Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archvile Hunter

New Bethesda.net article on SnapMap

https://bethesda.net/?hootPostID=ca89ce084794c527bf29a1b5c2d39e9d#en/events/game/doom-snapmap-infinite-possibilities-endless-content/2016/02/26/83

Honestly, the more I hear about SnapMap, the more I just want to get my hands on it. The scripting is described like it is more powerful than we think right now. Not really anything new in the article, it's mostly a hype generator, but it's cool nonetheless.

Ever since Halo's forge got way to indepth for me to use, Ive avoided in game map makers. But Snapmap has me going back to the Timesplitters days. Those kinds of map makers I liked !

sleepii said:

Again, just regurge

Why do you think they're so adamant to let out new info, or at least post some new screenshots?

Glaice said:

I want information on advanced tools, not the basics..

I am getting a bit worried as they've seemed to spout mainly how easy it is. I'm going to be upset if we can't make custom Room shapes, all I'v seen so far is blocky rooms. I also really hope we can mix up the aesthetics, We'll see.

zinkai said:

All the rooms are blocks in what's in them that counts.

Yup, that's what Doom is all about. A box of monsters. Who needs level design when you can have a box of monsters?

MrGlide said:

I am getting a bit worried as they've seemed to spout mainly how easy it is. I'm going to be upset if we can't make custom Room shapes, all I'v seen so far is blocky rooms. I also really hope we can mix up the aesthetics, We'll see.

WE can't and I can give you 666% of that!

I wonder if it's possible if you can import your own wav files for level music.

I don't think so. The maps are supposed to be just files that load what everyone has installed on their system already from the games data

Clearly there is no shortage of people who want their own special version of the game so it can match their nostalgia.

Probably because it's blatantly obvious to anyone who's actually read the articles on Snapmap and how it works.

Again, probably not. But, get this, there's probably an L shaped room already there!

MrGlide said:

I am getting a bit worried as they've seemed to spout mainly how easy it is. I'm going to be upset if we can't make custom Room shapes, all I'v seen so far is blocky rooms.

All rooms are prefabs that the player puts together like legos. That doesn't mean all rooms are just going to be boxes. Also note that even when a room is just a box it's internal shape can still be greatly altered depending on whatever other prefabs/items you put into it. I remember playing around with the map editor for Timesplitters 3 on the PS2 and even though that editor was nowhere near as complex as snapmap appears to be not every prefab was just a box room.

Still, I admit that if snapmap isn't suppose to get dull they will need to create a fairly large and a varied amount of prefabs. Thankfully, I have the feeling that more may be created and released even after the game's release, either for free or as DLC.

I hope it's free dlc. I feel it would be a bit ridiculous to charge for more rooms especially if this is all we have to use on the modding side

hardcore_gamer said:

Still, I admit that if snapmap isn't suppose to get dull they will need to create a fairly large and a varied amount of prefabs.

They know this. This is the entire reason they brought Escalation Studios in. To develop snapmap and make sure it has enough content to actually be useful.

Also, you guys know "DLC" just means "Downloadable content" right? Technically every map made for Snapmap is "DLC". That actual term has no real bearing on whether you pay for it or not.

AirRaid said:

Also, you guys know "DLC" just means "Downloadable content" right? Technically every map made for Snapmap is "DLC". That actual term has no real bearing on whether you pay for it or not.

Yes I'm aware. Which is why I said I hope it's free dlc :)