Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArchangelOfHell

Will Phobos return?

Recommended Posts


Who else thinks it would be badass to see Phobos make a return? I've heard a few rumors that it was mentioned in development but that's as far as I know.
Imagine teleporting there for some reason, for example to find some lost artifact/Item for hell, and then realizing your walking through the original E1M1 =D
Even if its the only stage, I think the nostalgia would be amazing.
We all know in the story, the invasion originates from Phobos, then finds its way across Deimos and finally Mars is overrun. It would really pay homage to show it briefly IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post

From what they've talked about the story so far, it looks like it takes place on Mars and then Hell. No talk of either moon so far.

Share this post


Link to post

Phobos and Deimos are not geologically interesting enough to serve as level settings. Hell, the gravity alone would make bases exceedingly difficult to construct.

Share this post


Link to post

Enforcer care to explain more?? The icy parts of Mars?

Goatloard, you do realize that the year is roughly 2125 or so. Setting up bases on moons and asteroids should not be considered unrealistic by that time. Not that you said that but I'm guessing you don't think its a realistic idea?

Infact in real life many people believe setting up a base on Phobos before going to Mars is actually a better idea. See this thread for example it contains a ton of useful information http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?119385-Phobos-base-or-Mars-direct
Even Buzz Aldrin, one of the first astronauts to walk on the moon is also a believer of going to Phobos first before Mars. There is tons of evidence for this I will give you the chance to read for yourself.

The real Anomaly on Phobos has interested NASA for some time, a stange monolith that appears on Phobos and Mars.
Mars Anomaly-

Phobos Anomaly-

Yes these are real, and have dumbfounded scientists for years as for there explanation.

I think the original DooM has used this Idea to form there explanation of a possible gateway between the two, and how they discovered teleportation. But that's another story.
The level design will likely be interior only anyway with maybe a glimpse of the actual surface from one of the windows.

Back to the main point, its all about the classic feeling of being on Phobos again for DooM. Walking though the lifeless hallways of a new reenvisioned ghostly E1M1 would be amazing. Even if you were just there to collect something and leave it would bring back great memories.

Share this post


Link to post

I would like to. But Admins are pretty edgy right now. But yeah. .New stuff and info is still pouring out of alpha.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah "admins are pretty edgy" but I'm gonna keep posting oblique references to the leaks just to see how far I can push it. Good call there dude. Keep it up and see how far it gets you.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

Phobos and Deimos are not geologically interesting enough to serve as level settings. Hell, the gravity alone would make bases exceedingly difficult to construct.


In the campaign map that I am making with GZDoom Builder; I just tell the audience that Phobos is a "test" site for a large scale artificial gravity project. They even build bio-domes to test the effects of gravity and life. It is bullshit but so are demons. Psuedo Sci-fiction at it's finest!

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

Yeah "admins are pretty edgy" but I'm gonna keep posting oblique references to the leaks just to see how far I can push it. Good call there dude. Keep it up and see how far it gets you.


I'm shaking :D Please forgive me! I didn't post any links BTW. Didn't say the name of the site. Nothing. But OK. Let's keep talking about Cyberdemon's horns then. Then again it was kinda spoilerish. .My bad

Share this post


Link to post

what is the point of being so uptight about doom discussion? is bethesda going to shut down the oldest doom website on the net for being overly excited about their product? derp.

Share this post


Link to post

We received requests to remove certain leaked content. They even asked nicely.

Discussion about the game is fine, discussion or linking of leaked content not intended for release is not okay.

Share this post


Link to post
ArchangelOfHell said:

Goatloard, you do realize that the year is roughly 2125 or so. Setting up bases on moons and asteroids should not be considered unrealistic by that time. Not that you said that but I'm guessing you don't think its a realistic idea?


The literal Phobos anomaly is really interesting, thanks for sharing! Anyway, I guess being the tech-y fool that I am, I might have jumped the gun by assuming building a base on a Martian moon was impractical. Now, for the record, those moons are so freaking tiny that the gravity they generate is not sufficient to mold them into proper spheres (apparently object must be about 500km across for that to work), so it's really difficult to imagine being able to traverse the surface, and obviously you would need to do that in order to build bases.

