Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Good horror movies that don't suck?

The Orphanage and The Descent are my personal favorites of the last couple of decades. The Orphanage especially is an absolutely outstanding old fashioned ghost story.

I would actually argue that horror has had something of a renaissance after the lows of the 90s. I mean a horror film won the Oscar for best original screenplay this year. When was the last time that happened?

Veld (1987). Good soviet horror that based on the Ray Bradbury's story. I don't know that you find that film with english subs. But I think that you without russian language knowing understand what happens in this film. 

When I've watched that film I cried. Why? If you want to know you should watch this film.

If you're looking for psychological horror, several of Alfred Hitchcock's movies are certainly undisputed classics, especially Psycho.

Basically Nearly Any Early John Carpenter Horror Film. The Latter Ones Were Ass
Begotten. A Weird Ass Horror Movie. Its Just Very Unsettling

Perfect Blue. May Be An Anime And Looks Like Some Pussy Shit But Its A Good Psychological Horror Film.

The Grabbers. Basically Aliens Come And The Only Way To Not Die Is To Get Pissed Off Drunk

For me a "horror movie" is a movie, that literally scares me. Not startles me or throws a ton of gore into my face (although, those are great as well. Braindead for example) but genuinely gives me an uneasy feeling.

The best in my experience so far were:

• Dark Water (japanese original)
  • The Ring (US remake for some odd reason)
  • Ju-On The Grudge (japanese original)
  • It Follows
  • The Witch

I've gotta go with Halloween(1978) if we're talking about classics,

IMO it still holds up just as good today though some of the acting is pretty bad, each scene with Michael sends a shiver down my spine I swear.