Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Recommended Posts

Think I finished my cover maybe... Might add more later.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

welp I'm noob of wading. I'll use S.. what .. ah, SCR... nope, that... ahh

oh, SLADE. pww.....

 

I'll just work harder than I thought at first...

Share this post


Link to post

Though I cannot upload screenshots currently, I will say that the wad I am working on has two new weapons, and many new monsters!

Share this post


Link to post

Map 03 of my wad. I'm going over whats the best course of action to for it. Either go by what I did on my sketeches or just simply play more wads.Screenshot_Doom_20191121_012728.png.fcf67569d036f704ae54d018fe6d64a0.png

Spoiler

would appreciate if someone could be brutally honest on this one. In case I'm going down the looks good but plays like shiet route.

 

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, CrocketRocket said:

would appreciate if someone could be brutally honest on this one.

 

 

On first glance as a concept it looks good. Using symmetrical areas is something players usually don't like, but this is a small hallway so it's fine here. The detailing is above average and breaks it up a little with the computer panel on the left being taller, varying detail heights is a good way to mix it up. The metal support trims and indented channels in the floor on either side fit well and look alright.

 

My favorite part of the shot is how the dark metal pillars in the back corners overlap with the brown wall behind them, it looks like actual structure as if the place was really made by someone. The curving arch support on the ceiling is a nice detail too which helps to focus eventually on the door at the end of the hallway.

 

The one thing in this screenshot I would personally change is the way the 3 sectors along the middle are lit. The ceiling texture around the grates is lit up and pulls away from a potentially stronger focus in the shot, imho. If the sectors were reworked or the grates pulled up into the ceiling maybe, and focusing the light only on the ground, I think it would look more realistic and help the composition. I know it's a limitation of how sectors are lit up in the Doom engine, so it's up to you. Another option is UDMF which supports the shading of each surface individually.

 

I would encourage you to experiment with lighting, and keep up the style of detail and border texturing. It can be helpful to establish a theme early on and then add variations on that theme as you progress along to other parts of the level. Set up a consistent style like in this shot, but mix it up, or the player will expect everything before it happens. A theme is a good thing most of the time, but you don't want every part of your map to look the same or navigation will be frustrating. People build things with symmetry in real life and in-game, so once in awhile it's fine - like in a cathedral or something like that. Breaking up symmetry in larger areas can also be a way to add more interesting gameplay and progression in many cases.

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, reflex17 said:

 

 

On first glance as a concept it looks good. Using symmetrical areas is something players usually don't like, but this is a small hallway so it's fine here. The detailing is above average and breaks it up a little with the computer panel on the left being taller, varying detail heights is a good way to mix it up. The metal support trims and indented channels in the floor on either side fit well and look alright.

 

My favorite part of the shot is how the dark metal pillars in the back corners overlap with the brown wall behind them, it looks like actual structure as if the place was really made by someone. The curving arch support on the ceiling is a nice detail too which helps to focus eventually on the door at the end of the hallway.

 

The one thing in this screenshot I would personally change is the way the 3 sectors along the middle are lit. The ceiling texture around the grates is lit up and pulls away from a potentially stronger focus in the shot, imho. If the sectors were reworked or the grates pulled up into the ceiling maybe, and focusing the light only on the ground, I think it would look more realistic and help the composition. I know it's a limitation of how sectors are lit up in the Doom engine, so it's up to you. Another option is UDMF which supports the shading of each surface individually.

 

I would encourage you to experiment with lighting, and keep up the style of detail and border texturing. It can be helpful to establish a theme early on and then add variations on that theme as you progress along to other parts of the level. Set up a consistent style like in this shot, but mix it up, or the player will expect everything before it happens. A theme is a good thing most of the time, but you don't want every part of your map to look the same or navigation will be frustrating. People build things with symmetry in real life and in-game, so once in awhile it's fine - like in a cathedral or something like that. Breaking up symmetry in larger areas can also be a way to add more interesting gameplay and progression in many cases.

Hey thanks man. I'll get it fixed up once I wake up

Share this post


Link to post

This map.... I don't even know what am I building anymore. It's becoming too alien from what I had in mind.

