Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

Doom Legacy's midi issue

This probably sounds completely obvious to many people, but the reason Doom Legacy's MIDI support is odd is because it uses a broken build of QMUS2MID, the same one available on the doom wiki I might add. The old d_runnin that Freedoom had showed the same brokenness when run through the qmus2mid build that I heard in Doom Legacy.

That is all.

I did use doom legacy as my main for a while on my old and now dead windows xp desktop. Doom Legacy 1.44 alpha3 is what I used at the time, and yes the midi playback was really bad in a play though in the reverie wad. I used slade3 and converted all the MUS into MIDI and got flawless playback.

I went as far as doing this for all the iwad tunes. To me this was the perfect workaround and I hope this helps for the newer versions.

Danfun64 said:

a broken build of QMUS2MID, the same one available on the doom wiki I might add.

What do you mean by "available on the Doom Wiki", the wiki doesn't host any program.
There's this page but it merely links to a few programs available on /idgames. If you mean that /idgames also has a different QMUS2MID that works better, please give a link to it.

blueinferno776 said:

I did use doom legacy as my main for a while on my old and now dead windows xp desktop. Doom Legacy 1.44 alpha3 is what I used at the time, and yes the midi playback was really bad in a play though in the reverie wad. I used slade3 and converted all the MUS into MIDI and got flawless playback.

Reverie had a companion wad with all the music in original MIDI format; ZREVMIDI.WAD.

Does Legacy not have the program integrated at the source level?

Oops stupid question, sorry!!! Long day today.

EDIT III: does this broken behavior sound noticeable in other ports that use MUS2MID or just Legacy?