwise massively monotextured walls by at least a factor of 2. Trim is almost always a good thing, whether vertical or horizontal.

That said, it is good to maximize texture use, as you noted, especially for working within vanilla limits.

7 hours ago, spd7693 said:

I'm saying this only because I saw that you have added this detail via a ZDoom builder. 

Yeah that has absolutely nothing to do with map compatibility. Literally draw a sector, raise floor or lower ceiling, and texture; that is vanilla compatible.

However, that said, for all the myhouse.wads we've seen over the years that haven't been fun at all to play, I think the bland look of your areas and unrealistic texturing (for a house) are going to be the least of your worries. Especially without 3d floors, polyobjects, an eye for detailing/texturing, or known faux-3d tricks up your sleeves. Myhouse.wads, especially vanilla ones, are cute at best and laughable at worst. Good luck.

19 minutes ago, Fonze said:

However, that said, for all the myhouse.wads we've seen over the years that haven't been fun at all to play, I think the bland look of your areas and unrealistic texturing (for a house) are going to be the least of your worries. Especially without 3d floors, polyobjects, an eye for detailing/texturing, or known faux-3d tricks up your sleeves. Myhouse.wads, especially vanilla ones, are cute at best and laughable at worst. Good luck.

The story of the wad starts in a house. Of course, Doomguy wouldn't live in this small of a house, but at least the thought is that his family is using it for some time. One day when he, his wife and his daughter get attacked, the two women get kidnapped. All he can do is grab his pistol and run to the basement to reach for his chainsaw. That's why the start is in the basement where a chainsaw resides. 

In the further maps there will be further good ideas. Did you see the 9th one? It has a very different concept than this. Furthermore, look at the monster placement. There are 9 ways to beat it and each has big advantages and disadvantages. Like for instance the time you pick the plasma rifle. So I'm not just locking within the house I've made for the first map. 

Also, I already put carpets on and fixed the chairs to look like actual chairs. That's all I can do for now as well as maybe add some moulding in short. If you think it's not gonna work, I respect you, but to me it's just a map. That's my story, that's my start. Wife and daughter kidnapped from home. I'm not guilty I'm family oriented and hopeless romantic, I've decided the story to start this way. 

A lot more's changed than you think. Can you guess what the big difference is?Screenshot_Doom_20180429_180726.png.faaa1f5646bb5e5991010fd3eeff81aa.png

Spoiler

Hint: it's not in plain view ;)

I just finished this remix of The Ultimate Doom.  22 levels, includes all of episodes 1-3 and a chunk of 4.  GZDoom required.  I got really good at editing and have some fun new (I think they are new) ideas, particular on Inferno.  Here's the tag for the post that I just submitted a minute ago.

A sunken ship in an ocean of blood. (very simplistic for now )

It's my WIP map for Interception II.

doom178.png?width=1051&height=657

doom175.png

38 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

How did you make that BFG floating in the air???

You can make every item float by simply clicking on it in 3d mode and scrolling.

Since that project is boom compatible, it could also be a fake ceiling/floor effect

On 4/29/2018 at 3:58 PM, mgr_inz_rafal said:

Me having fun with spatial anomalies :)

That's really cool! I really like the textures you used.