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191119_210205.png.e871d518631a2dee6289ad5d12466ae1.png

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191120_131946.png.57b16a527ed846bf76c5d1747d077ce8.png

 

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191120_154511.png.c565299c1d735cf95e4373f4f7f6c057.png

 

Even though I'm using the "Not shown on map" feature.... This already looks like a giant mess and it's nowhere near done.

 

Screenshot_1.png.27ebfb5f211eeeee26889b606bab99ca.png

Share this post


Link to post

DOOOOOOOOOOOD.png.946062de96bcb29350f4e3dc5433c530.png

 

WOOOOOOOOO!!!! CUSTOM ANIMATED FLAT TEXTURE! Okay to be fair I have NO idea how to implement the full animation I wanted to use but the fact that simply naming 4 flats the exact same as the flats used in vanilla seems to work is good enough for me! <3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I have NO idea how to implement the full animation I wanted to use

If you have a full texture cycle, it's easy enough. Use ANIMDEFS. 
 

Spoiler

 

TEXTURE FWATER1
 pic FW001 tics 1
 pic FW002 tics 1
 pic FW003 tics 1
 pic FW004 tics 1
 pic FW005 tics 1
 pic FW006 tics 1
 pic FW007 tics 1
 pic FW008 tics 1
 pic FW009 tics 1
 pic FW010 tics 1

 

TEXTURE FWATER2
 pic FW001 tics 1
 pic FW002 tics 1
 pic FW003 tics 1
 pic FW004 tics 1
 pic FW005 tics 1
 pic FW006 tics 1
 pic FW007 tics 1
 pic FW008 tics 1
 pic FW009 tics 1
 pic FW010 tics 1

 

TEXTURE FWATER3
 pic FW001 tics 1
 pic FW002 tics 1
 pic FW003 tics 1
 pic FW004 tics 1
 pic FW005 tics 1
 pic FW006 tics 1
 pic FW007 tics 1
 pic FW008 tics 1
 pic FW009 tics 1
 pic FW010 tics 1

 

TEXTURE FWATER4
 pic FW001 tics 1
 pic FW002 tics 1
 pic FW003 tics 1
 pic FW004 tics 1
 pic FW005 tics 1
 pic FW006 tics 1
 pic FW007 tics 1
 pic FW008 tics 1
 pic FW009 tics 1
 pic FW010 tics 1

 

 

However there are options with shaders or zscript. 

Share this post


Link to post

I worked on this "vanilla" map for two weeks or more. It's big and I tried adding as much detail as I could possibly put, but it's nothing that special. There are some Oblige textures (just the lavafall and the waterfall) and stuff. This map hates being played in software mode though.

I don't play on high resolutions, hence why the image looks like that.
Screenshot_Doom_20191114_132741.png.a335806d81ac50b1c612c72f2afecb23.png


188147811_ValedoDesespero.wad_MAP01.png.e9f8025644afba31379ecda58131bab0.png

Also there is this video (and more info about the map in the description of it) with a 100% playthrough I did of this map cuz why not? 
 

Spoiler



 


There are two oblige maps I did before this one though. I say I did because I modified them enough to improve gameplay, monster variety and added other stuff. It was a good way to experiment with Doom Builder. I won't be posting them here because I'm not interested in getting crucified by fellow doom mappers for using >oblige. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post

@octillion: I really like the alien look you have accomplished :)

Share this post


Link to post

simple.wad in the making

 

 

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191122_213634.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191122_213611.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191122_213235.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191122_213146.png

Edited by CBM

Share this post


Link to post

Just having fun with Doombuilder... this might make it in to a doom episode at some point

 

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191123_193055.png

Share this post


Link to post

update, made a nice little temple in the sky

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_080218.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_080152.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_084457.png

Edited by CBM

Share this post


Link to post

did a little work on simple.wad

 

changed textures and working with better lighting

 

 

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_113143.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191124_113136.png

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kuleshoff said:

In the rare moments of rest, I continue to do the map. Of course, this is not the end result. Most likely, everything will be redone :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Gives me some No Rest for the Living vibes!

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Gives me some No Rest for the Living vibes!

What are you talking about?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×