Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

pepper.wad - reality maps [/idgames]

Is it just me, or is Mediafire not playing nice?

(Download isn't working on my end)

EDIT: Well, I looked into the console in my browser, and it turns out NoScript's XSS feature may have prevented the download from occurring.

Wow, that screenshot is gorgeous: was that nice left-to-right red->purple->blue->green gradient intentional? :)

Oh nice, I was waiting for this ever since you commented on my reality wad. Here is my first exit without trying to be fast, rather just surviving. I was really afraid of hitscanners all the way through, and all the snipers combined with limited ammo put a lot of pressure on me (seems like you're almost forced to save some of them for later, otherwise you'll either have to do some punching or I don't know what).

I wonder if the name was inspired by the recent Sam Pepper controversy. :p

nice :D, pretty much as intended, though you did a bit more infighting than I did. The idea was that you don't get enough ammo to kill that one HK until after the invisible-wall fight, so you have to dodge around him, and stuff.

I was unsure how much I wanted to abuse hitscanners, might've gone a bit too hard. It's a fun juxtaposition, I remember in m02 of your maps the enemy I was least afraid of was the AV/rev, had to take down chainers asap. I definitely have plans for harder scenarios to put in subsequent maps, I'll have to be not-lazy and actually add difficulty settings though if it gets tougher.

And Sam Pepper? hah. I think I was happier before I googled that name and read what you were talking about :p. Instead I was referring to the beatles' album, a cheap comparison that jumped to mind after I added the psychedelic rainbow sky for gl-players :)

On a side note I guess I'll just change all future links onto my own domain, will save people the hassle of jumping through mediafire hoops and dealing with their downtimes.

So, uh, it took longer for me to set up recording an FDA than it did for me to get immediately murdered 3 times in a row. Lololol

Love this. Always a fan of maps where former human troopers are one of the most dangerous enemies. I've been planning to make some of these too, ever since I started bingeing on ToD demos.

Skill 4 FDA.

....I was afraid at first that you were going to do your Ribbiks-thing and have random stripes of damage-floor splashed about the place. Imagine my relief to find that instead you'd simply opted for some nerve-jangling hitscanner placement here and there. No spiderdemons, at least!

I think I had a bit more ammo than I was supposed to, but I probably went to more trouble with infighting than most players will. I think that with some budgeting the level is likely clearable with the chaingun alone, but that would of course entail leaving at least one or two monsters alive.

Anyway, simple enough, entertaining enough. I'm not sure how much longevity the 'Reality' design angle offers as a base for single map design, since practicality all but demands all such maps be short, compact and skirmish-based (perhaps there's more that can be done with a set of maps intended for a continuous playthrough, ala Memfis' last reality set), but nevertheless it's a stimulating little exercise to play something like this once in a while.

(.......you're going to do a map with damage-floor AND spiderdemons now, aren't you?)

Demon of the Well said:

Anyway, simple enough, entertaining enough. I'm not sure how much longevity the 'Reality' design angle offers as a base for single map design, since practicality all but demands all such maps be short, compact and skirmish-based (perhaps there's more that can be done with a set of maps intended for a continuous playthrough, ala Memfis' last reality set), but nevertheless it's a stimulating little exercise to play something like this once in a while.

You could make reality maps that are long and exploration-based but where the combat would be quite leisurely if the player had actual health and stuff. Few damaging floors, not too many hitscanners. Would like to see that done.

Angry Saint said:

sorry for asking, what is a "reality map"?

You aren't allowed to take damage at all. As in real life. Usually enforced by giving you 1HP via DeHackEd or whatever and then not placing (attainable) healing supplies.

Also, random idea: it would be cool if there was a reality map with a mandatory damaging floor crossing at some point, and the level revolved around gathering zealously guarded health bonuses to get enough HP to survive the crossing.

rdwpa said:

You aren't allowed to take damage at all. As in real life. Usually enforced by giving you 1HP via DeHackEd or whatever and then not placing (attainable) healing supplies.

Ok, thank you! Very interesting. I guess this has a big effect on the level design...

Love that colorful sky. Green runes look great too, haven't seen them before, maybe missed something?
I had hopes not to see a single hitscan enemy at least, instead you threw a pair of zombie squads. Chaingunners were placed nice though.
I'd like to see more, but maybe with wider arenas with mancubi and revenants and more ammo to spare. Might be fun to dodge the fireballs.

Here's a map01 max in 1:46. Cool reality map. At first I was put off a bit by the weapon selection, but it turned out to be fun to try a demo. :)

TimeOfDeath said:

Here's a map02 second exit max in 2:39. Cool map again. The red archvile room reminded me a bit of mork maps. :)

very cool! the strategy in the red room was exactly as intended, though I guess it's rather obvious given the setup and the switch placement. I hope you'll consider recording on the final version of this, these are fun to watch.

GrumpyCat said:

There is rocket jump shortcut on map 02, not so easy but not hard.
Is it intentional?

it crossed my mind, but I figured the stairs were too far away for it to be possible. clearly there are players more adept at such things than I :)

rdwpa said:

Map02 UV-death in 0:02.49. Maybe 0:02.40 is possible but I'm happy with this.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9adyha3blzmc6ya/pv02_uvd.lmp

Also that soulsphere is my favorite thing ever.

so uv-death is a thing? heh. Oh yeah, altering the max health was too funny I decided I had to incorporate it. Similarly, that means a reality-tyson map is possible, oh no!

hi. I made one more of these. In the tradition of mimicking memfis' release I'll stop now that I have 3 maps done. UV/HMP are implemented on all 3 maps, I'll upload it to /idgames or something after some bugfixing (if any pop up), and after I add HNTR.

this last map is pretty hard on UV, I think. glhf :)

download [v03]

Here's a first exit max on map03 in 5:04. Third time making it to the cybers (died the other times). Too bad you're stopping now, these are fun :)

cheers tod for the badass demos :). I may revisit this idea again, it's a lot of fun to map around.

here's a finalized /idgames link: download [/idgames]

added HNTR, fixed a few things. There's still a bug or two (e.g. you can grab the bfg in m03 through the wall), but they don't really affect max-routes so I don't mind