Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Li'l devil

A question about gibs

fraggle said:

They're pronounced the opposite to how "GIF" is pronounced.

Is there any reason why "GIF" if pronounced "JIF", what was the reasoning behind that

thedeadgmr said:

Is there any reason why "GIF" if pronounced "JIF", what was the reasoning behind that

I hear stories about how the guy who invented them pronounced them "jif", but all that does is make me think of a particular brand of bathroom cleaner.

Obsidian said:

I hear stories about how the guy who invented them pronounced them "jif", but all that does is make me think of a particular brand of bathroom cleaner.

I googled it, apparently the Oxford Dictionary accpets both

Huh, I was wondering about that but was too lazy to look it up. I figured if anybody made that big of a deal about it they probably didnt have anything interesting to say in the first place. I think I'll stick to using the g sound though because Jiff is for choosy moms. Not my mom though, she buys the cheap shit. I did that once, not bad but it went all shitty after a couple weeks. I did finally make my first animated GIF though. Turned out okay, I think I can do better.

Also, I've missed gibs. Seems like once ragdoll physicals became commonplace 10+ years ago gibs were mostly abandoned. Which is a shame because while ragdolls can be entertaining and humorous, nothing beats the shower of gibs that is spamming the rocket launcher in Quake. Plus 90% of Gary's Mod videos are shitty ragdoll dances which were funny never maybe once or twice.

Obsidian said:

This is made hilarious by the fact that it's peanut butter back in the US!

"I use jif for my toilet" becomes a much funnier sentence.

thedeadgmr said:

It depends on your home language and how you heard similar words.

I thought gib is read like the gib in Mel Gibson…

Jaxxoon R said:

It's short for giblet. Pronounced with a soft g, like giraffe.

Finally i know what does it mean, been saying it for a while without even knowing what's the exact meaning of it :P

antares031 said:

Speaking of pronunciation, I still can't get over my bad habit to call arch-vile "Arc-vile".

Thah... I call that guy as "Arr-chi-vi-le". Same stuff for 'Scythe' because i got used to say: "S-ki-tt-che". Don't know why.
Not perfect in English but I'm sure that 'G' and 'J' has same origin.

thedeadgmr said:

The compression allowed images to be downloaded in a jiffy is the reasoning.

Gez said:

The compression allowed images to be downloaded in a jiffy is the reasoning.

I forgot there was a time when GIFs were nice and small images, now they're mostly 10mb+ animated videos that take a minute to load

Ichor said:

"Your clothes...gib dem to me."

I keep thinking 'gib' (as in 'give') as from Polandball comics..

I always thought it was pronounced gib until I saw ign's "We play Doom with John Romero" where Mr. Romero said it was pronounced Jib, "it's jib like giblet, not gib like goblet" (sorry I can't link the video, posting this on my phone)

antares031 said:

It's a short version of "Giblets", so you need to pronounce it gibs. (G from Gyroscope) Even John Romero mentioned about it during the interview with IGN.

Sadly, the American cooking videos on YouTube can't even agree on how to pronounce "giblets." They did make me hungry, however.

Johnatone said:

Also, I've missed gibs. Seems like once ragdoll physicals became commonplace 10+ years ago gibs were mostly abandoned. Which is a shame because while ragdolls can be entertaining and humorous, nothing beats the shower of gibs that is spamming the rocket launcher in Quake.

Turning off the gravity before usinga rocket launcher in Quake is fun. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection...

Fallout 4 has plenty of gibs. Useful for looting corpses of guys perched on top of inaccessible buildings.