Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

56 minutes ago, Bauul said:

A couple of years ago I had an idea for a giant spiral staircase you could rotate to one of four positions, allowing the player to access different parts of a map.  Over the last few weeks I finally got around to implementing it.  

It turned out to be far more time consuming than I had anticipated, but I think the results are worth it.  Still need to add some sound and graphical effects, but I'm pretty stoked about how it's turned out so far.

Holy shit, how?!

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

A lot of GZDoom shenanigans!  The stairs themselves I build out of standard 3D Floors, plus some customized slanted versions of the fence textures for the guard rail.  I then converted the whole structure to an OBJ model, re-imported it into the game, and wrote a script using SetActorAngle to make it to rotate smoothly to the four cardinal directions.

The problem is that models have no collision in GZDoom - the player would just fall straight through it - so to provide collision I built a network of invisible 3D floors that rise and fall to match the height of each individual step in the staircase, plus another ring for the fences on the outside and another on the inside for the top barrier.  I made the stairway four-way symmetrical from a top-down view, so I could use the same system of 3D floors for every cardinal direction the stairs spin to: they would just need differing heights for each.  I built a series of Arrays in ACS that specified the specific height of each 3D floor in all four positions, and then for each individual step (there are 132 in total, plus another ~150 3D floors needed for the fence collision) a pair of Floor_MovetoValue and Ceiling_MoveToValue commands that referenced them.

If I was more organized, I could have added a sequentially assigned tag range to each 3D floor based on the "lowest" step in each position and a looping script to work through each in turn, but in the end I felt more confident just writing each step position manually.  It meant the eventual ACS script was around 3,500 manually written lines, but that way I could specifically check each and every step in all four positions to make sure it lined up perfectly to the model and adjust as needed.

Finally, for the torch flames and the associated dynamic lights, I used a looping per-tic Warp function to set them to a specific offset from the center of the stair model Thing, which is called once the switch is hit to move them neatly around with the stairs as it spins.

Overall, it does mean the player can't "ride" the stairs as it rotates (in the final level I'll block off access to it while it's spinning), but once it reaches the next cardinal position the underlying invisible 3D floors exactly match the structure of the model, so to all intents and purposes it's indistinguishable from real sectors.  

Damn, that's incredibly impressive, very well done! Must have taken a lot of time.

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

A lot of GZDoom shenanigans!  The stairs themselves I build out of standard 3D Floors, plus some customized slanted versions of the fence textures for the guard rail.  I then converted the whole structure to an OBJ model, re-imported it into the game, and wrote a script using SetActorAngle to make it to rotate smoothly to the four cardinal directions.

The problem is that models have no collision in GZDoom - the player would just fall straight through it - so to provide collision I built a network of invisible 3D floors that rise and fall to match the height of each individual step in the staircase, plus another ring for the fences on the outside and another on the inside for the top barrier.  I made the stairway four-way symmetrical from a top-down view, so I could use the same system of 3D floors for every cardinal direction the stairs spin to: they would just need differing heights for each.  I built a series of Arrays in ACS that specified the specific height of each 3D floor in all four positions, and then for each individual step (there are 132 in total, plus another ~150 3D floors needed for the fence collision) a pair of Floor_MovetoValue and Ceiling_MoveToValue commands that referenced them.

If I was more organized, I could have added a sequentially assigned tag range to each 3D floor based on the "lowest" step in each position and a looping script to work through each in turn, but in the end I felt more confident just writing each step position manually.  It meant the eventual ACS script was around 3,500 manually written lines, but that way I could specifically check each and every step in all four positions to make sure it lined up perfectly to the model and adjust as needed.

Finally, for the torch flames and the associated dynamic lights, I used a looping per-tic Warp function to set them to a specific offset from the center of the stair model Thing, which is called once the switch is hit to move them neatly around with the stairs as it spins.

Overall, it does mean the player can't "ride" the stairs as it rotates (in the final level I'll block off access to it while it's spinning), but once it reaches the next cardinal position the underlying invisible 3D floors exactly match the structure of the model, so to all intents and purposes it's indistinguishable from real sectors.  

Thanks for the explanation, that's insanely cool! Great work.

Adding E1M3 to my ep1 replacement. A sort of warehouse/docks thing. And a boat! A bit late but hey...

Move the crates...

m3_01.png?raw=true

Load the crates:

m3_02.png?raw=true

Sail away, sail away, sail away!

m3_03.png?raw=true

No monsters, no lighting, and lots to add still, as well as adding fiddly bits to the geometry, but getting there.

EDIT: ooh crap! just noticed the missing textures on the crates from the wheelhouse. Bugger.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:10 PM, Bauul said:

It turned out to be far more time consuming than I had anticipated, but I think the results are worth it.  Still need to add some sound and graphical effects, but I'm pretty stoked about how it's turned out so far.

That is superb. It looks like something from a modern Quake map. I love it.

Hi, people!

