Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

So what is the best Zelda game?

In regards to MM... I never got to play it because I didn't like the idea of beating it within the time limit. Yes, I know you can reset the time to Day 1 with the Song of Time, but that doesn't make me feel better... you lose all Rupees that have not been deposited in the bank.

See, Zelda games were always about exploration without any worries; but when you're being forced to stop the moon from crashing Termina ASAP, the entire point of this mechanism is reversed.

Oh BTW, I'd take Zelda 1, ALTTP and OOT anyday.

Never owned a Nintendo console back in the day, so I didn't get into this series. I have a Gameboy/Color, and have the two Seasons games on that, wish I had more time to put into them. Upon buying a Gamecube in 2003 I picked up Windwaker, and thought it was fun. It came with the reissue or Ocarina of Time and that was nicely done too. Still, the way some people fawn over these games leaves me mystified. I guess fans see it has hard to fuck up, and can get reliable gameplay out of them.

Original, Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past. Oh and Link: The Faces of Evil. Not really played any of the others (except Zelda II some 12 or so years ago but that just pissed me off and I've disliked it since).

Edit: Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages are worth a look too.

Twilight Princess would've been my favorite 3D Zelda if it weren't for the forced wolf parts, I just hated them I recall.

I loved ALTTP Advanced and OoT 3D, but as for Majora's Mask I have mixed feelings for it.

BaronOfStuff said:

Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages are worth a look too.

^I second this, they were my first Zelda games and I still enjoy them to this day.

HavoX said:

In regards to MM... I never got to play it because I didn't like the idea of beating it within the time limit. Yes, I know you can reset the time to Day 1 with the Song of Time, but that doesn't make me feel better... you lose all Rupees that have not been deposited in the bank.

See, Zelda games were always about exploration without any worries; but when you're being forced to stop the moon from crashing Termina ASAP, the entire point of this mechanism is reversed.

Oh BTW, I'd take Zelda 1, ALTTP and OOT anyday.

You can slow down time to give you several hours to finish a dungeon in it. Why wouldn't you deposit all rupees in the bank beforehand?

Well...

I only tried Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time, and the Master Quest version.

I don't know why people like them so much, its so confusing!

I got stuck in the Wood Temple of MM.
I got stuck in... That barn where aliens come I guess?

If you ask me, its like playing a HacX map with more complications that stop you from progressing further. IMO.

Anyway, those two should be considered the best mind baffling Zelda games. Although I have this lack of interest for fantasy games, so those two may not be so. I hope you enjoy those two.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

You can slow down time to give you several hours to finish a dungeon in it. Why wouldn't you deposit all rupees in the bank beforehand?

You didn't have to quote the whole damn thing... :P

EDIT: Strangely enough, I still have an unopened copy of Twilight Princess for the Wii... I guess that's very valuable?

Captain Red said:

Dark Souls

Someone else read that Tevin Thompson article, eh?

Dark Souls is more akin to the first three Metroids and the Dragon Slayer/Xanadu series than it is the Zelda series.

I've only briefly played Majora's Mask (3DS version). It was okay but ended up being one of those games I have to sit down and play. I'm retty sure I've never touched any other Zelda games. I wasn't much into Nintendo ever outside Pokemon.

for me, the Oracle games and Link's Awakening are my personal favorites. I've played a ton of these games way back when and liked most of them, the only ones I didn't really like that much were Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass.

Windwaker, and is just me or is Ocarina of time still the most over rated game ever made? Its not even the best zelda game let alone the best game ever made.

Doominator2 said:

..let alone the best game ever made.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What you said was one of them.

Banjo-Kazooie was one of the best games I've played, and I miss playing it dearly. And no, I can't be arsed to buy an XBox One just to play it... if you don't know what I'm talking about, Microsoft just recently announced Banjo-Kazooie, along with Banjo-Tooie and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (the latter which I believe is not the same Banjo-Kazooie I know and love), will be backwards compatible with the XBox One, along with many other XBox 360 games.

Here's to hoping Yooka-Layee will be the cure to my nostalgia! Expect a thread about it at another time...

Getsu Fune said:

for me, the Oracle games and Link's Awakening are my personal favorites. I've played a ton of these games way back when and liked most of them, the only ones I didn't really like that much were Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass.

I still have multiple copies of Link's Awakening, and I've conquered that game.
I've yet to play Minish Cap, but that should be on my to-do list...
Phantom Hourglass wasn't too bad, but it did take a while for me to get used to the controls...
Spirit Tracks was the worst Zelda game I've ever played. I stopped playing it altogether after I got to the Ocean Sanctuary because it was frigging IMPOSSIBLE for me to learn Carben's song with that POS Spirit Flute.

HavoX said:

frigging IMPOSSIBLE for me to learn Carben's song with that POS Spirit Flute.

Omg lol, I remember that. Yeah, try it on an emulator for the mobile phone. The only thing spirit tracks had going for it was that the "roll" controls were much easier to pull off when just a double-tap was required. Rolling in Phantom Hourglass almost made me quit before I got into it, thank God Zelda games don't do much of anything with the "roll," aside from maybe knocking a ruppee out of a tree.

