Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

not a very serious project, mainly I'm trying to familiarize myself with GZDoom features like portals and voxels and polyobjects and lights, and I'm learning all about their frustrating limitations...

2019-09-12-aleph1.png

2019-09-12-aleph2.png

2019-09-12-aleph3.png

2019-09-12-aleph4.png

On 9/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, meapineapple said:

2019-09-12-aleph1.png

Ends of the ground? Which ones?

Edited by Сhaingunner

38 minutes ago, Сhaingunner said:

Ends of the ground? Which ones?

... google translate led me to believe that this was an adequate translation of "ends of the earth"

2 hours ago, meapineapple said:

... google translate led me to believe that this was an adequate translation of "ends of the earth"

It translates to "край света (world)" or "край земли (earth)".

I've been working on a few new weapons along with map3 of HTC3. This might end up as a megawad, I'm not sure yet. The weapon in the screenshot fires an exploding soul energy ball that then sends flames everywhere.Screenshot_Doom_20190913_131359.png.9f68fd0c3fe710cd9bbb5abdc07552ec.png

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Two maps I'm working on:

A longer tech base with a lot of switches but not a huge ton of exploration

11-1.jpg.8b301300ea99a7a0583099b3bb8aa020.jpg

11-2.jpg.fec7f71ed0dc1819c2f1e0ae86bcec4f.jpg11-3.jpg.45da02c693cad0491b7848809efe97cd.jpg

11-4.jpg.0a82a36aed5a7fdd694644de678b29c7.jpg

And this very incomplete hellscape+tech-ish buildings map. Only the northeast areas are even remotely done, but the map is exitable.

26-1.jpg.73c5922a4a9444e8ae91f406587ee3a0.jpg26-2.jpg.c9cf30acde66c7aecba041b584db8b6e.jpg26-3.jpg.39355da15f47d87a0896dfb744ecb0a8.jpg

Pretty cool layout, i like it

On 9/12/2019 at 3:54 PM, meapineapple said:

not a very serious project, mainly I'm trying to familiarize myself with GZDoom features like portals and voxels and polyobjects and lights, and I'm learning all about their frustrating limitations...

2019-09-12-aleph1.png

2019-09-12-aleph2.png

2019-09-12-aleph3.png

2019-09-12-aleph4.png

I am Russian.  You wrote "ends of the earth," not "end of the earth."  And yes, what did you mean?  End of the world (Конец света)?

There are simply two concepts in Russian: the end of the earth (конец земли) and the end of the world (конец света)

On 9/12/2019 at 12:54 PM, meapineapple said:

2019-09-12-aleph1.png

Ahahahah. Never use google translate like that.

Example for clarity:

ends of the earth => концы земли => ends of earth => конец земли => end of earth => конец земли or край земли => land's end => конец Земли => end of Earth => конец земли
конец Земли = край света => world's end or edge of light
The World's End => Конец света => end of days, end of time or doomsday...

https://context.reverso.net/translation/english-russian/ends+of+the+earth

Edited by Doomenator

13 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Vanilla mapping is hard.

unknown.png

Yeah it's a challenge indeed.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:32 AM, Armolitskiy said:

I am Russian.  You wrote "ends of the earth," not "end of the earth."  And yes, what did you mean?  End of the world (Конец света)?

There are simply two concepts in Russian: the end of the earth (конец земли) and the end of the world (конец света)

My motivating idea for that little bit of map was a subterranean city in a future Earth whose surface became uninhabitable.

In English, "Ends of the Earth" is an idiom meaning the farthest and most remote places. To say that you would "go to the ends of the Earth" for someone or to accomplish something is a flavorful way of saying that you would do anything, you'd go any distance. The phrase has also been used as a pun. When developing his idea for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams originally conceived of an episodic radio show named "The Ends of the Earth" wherein the world would end in a new and different way in each episode. So the phrase at once means the remote geographic "ends" of the Earth, and the literal "ends" or demises of the Earth.

I wasn't expecting all of that nuance to translate effectively into a language that might or might not share the same idiom and pun, but I figured it would probably at least make some kind of sense. And this was really not any more than a learning experience in making a custom patch graphic and showing it in GZDoom via a resource PK3 and then making it appear luminous, so it didn't seem important to go consult a native speaker beforehand...

Something I've wanted to do for a while - making 1024-style maps, but in Eternity, and making the restriction 1024 in all three dimensions rather than just two. Could call it 'Cubic1024' or something similar.

Also, making use of OTEX.

Spoiler

CJ32U2r.png

1worV9J.jpg

(from same map)

Just now, NokturnuS said:

[images]

Those screenshots look really awesome, but a spoiler tag would probably be appreciated for a post that long!

25 minutes ago, stewboy said:

Those screenshots look really awesome, but a spoiler tag would probably be appreciated for a post that long!

