Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Gaming: Did you fall behind?

I'm 30. I grew up playing 80s and 90s era games and kept up with gaming until about 2000. At that point the complexity of gaming began to confuse my poor, nostalgic brain. Now, I'm not one of those cranky fucks that hates modern gaming, but I think I've turned into the grandpa that "just doesn't get it." I think it's because the paradigm has shifted and the simplicity of reflex action, of get-from-point-A-to-point-B, of massive pixels and escapist fantasies, has been replaced with densely complex worlds and involved story arcs. I think the reason I played games growing up has very little to do with why people play games now. Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't think I fell behind; I rather fell forward. Games seem marketed at people who haven't seen enough and are still impressed. I'm still posting here on Doomworld because I want myself to finally get creative and start making a megawad. I care more about the creative aspect of games and I rarely have patience to play others' games and mods. Not even casual Dooming will make me happy if I'm feeling down.

Kinda. I don't mind games having story arcs (I love CRPGs; Ultima Underworld II and TES: Morrowind are among my favorite games ever) but there was a point where the promise of improved graphics stopped holding up much appeal to me, not when the trade-off was a loss of depth in the gameplay itself.

If anything, there's too much depth to the gameplay of the some of these newer titles. Not that I'd really know, because I don't play new games too often, but I find them overwhelming. To me the point of games is to distract yourself with something interesting and unique for awhile, that isn't really like other forms of media, such as movies, animation, literature, etc. Now it seems like cutting edge games want to combine all of those experiences, which is strange to me. And when games boast having 20, 30, 40, hundreds of hours of gameplay, that is very strange to me too. It's like they want us to invest way more time than we should be spending on them!

That's funny, I've barely seen much depth in the gameplay department of most newer games, a lot of them seem to focus too heavily with the graphics.

Well. I don't care too much. I love indie games as it brings me back into 2000 year. From modern games I'm interested only in Doom 4 and Half-life 3.

You're not missing much, Gaming nowadays is pretty boring, and it's getting worse, the games no longer feel like games, they feel like Movie simulators .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You're not missing much, Gaming nowadays is pretty boring, and it's getting worse, the games no longer feel like games, they feel like Movie simulators .

Yeah totally I really miss the old good moment where real games were fun and when the programers always makes great game that have actually an meaning of gameplay and instruction and story and when there is not Those dlc bullfuck where you need to buy for unfinished dumbshit.

I wonder how many people in this thread are actually aware that game publishers besides EA and Activision still exist.

Because that seems like its at a minimum.

I have this theory: Games became corrupted when certain people realized they made good money, it was then when marketing agencies took over and started dumbing down games in order to reach the biggest amount of people possible, because that means more sales, which means more money.

I'm sure most of you have seen this:

Arctangent said:

I wonder how many people in this thread are actually aware that game publishers besides EA and Activision still exist.

Yeah this thread is embarrassing. And I think at this point that Quake video needs to be considered a "modern gaming" Godwin.

I'd need to have kept up with gaming in the first place in order to fall behind.

Seriously though, no. I just don't leap in for day-one/midnight releases or get on board any hype trains because it seems to me that a lot of new releases are "disposable", in that they get a load of praise and attention leading up to and on release, then disappear quietly and everyone forgets about them -- I'd much rather wait for a price drop if that's the case. That, and in many cases I'm not particularly interested in the so-called "next big thing".

Arctangent said:

This sentiment right here. Great games still exist today, and you don't even have to dig too deep to find them. Heck, just land on the front page of GOG.com. You'll find a plethora of great games, old and new.

I dunno i really dont need play new games. Welp i bought tons of games on my steam account and i tried some and shit. But there are series of games which i like to play and follow the new releases like half-life, counter-strike, mafia, max payne, arena FPS like Reflex. There are still good games to play heh.

I've been forced to play old games (for now) mostly because I just couldn't afford hardware to play the newer ones but I still keep up with latest gaming news.

Maybe when I transition to modern gaming I'm going to try out those great games people are praising about

*BioShock
*Dark Souls
*The Last of Us
*Half-Life 2
*Assassin's Creed series
*Far Cry series
*The Witcher series
*Portal

...and the list goes on

Jellyman1303 said:

I've been forced to play old games (for now) mostly because I just couldn't afford hardware to play the newer ones but I still keep up with latest gaming news.