I am working now in Elder Dragon 2021 Wad. Last Week I streamed the start of Map 8. 
You can watch my streaming: twitch.tv/elderdragonbrasil (ENGLISH COMMENTARY)

I have a demo with 5 levels here in DoomWorld (soundtrack, new monsters, etc will only be added after the maps are done):

You can also watch my videos on Youtube: 

And finally, I will start to playtesting Doom/Doom II maps in my channel.

After some days with a power outage, I continue with my vanilla wad. Haven't run into any visplane overflows yet (Though I got close: 114/128, Yikes)infiltratornewroom.png.218ec8805cbd6c7a6758715ea82d1d19.png

On 1/11/2021 at 1:06 AM, Bauul said:

So, in other words, magic.

7 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

The space station level that I started like 7 years ago for my vanilla-sans-limits levelpack, now almost finished (the level, the levelpack has some work to go yet).  I'm very proud of the space disco.

I remember seeing shots of this map eons ago! I really love your style, this looks awesome. the scale and theme reminds me of a map I played by an old Doom Connector buddy named Since5, ahh. great shots :D

@Tango the funny/worst part is that these screenshots are probably not really any different than the ones I posted all those eons ago, lol. The giant Equinox-esque gateway thing has been moved to a different part of the map, granted, but the space disco is unchanged and most of the added parts of the map are not included in either of these shots (although you can see part of a large, multi-holed donut in the right of the second screenshot.)

It warms my heart that you did recognize it, though. :) I still have a couple sprites I need to do, and a few levels that are unfinished, but with any luck I can finally finish this wad in the next year between the other stuff I have to do.

Almost done. Need more balancing/testing and finally another map for Re-doom2 will be added to the list (super short list atm).

Spoiler

Undying2-FHD.jpg

Undying3-FHD.jpg

Undying4-FHD.jpg

Undying-FHD1.jpg

I'm currently working on a vanilla megawad called Limbo Low Now. Earlier maps (MAP01-11) were made during my first steps into mapping so expect some bugs, HOMs, and hiccups there.

Spoiler

DOOM00.png

DOOM01.png

DOOM02.png

DOOM03.png

DOOM05.png

1 hour ago, Cheesewheel said:

Working on a new map "Fuel dump", a real powder keg of a map!

Looks great! Fantastic combo of architecture, textures and last but not least a stunning sky that fits it so very well!

On 1/11/2021 at 2:06 AM, Bauul said:

A lot of GZDoom shenanigans! [snip]

sorcery!

After losing interest while working on my previous map, I started working on a new one on Boom. The screenshots are extremely WIP, but I feel they look good enough to share.

Screenshot_Doom_20210117_012339.png.1ce144148c37548f7eaa318363e53da0.png

Another angle with more lava falls.

Screenshot_Doom_20210117_012905.png.222f7454c932c7dc66f3dd62b247fbca.png

Let's hope I actually finish this map ._.

Edited by Valhen

A collaborative EDGE project being developed by Lobo and myself.

Still very early in development, and we are in dire need of additional mappers. You can find us on Discord or contact through PM.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:16 AM, StupidBunny said:

The space station level that I started like 7 years ago for my vanilla-sans-limits levelpack, now almost finished (the level, the levelpack has some work to go yet).  I'm very proud of the space disco.

Reveal hidden contents

DOOM0020.png.80572ca42e17a2164b2e9728023c4471.png

DOOM0023.png.832486293585a1d55ec9b6a29cd2d757.pngDOOM0009.png.f686818397e9998b07f2d6c427d97a35.pngDOOM0012.png.a421abab3783f949cde8b2de18356f15.pngDOOM0016.png.23675c652c3883c467b1ff41a626773f.png

I've also finished this Egyptian + Hell-themed level that I also started a similar time ago, although it needs more polish and as usual when I go to play it looking for screenshots I'm just like "Damn this map doesn't look nearly as good as I thought it did, shit" and come back empty-handed.  Oh well hopefully it'll be interesting to play anyway.  I might post some of that one when I think it's ready for it.

EDIT: Oh yeah and here's a mouth

DOOM0025.png.b73a4658455a038a41099ebc30ba88f7.png

can't stop looking at this mouth ♥♥♥

1 hour ago, Van Daemon said:

can't stop looking at this mouth ♥♥♥

I’m glad you like it, the problem I have now is that I spent a thousand hours on this mouth and now feel like I need the rest of the room look comparably as detailed.

@CeeJay hell yeah, always love to see Old West mods. This looks like a good one too.  I like that there’s actually some movement and exploring to do on the train cars, while still keeping everything pretty credibly realistic design-wise.

Edited by StupidBunny

44 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

@CeeJay hell yeah, always love to see Old West mods. This looks like a good one too.  I like that there’s actually some movement and exploring to do on the train cars, while still keeping everything pretty credibly realistic design-wise.

There's actually 3 maps done so far, but we went with showing the train one. I tried to keep the proportions realistic, instead of ridiculously wide like the one in Blood for example. Glad you liked it!