Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Lost inspiration for the Doom project I was working on (for now) but gained some new inspiration. Working on a Hexen hub, with 4 maps planned (including the central hub). This is the swamp / ruined village-themed map.

Screenshot_Hexen_20180502_011704.png

Screenshot_Hexen_20180502_011735.png

Screenshot_Hexen_20180502_011821.png

Screenshot_Hexen_20180502_012525.png

image.png.219b4792eac283161ad18a3003dccec9.pngimage.png.509198f05ac322e03725b564a4c07d6a.pngimage.png.580a3f02eaecc417f12e4b8e6605e92c.png

Pretty happy with how the scenes look so far! The one with the green sector has a blueish/purple vortex that is animated. :)

This is all for the project RELAX (a spiritual successor to Chillax)

5 minutes ago, Skrap Productions said:

image.png.219b4792eac283161ad18a3003dccec9.pngimage.png.509198f05ac322e03725b564a4c07d6a.pngimage.png.580a3f02eaecc417f12e4b8e6605e92c.png

Pretty happy with how the scenes look so far! The one with the green sector has a blueish/purple vortex that is animated. :)

This is all for the project RELAX (a spiritual successor to Chillax)

I wouldnt expect less from you 

Things are getting technically fancy with TMoD 4! (Episode 3)

Yeah! See-though portals that give a minor glimpse at the map you're about to enter! (Still WIP though since it takes up the whole linedef height, rather than the height of the portal frame...)

PORTAL1.png.9c7af972d13c5f458be08c14f3320dac.png

PORTAL2.png.32f5132cbd33691b1523177bee9d91f2.png

PORTAL3.png.f523b29c15b13baf0b35f72a38ccbf36.png

5ae9cd5e29802_2018-05-02(4).png.7a5cf1939ff33118ba8f3dfcee6e5f17.png 

This is supposed to be map 6. Still naked, but first I wanna ask before I put too much into it. Is it too big on the outside? I've trimmed it a lot today and in the past few days all I've done is like making it smaller. I'll post it as well.  

Map 6 - Still Unnamed.wad.zip

34 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

(PIC) 

This is supposed to be map 6. Still naked, but first I wanna ask before I put too much into it. Is it too big on the outside? I've trimmed it a lot today and in the past few days all I've done is like making it smaller. I'll post it as well.  

Reduce corridors-small and big ones. No need them too long, it bores to death, instead of corridors, try make some interesting rooms much as your experience let you do it. Also, never put your backups and dbs files in zip, which you want share, just only one wad. 

I know how to do it in the indoor area, just need lots of time. The map has a lot more work to be done and me being a beginner means that I still need help. The problem is the outdoor area. I might wanna change my whole idea about the red door/ yellow key area and try to make more buildings. At least I think the box maze needs no more work. Except enemies, but usually I prefer to put them on the map last. Once all the geometry and other fine work is done. Just some strategic enemies that I know I need them in the map (cyberdemons and spider masterminds for instance.) So I'd like to ask for some advice about the outdoor area, because even I find it heavy and tedious. But making it smaller may disturb the indoor part of the central building. 

The idea is that the player has to go around the whole building in order to exit the map after being trapped. Textures are out of the question, I don't even know what to do with them at times. 

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. Instead focus on just finishing it and moving on to the next one. In a year you'll look at that screenshot and cringe. It looks like 95% of the playable map space is made of flat corridors, and looking more closely at the bottom left of that screenie I can see the huge scale of the flat, one-sector corridors that make up the majority of the map, hence Haruko's comment.

Don't want to be mean dude but I went through the map in GZDooM with turbo set to 255... still took over 3 minutes to complete due to it's length :l

2 hours ago, spd7693 said:

5ae9cd5e29802_2018-05-02(4).png.7a5cf1939ff33118ba8f3dfcee6e5f17.png 

Cool map dude! I don't think the outside area is too big but I recommend that you have an alternate exit to outside at the end of the kitchen. The reason is, it's easy to get stuck in the doorway with all the demons charging in and you end up having the fight in the kitchen and it's very congested and easy to die there. Apart from that, i thought it was pretty good. I liked the computer monitor : )

2 hours ago, Fonze said:

Looking more closely at the bottom left of that screenie I can see the huge scale of the flat, one-sector corridors that make up the majority of the map, hence Haruko's comment.

This is actually a box maze. I may show it in 3D view as well and you'll see what it is. 

5aea09f5d3762_2018-05-02(5).png.1556f09efc6bce1fbcb5dc07b2f80382.png

I may show it in 3D view as well and you'll see what it is. And I'm aware of those corridors you're saying inside of the building. I asked about a completely different thing. 

3 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Don't want to be mean dude but I went through the map in GZDooM with turbo set to 255... still took over 3 minutes to complete due to it's length :l

That's what I'm talking about. I still have the feeling the outdoor part is too big and need to trim it, but then I don't want it to intersect what I'm making inside. So either I should make the stuff more interesting and add buildings or make it shorter...