Done ! :)

5 hours ago, meapineapple said:

My motivating idea for that little bit of map was a subterranean city in a future Earth whose surface became uninhabitable.

In English, "Ends of the Earth" is an idiom meaning the farthest and most remote places. To say that you would "go to the ends of the Earth" for someone or to accomplish something is a flavorful way of saying that you would do anything, you'd go any distance. The phrase has also been used as a pun. When developing his idea for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams originally conceived of an episodic radio show named "The Ends of the Earth" wherein the world would end in a new and different way in each episode. So the phrase at once means the remote geographic "ends" of the Earth, and the literal "ends" or demises of the Earth.

I wasn't expecting all of that nuance to translate effectively into a language that might or might not share the same idiom and pun, but I figured it would probably at least make some kind of sense. And this was really not any more than a learning experience in making a custom patch graphic and showing it in GZDoom via a resource PK3 and then making it appear luminous, so it didn't seem important to go consult a native speaker beforehand...

however, "ends of the earth" (концы земли) sounds terrible for Russian-speaking people

On 9/13/2019 at 8:56 AM, HAK3180 said:

11-3.jpg.45da02c693cad0491b7848809efe97cd.jpg

Is the impression of 'discordant hodgepodge' intended? The design choices here seems very abstractly random. That certainly can be done charmingly, but here there is a distinct feel of 'museum of detailing implements thrown into a single scene'. 

58 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Is the impression of 'discordant hodgepodge' intended? The design choices here seems very abstractly random. That certainly can be done charmingly, but here there is a distinct feel of 'museum of detailing implements thrown into a single scene'.

Thanks for your thoughts. No, that is not a specific intended impression. This room is probably a bit bigger than it appears; I actually tend to think of it as underdetailed, but I can see where you're coming from. The marble was a late addition that I questioned in the process. The white is just something I tend to deus ex machina in because white's cool. I also think the modwall looks weirder in this shot than it actually is. I don't have much problem being a little unconventional, but I'm certainly also willing to hear ideas. In general I think I do (over)compensate for a fear of bland-appearing maps.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:56 AM, HAK3180 said:

11-3.jpg.45da02c693cad0491b7848809efe97cd.jpg

I really don't like tearing into this, but this has nothing to do with detailing, or interesting architecture. It's a box loaded with clashing texture choices that lacks a sense of place. And I would say the same if the marble and the modwall wasn't there. Also what's up with the lighting there? It looks as if it's the same gradient everywhere, give or take 16 brightness.

You can't compensate for featureless architecture by way of micro-detailing. It doesn't matter how many times you split your linedefs, the room will still look empty and featureless.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

30 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I actually tend to think of it as underdetailed

Alarm bells should probably go off at this point because the 'measurable count' (linedefs, sectors -- both excluding 'inflatory' stuff like gradients -- different types of textures and flats, etc.) of that room is reasonably high compared to similarly sized rooms in most maps. So if it still looks underdetailed, that points at a lack of efficiency. What I see is a lot of 'place detail here -> place detail there' hoping to accrue a finished room, without much of a plan behind it.

You can get a lot of mileage out of a limited amount of 'measurable count' by attending to the composition of a scene as a whole: color, shading, lighting, and shaping (shaping != the overhead/automap, but rather 3D shape as a whole). Here are some shots of speedmaps (!) from frog_and_toad.wad that exemplify that. 

Spoiler

4ycznew.png

YESxuWw.png

17oOJbB.png

GLoTXt4.png

There are many ways to handle that. I mentioned 50 Monsters partly in response to another screenshot of yours I saw (and commented on) in another thread. Of course, that isn't the style everyone needs to work in, but understanding the underlying principles of visual composition is important regardless. Attractive high-detail stuff tends to manage the larger-scale elements of scenes just as well.

6 hours ago, ukiro said:

@stewboy it looks like there's a vertical tiling issue in the hexagonal pattern on the right here, which isn't in the texture. Any idea how that happened? Are you on latest OTEX?

Since @stewboy is mapping for Eternity he must be using portals, judging from the screenshots. With the middle and top layer probably being 192 units high. So what you're seeing is pretty normal and can be fixed by vertically aligning the textures in each layer. Nothing wrong with OTEX.

@rdwpa and @Nine Inch Heels, thanks for your (further) thoughts. So much commentary on one shot! I did check out 50 Monsters before, although this area was probably complete by then and has hardly changed. To answer your question, there's not much going on with the lighting, but there are a few blinks/flickers that a static shot obviously doesn't show.

22 hours ago, ukiro said:

@stewboy it looks like there's a vertical tiling issue in the hexagonal pattern on the right here, which isn't in the texture. Any idea how that happened? Are you on latest OTEX?

Basically, I had a few 64-high portals stacked on top of each other, and I was too lazy to vertically align the textures, thinking nobody would notice. Clearly someone has noticed, so I'll fix that haha