Now, in "Event Horizon," Fishbourne and his crew have these magnetic boots that seem to account for low gravity situations, so that might work, but it's hard not to imagine having to go to great lengths to keep shit from flying away. In a lot of sci-fi movies, there's this convenient technology that the plot never goes into, which basically amounts to "artificial gravity." I'm not sure how much sense that concept makes. If we're talking about 22nd century technology, I suppose we would have such tech by then, but it's hard to imagine what artificial gravity would even be, since gravity is a side effect of having mass, and it seems to me that any structure containing artificial gravity would have to have some incredibly massive object (or series of objects) permeating the entire work/living space. I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

We received requests to remove certain leaked content. They even asked nicely.

Discussion about the game is fine, discussion or linking of leaked content not intended for release is not okay.


well i guess if people agreed to abide by the nda, then they are bound to that. but once the cats out of the bag on something like certain locations or enemies and becomes public knowledge, it seems silly that we cant discuss it.

meh. im just old i guess, qtest used to just be for everyone and there was no secrets. maybe there is something i dont understand about the whole situation. and may will be here soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

Keep it up and see how far it gets you.


If I'm to be really honest I find that this NDA shit to be pretty stupid and counter productive towards making people want their product more. To the point I'm wondering if the real reason it was put in place at all is because the game is going to turn out to be a completely unpolished turd with a cliffhanger ending and a real ending you have purchase in the form of a pay DLC episode, and they don't want to admit that or have people digging through alpha files and finding that out some how. This exact same of situation happened to Fallout (people digging through beta/alpha files and finding shit and posting about it) once and Bethesda embraced the it and they made it a profitable marketing strategy by confirming the hype. Id-thesda feat. Marty is shitcanning all discussion as part of seemingly damage control and I don't like that people here are actually OKAY with this.

This is a video game pretty much just a couple months from release. It's about ready to just be sitting in a warehouse or online distro waiting to be sold and we have only vague trailers and useless online articles to show for it. We get barely any official news outside of "muh snapmap" and "muh multiplayer"...sorry but that's not making me feel all that comfortable especially when they could just come out and say "YEAH ALL THIS COOL SHIT PEOPLE WERE FINDING AND THEN TALKING ABOUT IS COMING, BUT YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE WHAT ELSE WE GOT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN YET! :D" The fact they've actually threatened take downs and even those they've done it nicely I just feel that this is some kinda preemptive damage control.

I could be wrong, and if so I willing admit that I was but like I said, I can't help but get a weird feeling about this especially when you consider that they should've known this was GOING to happen eventually. Happened with D3, surely ID wasn't so naive they didn't think it would happen with D4? Come on.

Share this post


Link to post
ArchangelOfHell said:

Enforcer care to explain more?? The icy parts of Mars?

Goatloard, you do realize that the year is roughly 2125 or so. Setting up bases on moons and asteroids should not be considered unrealistic by that time. Not that you said that but I'm guessing you don't think its a realistic idea?

Infact in real life many people believe setting up a base on Phobos before going to Mars is actually a better idea. See this thread for example it contains a ton of useful information http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?119385-Phobos-base-or-Mars-direct
Even Buzz Aldrin, one of the first astronauts to walk on the moon is also a believer of going to Phobos first before Mars. There is tons of evidence for this I will give you the chance to read for yourself.

The real Anomaly on Phobos has interested NASA for some time, a stange monolith that appears on Phobos and Mars.
Mars Anomaly-
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/04/article-1204254-05F3905A000005DC-334_634x262.jpg
Phobos Anomaly-
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/04/article-1204254-05F2E104000005DC-903_634x264.jpg
Yes these are real, and have dumbfounded scientists for years as for there explanation.

I think the original DooM has used this Idea to form there explanation of a possible gateway between the two, and how they discovered teleportation. But that's another story.
The level design will likely be interior only anyway with maybe a glimpse of the actual surface from one of the windows.

