Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Currently working on a Metroidvania inspired type of level to sharpen myself up. My end goal is to make a unique game in Unity that's like a cross between Metroid Prime 2 and Doom, and I figured this would make for some good practice.

Spoiler

TiO2VTL.png

os5wyPP.png

MKO6ojn.png

IzlkA27.png

Edited by MetroidJunkie

5 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

0E0KDiM.png

If you make those sectors atop the rocket triangles and put a vertex slope thing in the center, you can raise it (the slope thing) about 64 units and make that rocket look much neater.

All those vertices at the top you could merge into one, take those two "wings" and disconnect them (put about a unit between them and the body to make it as unnoticeable as possible), then place object number 1504 (Vertex Slope Floor) at that central vertex. Set its Z-Height to about 64 units and all the triangle sectors will slope to that point. It'll look really neat and the bottom edges won't veer off like in that shot.

The sectors have to have only 3 vertices or they won't be affected, too, that's why I suggested disconnecting the wings by a single unit.

1504/1505 — Vertex height things

They can be used to define explicit heights at each vertex for triangular sectors. This is especially useful for terrain generation. The thing's z-position is used as the absolute height of each touching triangular sector at a vertex. These things have to be placed at the same position as the vertex they are supposed to affect. Please note that these things have no effect on sectors with more than 3 touching vertices. In UDMF maps, these things are redundant as vertices can have their floor height and ceiling height set directly in the editor.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Slope

Or you can do something like in this page:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_slopes

Ah, I didn't know what you meant by thing. I didn't know you literally meant Thing Mode. Yeah, I got it. I edited the image to reflect the change.

Honestly looks good, architecturally, but the texture repetition kills it completely for me. Custom textures of which are high resolution, 'megatextures' if you will, would really help this scene! :)

Keep it up though, macro-architecture and super oppressive designs are really impressive.

A screen I took few days ago , of my E2M7 map  on the same project of Spectre01. I didn't correct the lights on the ceiling yet but I will

doom221.png.5efcdcebf35a93aea169f081e786c2da.png

Sans_titre_58451.png

Edited by Roofi

Work on Sucker Punch has been a little slower than hoped, but I've got MAP07 completed and have made a start on MAP08. If anyone would like to play the original three maps they're available from my site here, and if anyone would like to playtest maps 4-6 don't hesitate to DM me.

SPMAP07.png.25f4ffefe49d695756b9bee6dc51d880.png

MAP07: "Compression" (working title)

11 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Honestly looks good, architecturally, but the texture repetition kills it completely for me. Custom textures of which are high resolution, 'megatextures' if you will, would really help this scene! :)

The E2 project and map is limited to the stock Doom 1 textures, so I'll have to make due with what I have. And Doom 1 gives very few options for texturing rocks and mountains. I'm always open to any suggestions if some other stock textures would work better! 

11 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Holy fuck that's huge

Yep, the tower is just over 8k units in height. I had to use the fly command at the edge of the map to get the full shot without freelook.

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

The E2 project and map is limited to the stock Doom 1 textures, so I'll have to make due with what I have. And Doom 1 gives very few options for texturing rocks and mountains. I'm always open to any suggestions if some other stock textures would work better! 

Yep, the tower is just over 8k units in height. I had to use the fly command at the edge of the map to get the full shot without freelook.

Big rocks and mountains are difficult even with custom textures.

Some ideas. I would try to keep the rocks as little as possible and let the skybox do the job. And/or just add many round sectors with maybe 2-4 different textures to break the patterns. Some "spikes" (smaller round sector which would be taller than others) with contrasting color. Then maybe make the further rocks's light level dimmer. Lavafalls would be nice but those aren't at your textureset if I remember correctly. Or if the mountains would be almost totally dark except the red texture. Then add light gradients around the red parts...

13 minutes ago, Jaska said:

Big rocks and mountains are difficult even with custom textures.

Some ideas. I would try to keep the rocks as little as possible and let the skybox do the job. And/or just add many round sectors with maybe 2-4 different textures to break the patterns. Some "spikes" (smaller round sector which would be taller than others) with contrasting color. Then maybe make the further rocks's light level dimmer. Lavafalls would be nice but those aren't at your textureset if I remember correctly. Or if the mountains would be almost totally dark except the red texture. Then add light gradients around the red parts...

When lava falls fail you, add blood falls.

image.png.209ec1a24c10660bdfe0cad949fad20b.png

I'm re-making an old unreleased Wolfenstein 3D themed Gamemaker Fps that i was making back in 2014/5 in Doom. "Wolfenstein 3D: Search for the Triad"

On 6/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, DMPhobos said:

Continuing with the Verse Hopper screenshots, here's the map i recently finished for the project

Pardon my curiosity, but is Darkmoon still a thing, or is it, kinda, on a backburner for now?

Working on some small layouts under 150~200 sectors. None of them are actually playable lol They also might never become an actual level too, since for now I've got no idea where I'm going except for creating plutonish layouts.

D3DRJvo.png

6g2Yklj.png

bBSGc16.png

BzsZ6du.png

hiqTOd8.png

2CHwori.png

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Pardon my curiosity, but is Darkmoon still a thing, or is it, kinda, on a backburner for now?

It is still a thing, but at the moment is on the backburner.... Uhh.... Bad answer.... Let me elaborate about what has happened with darkmoon

After the last public alpha was released, both zok and i started making both our respective maps, along the way GZDoom updated and added d64 sector light, we added the new feature to our maps, but it slowed us down. Then the worst thing happened, we both became stuck on our maps. I can't speak for what happened on zok's map, but mine was a nightmare to work on, it grew bigger and bigger and i didn't knew what to make of it, so eventually we both stopped. After that i stopped making playable maps for more or less a year, and by then darkmoon was more or less dead

But, this year there was a mapping contest for vinesauce that interested me enought to submit a map, and since i had such a blast making it i decided to finish the darkmoon map that i had abandoned, after a couple of weeks it was finally done, no problem. Some time later zok got in touch again and gave me some encouraging updates on his map... and that's were it is right now. Currently im not working the next darkmoon map because im busy building a map for NOVA III, and i don't want to get ahead of my mapping responsabilities. It's been some days since i got any update on @Z0k's map, he isn't active on the forums anymore, but im still in touch with him, so im gotta ask him about it soon. Obviously after that map is finished im gonna release another alpha with all the finished maps (along with the d64 sector lights on the previous maps)

Once the next alpha is released, im going to put all my efforts on Darkmoon, im supposed to build only one more map (maybe two) so that shouldn't be a problem, but it's possible for some changes about the project in order to get things going faster.... anyway, thanks for asking despite the long time (and believe me, it's been an even longer time for us to get it done) glad to hear some interesting about =)

Here are a couple more screens of the last map finished

Spoiler

Mf65VF9.png

1rFahWm.png

kmwQfOK.png

E068htv.png

I'm glad to hear that z0k is doing well and cool to hear about darkroom as well; I too was wondering what was going on with it :)

@DMPhobos  Thank you very much for the detailed and honest answer and best of luck with all the projects!