Oh and don't get me started on how boring the train ride sections were, even the stupid boat that could jump for no reason was better than the train.

If you liked the GB/SNES versions of Zelda, you'll like the Minish Cap. The only part that was kinda dumb was collecting and combining those medalions, but that was mostly optional anyway.

Fonze said:

Rolling in Phantom Hourglass almost made me quit before I got into it, thank God Zelda games don't do much of anything with the "roll," aside from maybe knocking a ruppee out of a tree.

there was a very interesting mechanic they did in PH where Link gets dizzy after repeated rolling. same with a spin attack.

really my problem with that game was not so much the controls or the majority of the gameplay, it's just the fact that I had to keep going to that same dungeon over and over again with the stealth mechanic and its timer. also that one puzzle inside there involving "press the sacred crest" was a stroke of absolutely EVIL genius. I would've never figured that out without a faq.

I really liked that dungeon; one of my favorite parts on the game. Getting dizzy was such a useless mechanic for me because rolling was already almost impossible. Prolly much easier on the original hardware with a stylus, though.

HavoX said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What you said was one of them.

Of course, stating that OOT is not the best zelda game is my opinion, however my point is that when Zelda OOT makes almost every best game of all time list, then it just makes me think they do that on purpose to prevent uproar from zelda fans. (Try even thinking about a flaw OOT had and the fans crucify you.)

I never quite got into the LoZ series - not really my kind of game. That said, I have a lot of affection for Wind Waker. The characterisation and art style really appealed to me for some reason; my partner has been playing through the HD version recently, and I've been enjoying following her progress.

In order.

#1. Majora's Mask

#2. Ocarina of Time

#3. Twilight Princess

#4. A Link Between Worlds

#5. A Link to the Past

#6. Skyward Sword

#7. Link's Awakening

#8. Oracle Zelda

#9. DS Zelda games

#10. The original Legend of Zelda

Why do I say this? Well MM is my favorite Zelda game, just because of how dark, depressing, and realistic it is. Furthermore, it's a really good Zelda game, and if you watch chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of it (which I recommend) you really get to know and understand how beautiful of an art piece it really is!

Ocarina of Time is my second favorite, because I grew up with it on the Gamecube at the age of four.

Twilight Princess is my third favorite because it's well... Twilight Princess. Still better than Wind Waker IMHO.

I 100% Wind Waker 15 times, and I felt there was untapped potential. They could have let you explore more dungeons, fight more enemies and bosses, more items, more puzzles, and let you explore Submerged Hyrule fully!

But alas that was not the case, and I felt WW to be kinda a drag.

I prefer SS to WW.

Also, I think that to really experience a Zelda game you have to 100% it.

Except the fucking Gold Skulltullas...

Don't collect anymore after you got the Heart Piece.

Because IMHO after that it's not worth collecting Gold Skulltullas anymore.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

OOT's progression is also linear so I don't really understand your complaint.

I don't really care about MM's sidequests. they're nice but the main reason I like the game is because of the artstyle, (there's more a variety of colors without spamming bloom effects everywhere) tone, and the fact the dungeons are pretty original compared to other Zelda games except for maybe Twilight Princess. I mean a dungeon that takes place in a hydroelectric dam and a dungeon that's a reference to a Japanese folklore story are both cool af. You can slow down time giving you several hours to complete a dungeon. The way I did it is I typically did the chain of sidequests you get before a dungeon then I would do the actual dungeon.

1: I don't remember any of the sidequests being hard apart from the Kafei one
2: You can get the fairies on the first run through the dungeon

I'm a huge Majora's Mask fan (I mean it is my favorite Zelda game, perhaps my favorite video game besides Xenoblade Chronicles and The Ultimate Doom), but what dungeon are you referring to when you say Japanese folklore?

Because now you have me curious, and I've been looking on the web for answers, and I can't find any. =P

dethtoll said:

Majora's Mask is like if Zelda were a Don Bluth cartoon.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be an insult or a compliment but I've seen a couple of Don Bluth movies before and I thought they were both pretty cool, honestly.

1. Majora's Mask
2. Link to the Past
3. Ocarina of Time
4. The GB and GBA Zelda games
5. Wind Waker
6. Legend of Zelda (NES)
7. Twilight Princess
8. Link's Adventure
Dead last. The Philips CD-i games.

I haven't played any of the newer games so I can't rank them. I probably played LttP and OOT the most when I was younger, I didn't like MM until I was older and a lot of the weird things in it made more sense.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be an insult or a compliment but I've seen a couple of Don Bluth movies before and I thought they were both pretty cool, honestly.

Definitely a compliment. Don Bluth is great.

I really liked the original one for NES...but my favorite is Majoras Mask. It was such a dark themed game, and that fascinated me.

Mmmm....now that's what I call Edgy, volume 666.