You know what? More likely I should post a whole thread about my wad and ideas and discuss them freely with all of you guys. I hate talking s*** in someone else's threads. 

2 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

Cool map dude! I don't think the outside area is too big but I recommend that you have an alternate exit to outside at the end of the kitchen. The reason is, it's easy to get stuck in the doorway with all the demons charging in and you end up having the fight in the kitchen and it's very congested and easy to die there. Apart from that, i thought it was pretty good. I liked the computer monitor : )

First, you've quoted the wrong comment. As I read, you're talking about the first map which I wonder what else to edit into it. Second, there actually is a way to jump outside through the window. And the outside area there is just fine, I was talking about the map I just posted if the outside area was too big. 

1 hour ago, spd7693 said:

I asked about a completely different thing. 

You must have misunderstood what I was saying.

4 hours ago, Fonze said:

It looks like 95% of the playable map space is made of flat corridors

As in from the screenie, if I knew no better thats the shape I would describe it as, but feel free to post 3d-mode views of the outside corridors to prove me wrong. The word corridor might be throwing you off though; it refers to a shape and not a setting. You can have an outside corridor just like you can have one inside, just as you can have a narrow or a wide corridor. It's a shape (and one that doesn't fit too well to making stuff fun, typically).

1 hour ago, spd7693 said:

if the outside area was too big. 

I think this was answered quite handily by this comment:

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

A general rule-of-thumb is that if an area doesn't offer anything fun, then it either shouldn't exist or should be unscrupulously shortened to near-nonexistence. That outside area looks like 7 sectors stretched across 15,000 map units (as a reference for others, the outside area is about twice the east/west width of one of the rooms in the zoomed in shot, which itself is 14x64 wide. That sector then has to be at least 15,000 from North to South. So yeah, for a giant chunk of flat land I'd say 2,500x15,000 mu is a bit big.

Started making a map during my lunch-break at work. I'd like to make a (mega?)wad composed of many smaller maps. I'd show an in-game shot, but I only took this one before resuming my work day.

Sans titre.png

Well, here is how it looks now. Used every free second of mine to try and make it look neater. Of course, still not to the end. 

5aea31a41fef6_2018-05-03(6).png.2a285a9b2345d213e35973de79c9725a.png

I figured out that I can't shorten the top street anymore. At least I made an a lot shorter of a place where the red door/yellow key area should be placed. (That "wing" in the top.) After all, it would have meant the player had to travel to Timbuktu only to take a coconut! But if I move the left street more to the right, this will have to mean I'd have to make the box maze again. If I move the top street more to the bottom, it will intersect the starting area, where I'm thinking to put secrets as well. And yes, @Fonze, look here: 

5aea32b352154_2018-05-03(8).png.5be84ecd2177e84a714abbc4e758b09a.png5aea32b16cbbb_2018-05-03(7).png.bc1acd007330c91bc25cebc65289668f.png5aea32ade50fb_2018-05-03(9).png.d0c1ffdb155d08145bd130bc380d0a12.png

Need more proof that these corridors are actually corridors of the box maze? LOL 

Also - I made the tour for 2:52 without tools. 

Edited by spd7693 : I needed to expand it

13 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

Lost inspiration for the Doom project I was working on (for now) but gained some new inspiration. Working on a Hexen hub, with 4 maps planned (including the central hub). This is the swamp / ruined village-themed map.

Fingers crossed for the Hexen maps!

x0IjgMR.jpg

^ This is all I was talking about, which pertained to your first question:

7 hours ago, spd7693 said:

Is it too big on the outside?

My advice would be to just do something creative with the extra space and don't cop out making flat roads that take forever to run across. Or add teleports. But at this point you should prolly just make your own thread for further discussion on the intricacies of your wad.

If you want a idea from somebody for those roads, do little or big cracks in them. Maybe parts of the now destroyed road could be lower/higher than other parts. @spd7693

8 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

If you want a idea from somebody for those roads, do little or big cracks in them. Maybe parts of the now destroyed road could be lower/higher than other parts. @spd7693

Final spam in this thread, I promise: 

Thanks for reminding me, because these wide open streets are supposed to have cracks and poison pits. I just need to figure out what poison to use. Sometimes I do have to write down things in order not to forget them lol. 

I started on another project while the idea was fresh in my head

currently, the colorful lines are silent teleports to other areas but they may become portals if I can figure out how to work them

Screenshot_Doom_20180503_163827.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180503_163837.png

38 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

I started on another project while the idea was fresh in my head

currently, the colorful lines are silent teleports to other areas but they may become portals if I can figure out how to work them

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180503_163827.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180503_163837.png

What are those figures shrouded in darkness?