Maybe when I transition to modern gaming I'm going to try out those great games people are praising about

*Half-Life 2
*Portal

...and the list goes on

Actually :

Half life 2 :
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=338&game=Half-Life%202

Portal :
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=76&game=Portal

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You're not missing much, Gaming nowadays is pretty boring, and it's getting worse, the games no longer feel like games, they feel like Movie simulators.

Good to know i'm not the only one who thinks gaming is boring nowadays, modern games i play nowadays are console excluvises and games that my pc can't handle on my PS3 that appeal to me, otherwise, i'll just ignore them.

For me gaming is as good as ever, didn't fall behind or anything. I'm about the same age, turning 30 soon.

Of course there are areas where I'd like to see 90s game design make a comeback, stuff like FPS games having more creative levels etc. But there are tons and tons of great games today.

While I have plenty of nostalgia, there was certainly plenty of shovelware on the SNES, Genesis, PC etc in 90s along with the classics.

Random note, I think Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game since Super Mario 64 in 1996. And GTA5 is the best GTA since Vice City in 2002. Street Fighter V is the best Street Fighter (for local anyway) since Third Strike in '99, etc.

The market is so diversified today that it's pretty much impossible to not fall behind in some respect. I barely play any AAA releases at all. There was a time during the late 00's and early 10's where this also meant that my game purchasing habits had reached an absolute low point. But there is such a wealth of niche and independant alternatives thriving today that I have more quality games in my backlog than I can find the time for.

I'm not at all interested in modern gaming either. I don't think I could even explain why, but I just look at them and go "meh" 90% of the time. Games like Bioshock, Uncharted and, dare I even say it, Half-Life(don't kill me) aren't all they're cracked up to be in my eyes. I'm pretty sure it's not nostalgia, because I'm not the kind of person who is blinded by nostalgia goggles, and I'm pretty open to new things(I like to believe so anyway).

I posted counter-strike, hl, mafia bcz this games release every 5 years or so. So i am playing still the serie? I mostly like mafia for singleplayer.

Pavera said:

This sentiment right here. Great games still exist today, and you don't even have to dig too deep to find them. Heck, just land on the front page of GOG.com. You'll find a plethora of great games, old and new.

You don't even have to dig that deep.

We live in a world where Sony hitched their hopes for their last console on a difficult and complex action RPG made by a developer that, six years ago, almost no one in the west had even heard of.

But most of the older generation likes to pretend that Mario and Zelda are more hardcore than Bloodborne.

capodecima said:

I posted counter-strike, hl, mafia bcz this games release every 5 years or so. So i am playing still the serie? I mostly like mafia for singleplayer.

A Modern game isn't necessarily bad , Some of them keep what made them successful .

You shouldn't generalize and assume games today are all triple A boring or over complicated. You just need to explore more games until you find something unique, which there is a massive range in today's market.

I'm 27 and finding it much harder to get excited about modern releases but I finally found a survival game I love (7 days to die), a unique singleplayer / multiplayer game (Mount&Blade: Warband), recently fell in love with the concept of X4 games (Endless Space), always loved Medieval 2 Total War and and always return to Doom. But little games that feel old fashioned can be gems from Faster Than Light or the one man made village builder: Banished with lots of steam workshop support. A game I always return to is the Stalker series, especially how massive mega mods still get made for it.

Only the most famous and biggest games promote themselves but I guarantee there is a game out there you will love, it's just a matter of finding it. And more will come out in the future.

Some of modern games i played that don't actually suck :

* FIFA 16 .
* DOOM 3 BFG Edition, why not .
* Firewatch .

There's many more out there .

Mafia is so awful, though. Mafia 2 was a snore. I'm hoping the new one is better, but I doubt it.

As far as modern AAA gaming, I still manage to get reasonably excited about new releases. XCOM 2 had me nearly shitting the bed with the lights on, I was so stoked. I'm also very much looking forward to Deus Ex Mankind Divided. DXHR was exactly the kind of sequel DX1 needed, and more than made up for the unbelievable garbage that was Invisible War.

PC gaming was at its absolute nadir between 2003 and 2006. Talk shit about modern games all you want, but some of us still remember the stark difference between Deus Ex: Invisible War (2003) and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011.)