Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Doom 3 article on Megagames

Jim Dose said
so we grant an option to finish game in a shooting-spree style. Well, those who want to know the truth, will find it out.

that's news to me! i have never read anything about a visit back to the original doom gameplay. maybe it's a secret level?

Here's a quote from the interview:

sometimes they'll attack in tens, sometimes they poke around alone

I'm not from a country where English is the first language, so can someone explain what 'tens' means?
Does that mean -> monsters attacking with 10 at the same time.
Or does that mean -> Several 'tens' at the same time? (20, 30, 40, etc.)

I'd say it means 10, 20, 30 etc....
But I don't think that is possible. The engine IS amazing but there are obvious limitations. I would have to say that the statement is slightly exaggerated.

I apologise people....
I should have read the article first....

Quote:
"
id get very defensive when queried about the enemies in Doom III. This is DOOM! We are not going to mimic Serious Sam where the player is exposed to relentless attacks by hordes of identical enemies. The Monsters are more than adequate, sometimes they'll attack in tens, sometimes they poke around alone. We want the player to be unaware of what is behind the next door. DOOM III is all about pressure and terror. but how can we have hordes of such highly detailed monsters on screen? The trick is in the extensive use of bump-mapping, says Jim Dose. The characters are not REALLY high-polygonal, but the bump-mapping provides the proper picture. This is how we intend to cram tens of monsters onscreen without damaging performance.
"

WOW this is great news!!!! Huh?
I wasn't expecting this.

uh, we already knew that, and somehow I doubt we'll see 20 monsters at a time, or atleast from all the other articles I've read there won't be more than that on screen at the same time.

hmm, multiple endings, I think that's a good idea, and it would kick ass if ID made the slaughterfest one a bit more secret in some way only us old schoolers could know how to get into. A little reward for sticking around for almost 9 years now.

orion said:

hmm, multiple endings, I think that's a good idea, and it would kick ass if ID made the slaughterfest one a bit more secret in some way only us old schoolers could know how to get into. A little reward for sticking around for almost 9 years now.

..And then your computers crashes because it can't handle all the hundreds of Demons crammed into one level.

well, it isn't confirmed there will be multiple endings. from what Jim Dose said, he could mean a secret level that has the old 2d sprites that you need to kill in an icon of sin-like level...

gatewatcher said:

well, it isn't confirmed there will be multiple endings. from what Jim Dose said, he could mean a secret level that has the old 2d sprites that you need to kill in an icon of sin-like level...

They better not include any sprites of monsters even if it is a joke, the idea just makes me want to cry.