Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Nice, Szuran. That looks pretty unique, are you doing all the textures and sprites yourself?

46 minutes ago, Szuran said:

So I had this crazy idea: a game that takes place inside a madman's diary. Inspired by Lovecraft. With heavy adventure elements. With every texture, sprite and letter sketched on a post-it note and scanned.

Screenshot-Doom-20200705-194010.png

Love it.

2 hours ago, elend said:

Nice, Szuran. That looks pretty unique, are you doing all the textures and sprites yourself?

Yes, the idea is to do EVERYTHING by myself. I'll worry about the music when I get there.:)

2 hours ago, Szuran said:

So I had this crazy idea: a game that takes place inside a madman's diary. Inspired by Lovecraft. With heavy adventure elements. With every texture, sprite and letter sketched on a post-it note and scanned.

Screenshot-Doom-20200705-194010.png

That's gorgeous! Really striking aesthetic.

Plus, you have some mad drawing skillz.

3 hours ago, LordEntr0py said:

That's gorgeous! Really striking aesthetic.

Plus, you have some mad drawing skillz.

Thank you! I always _kinda_ knew how to draw but never knew how to use it.

11 hours ago, uber said:

room.gif.7173f378fb2d2899d3d4e03a1a140841.gif

it's quite banal, but i really like how you utilized the scrolling effect on the white lights. really inspires me to put this in one of my maps at some day. it's maybe a bit far fetched but this remembers me of some quake 3 textures. but in q3 of course, you'd animate textures through shaders. this effect would be nice to emulate something similar though. probably even something vanilla compatible. 

I have decided to try my hand at Doom modding. First room. I know a lot of first-timer maps are plain and undetailed with flat architecture and little variance on the ceilings and the floors, so I'm in the process of sprucing it up to not make it so plain. Slowly it's dawning on me how complicated and time-consuming good architecture is.

Builder_2020-07-07_16-11-23.png.f7e753ca6d9c45e66b95563278c0a65e.png

16 minutes ago, Vadara said:

Slowly it's dawning on me how complicated and time-consuming good architecture is

Indeed. It's tempting to whack out something quick, but it's more satisfying to take your time.  I found the most important thing was to get used to the editor (Eureka for me, as UDB id not available for Ubuntu). The above is nice though.

55 minutes ago, Vadara said:

I have decided to try my hand at Doom modding. First room. I know a lot of first-timer maps are plain and undetailed with flat architecture and little variance on the ceilings and the floors, so I'm in the process of sprucing it up to not make it so plain. Slowly it's dawning on me how complicated and time-consuming good architecture is.

A thousand times better than my first attempts were.

Yeah. Tricky part is making things look believably like solid objects. But the payoff is huge. The better you did, the less the player notices. 

Romero's rules of level design were a huge help to me in getting my head around things.

Same video series explores Sandy Petersen's levels, too. They might not teach us as much about aesthetics and architecture, but they are full of creative ideas.

@Smouths I've gotta ask, what are those weapons you are using?! They look so... rusty and different. Also; Great screenshots!

4 hours ago, elend said:

@Smouths I've gotta ask, what are those weapons you are using?! They look so... rusty and different. Also; Great screenshots!

Thanks!

They're just a couple of edits I made around a decade ago, then left sitting on a harddrive. I think I did the SSG after seeing the PSX Final Doom ssg sprites back when the TC for GZDoom was newish (probably saw the discussions about it on here or ZDoom forums,) don't really remember much about the chaingun- always thought the original looked a little too pristine/bright though, lol.

Edited by Smouths

I'll probably put them in the "Post your sprites!" thread once they're cleaned up a bit.

8 hours ago, Tango said:

@KevvyLava those look fantastic, I love seeing reimagined maps!

Thanks Tango.  In a few cases, I totally overhauled whole areas and manually realigned textures.  On Toxin Refinery, it was extremely painstaking for the old Yellow Keycard room because it's on an angle, but the results speak for themselves.  And on Mount Erebus, I took inspiration from Super Smash Bros. Mêlée's "Brinstar" stage, where there map is played normally and then it becomes flooded with lava and temporarily becomes a different stage.  Some of the map design required an entire overhaul just to get it condensed enough for deathmatch.  Have a look at it.

Just released this and started uploading a walkthrough for the downtrodden.

This isn't a full playthrough of the level, rather it's a short update where I show off an overhauled area and then ramble on about the state of and the future of the wad. If you haven't already, please check the map out please! I'm dying for attentio... I mean... playthroughs and feedback!

Link here:

Spoiler

On 7/7/2020 at 12:10 AM, Szuran said:

Hit me up when you want playtesters. I'd love to try this out.

The Glacier has one of the coolest environments in Arkista's Ring.

Edited by Impie

As a joke / gift to a friend and to teach myself how to make doom maps I started working on a little map with the working title of "clowns.wad"

It it takes place at a circus that's been overrun by demons and is going to end with a big fight in the middle of the big top. It's still a ways away from being finished but I think it'll be a good map one it's done.

bf6d66b5903c6a94af399c4064ab53a1.png.96d078e5d32b3205da0458a07a9cd8e6.png 

the map itself so far

Screenshot_Doom_20200710_203038.png.1753c57e9fb973c9b33cf9efec7ade8d.png 

demons at the concessions stand

6e026274bbaa71b4117940746d0607cc.png.35f240986bd947bf66460bd2b7e90ba1.png

him...