Back to the main point, its all about the classic feeling of being on Phobos again for DooM. Walking though the lifeless hallways of a new reenvisioned ghostly E1M1 would be amazing. Even if you were just there to collect something and leave it would bring back great memories.


Who knows, the square penagram at the end of the level might be just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Enforcer said:

I would like to. But Admins are pretty edgy right now. But yeah. .New stuff and info is still pouring out of alpha.

where can i procure this information/

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

From what they've talked about the story so far, it looks like it takes place on Mars and then Hell. No talk of either moon so far.



I'm going to reach out on a educated limb here and say it'll be a blend that's more dynamic transition between hell and mars travel, as you'll be able to teleport between the two frequently throughout the game, though likely not from the very start.

And no, doubt phobos will reappear. Then again, if he does, perhaps to fill the void of space marine racial equality or better yet, token black guy. I mean, assuming phobos is.. since we never see his face. For all I know, he could be be latino, middle eastern, or indian desecent. Now that really makes me wonder. Hmmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Buckshot said:

And no, doubt phobos will reappear. Then again, if he does, perhaps to fill the void of space marine racial equality or better yet, token black guy. I mean, assuming phobos is.. since we never see his face. For all I know, he could be be latino, middle eastern, or indian desecent. Now that really makes me wonder. Hmmm.


I really hope this is satirical or something, but I can't tell. Phobos and Deimos are the names of the moons of Mars. Not people.

Share this post


Link to post

no bullshit, at first i thought he was just high as fuck, to the point where i suddenly stopped petting my dog and genuinely sat completely still in front of my monitor with a bland look on my face, dog now looking at me as if wondering why'd I stop, trying to figure out what the fuck his post even was

and then i remembered phobos was the name of one of the bots in quake 3 and it all came to sense. PFFFFFFFFFFFT

Share this post


Link to post
Buckshot said:

And no, doubt phobos will reappear. Then again, if he does, perhaps to fill the void of space marine racial equality or better yet, token black guy. I mean, assuming phobos is.. since we never see his face. For all I know, he could be be latino, middle eastern, or indian desecent. Now that really makes me wonder. Hmmm.


You could get one of these at Quakecon 2013.

Share this post


Link to post

I still dislike that thing, they really should've given the father of FPS a much better action figure. :/

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

I really hope this is satirical or something, but I can't tell. Phobos and Deimos are the names of the moons of Mars. Not people.


It is.


Course in due time, phobos won't even be around anymore as Mars is ripping and tearing it apart via gravitational pull..

So I have little hope for q3a's phobos character's own personal longevity, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:


I have one of those in my doom display cabinet, but it was just a clone of the green marine aside from skin and suit color when you set them side by side.

I mean, yes technically it's the same model in q3a, but I'd like to pretend there's some differences in the person behind the suit with their own respective stories...

Share this post


Link to post
Buckshot said:

I have one of those in my doom display cabinet, but it was just a clone of the green marine aside from skin and suit color when you set them side by side.

I mean, yes technically it's the same model in q3a, but I'd like to pretend there's some differences in the person behind the suit with their own respective stories...


There is, his background story states his dies in Phobos during the invasion because he is betrayed by his superiors, who for some reason thought they'd learn more about the demons by watching him die than by reading his reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Xerge said:

There is, his background story states his dies in Phobos during the invasion because he is betrayed by his superiors, who for some reason thought they'd learn more about the demons by watching him die than by reading his reports.



Ah, the q3a user manual. Forgot about those 'lil backstories...

Which makes me wonder about Quake 3 Arena... There was a fighting game for Sega Genesis called "Eternal Champions", and each character had a pretty cool backstory in that each character met a fate and was pulled moments from death into this contest of fighting by a certain deity, and whomever came out victorious was given their right to life back.

With that in mind, kind of reminds me of the phobos backstory.

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

You could always try google. Just don't post about it here. :)

I think i just soakef up everything there is now.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×