Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Airbag

Two sectors with the same tag?

It is possible to have two sectors with the same tag, isn't it? Cause I made a switch that is supposed to lower two sectors simultaneously (both have tag 20, as does the switch), but only one of them lowers when I hit the switch...

Archvile64 said:
It is possible to have two sectors with the same tag, isn't it?

Yes - switches and traps would be pretty limited otherwise! There is probably something different in the surroundings of the two sectors which is making them behave differently.

yes. yours isnt lowering probably because check all the heights around it, check whether its a Lnf/nnf/whatever, you know what i mean? check that.

What do you mean, "What type?"

Here, let me explain this a bit more clearly:

I am making an elevator. There is a control room aside from the elevator, with switches that raise and lower the elevator. The problem is, the main floor of the elevator is FLAT19, but there is also a section that I used a different Flat on. I want them both to lower/raise at the same time, but when I pressed the lower button, only the main part of the elevator lowered but the small strip with the different flat did not.

What is the number of the linedef type for the elevator as different numbers have different targets, for example...lowest neighbor floor...lowest neighbor ceiling...highest neighbor floor and so on.
Each sector must have a target with a different height if they don't move the same.

Archvile64 said:
[...]The problem is, the main floor of the elevator is FLAT19, but there is also a section that I used a different Flat on. I want them both to lower/raise at the same time, but when I pressed the lower button, only the main part of the elevator lowered but the small strip with the different flat did not.

Ok, the answer to your question then is: yes you can have more than one sector with the same tag, but they are triggered separately. They aren't tied together at all.

So Doom is treating your two sectors as two lifts. The main part of the elevator works because it borders the floor at the bottom. But the small strip is being treated as a separate lift, and I guess that it isn't touching the sector at the base (low end) of the elevator. Doom treats it as a separate lift, and will lower it to its next lowest neighbouring sector's floor - which is probably the floor of the main part of your elevator - which is at the same height, so it doesn't move.

So your question really is "if I tag two sectors with the same tag, does Doom move them as one", and the answer is generally "no", it moves them independently.

Depending on the exact trigger type, you can sometimes work around this by having a control area with a fragment of your inner sector bordering a control sector at the correct lower height, so Doom knows what level to lower the inner lift to. Depends if you want to get that technical :-), probably someone with a bit more editing experience and a bit less of a head full of Doom source code can explain this better than me.

Yes, where is the small strip that doesn't move? It sounds as if it's central on the lift floor, if so then the neighbor floor will be the other part of the lift and not the floor you want it to move to, as cph said the usual way to get around this is to have 2 small connected remote sectors (in the void outside your map)...one the same sector number as your 'strip' and the other with the floor or ceiling height (depending upon the linedef type i.e. your switch)set to the height you want the strip to move to.In this case the same as the floor the lift moves to.Hope this helps.

Archvile64 said:

What do you mean, "What type?"

I meant what the linedef does (eg. Floor: W1 down to lowest floor, or whatever the Zdoom equivalent is).

If it's a Zdoom lift you're using, then you can tie both sectors to a script:

script 1 void

{
Elevator_LowerToNearest (tag, speed);
Elevator_LowerToNearest (2nd tag, speed);
}

For the switch, select the linedef type: 'ACS_Execute' (first empty box is the script no. - that's all that's needed) and click the 'repeatable' box.

Oh, I see now. Duh. It's down to lowest floor and the strip in the middle isn't touching a lower floor. No problem, I'll just extend the strip to touch the floor at the bottom. Thanks yet again for putting up with my dumb questions, guys =)

Archvile64 said:

Thanks yet again for putting up with my dumb questions, guys =)

Heh, well a dumb question is an unasked one...

NOW GET BACK TO WORK!

:P

How about

two seperate line def tags = one sector.
e.g. bottom level lift button to move lift up and top level lift button to move down

how can i implement that?

The sector would have the same tag, for example, one, and both switches would also have tag one. However, one switch would have "Floor" tag SR: Up to next highest floor while the other would have Floor tag SR: Down to lowest floor.

So the tag doesn't change, only the tag's type.