Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Wombat Cave

Doom 3 full 360 VR with Top Shot is Amazing

Working our way through FPS games in preparation for the new Oculus Rift and Virtuix Omni has brought us to Doom 3 BFG. The increased graphics add a realism to VR that makes it almost too scary to play, especially when you have to physically turn your entire body to face the other direction. Holding the Top Shot Elite, even though it is not tracked, convinces your mind it is a gun and makes it all the more real.

https://youtu.be/GvZ4-DgpkH0?list=PLQ0X5AEMsFWIDAAelI787F69Gd2_3Ee19

Doom 3 while standing in Virtual Reality in complete 360 degrees makes it an entirely new gaming experience, it's awesome.

It looks confusing because they don't have any tech for lining up the hands/gun of the subject with that of the player...

GoatLord said:

It looks confusing because they don't have any tech for lining up the hands/gun of the subject with that of the player...

Actually they do. The Oculus Touch and HTC Vive controllers, as well as Sixense Stem will allow 1:1 tracking of anything you are holding in game. All of these devices will be released in just a few months. For now I use the Top Shot Elite as holding the gun definitely adds to immersion even if it is not yet fully tracked, and having to physically turn your body to move in game brings it to a new level. I agree with you however, and am extremely excited for the other devices to arrive!

Having to actually stand upright while playing looks pretty annoying. And what's stopping you from walking into things or knocking your PC over while doing it?

EDIT: Watching your Quake video the dude says he has to aim with his head. So you aim at stuff by simply looking at it? That honestly doesn't sound very immersive at all and in fact sounds annoying.

It is not annoying at all. We set up chairs as a general barrier to keep you in place. Yes currently aiming is still done via head tracking which will change with decoupled aim in a few months. I am setting these games up so it will be easy to transition to using my Virtuix Omni treadmill and Sixense Stem controllers when they arrive. Playing games in this fashion is extremely fun and very immersive. Most everyone whom has tried playing doom 3 this way tore the rift off and said it was too scary they could not do it.

It's amusing how much more immersed, frightened, and timid players look in doom3 videos from 2006 than you do here just bumbling around with a full arsenal in the first map telling each enemy to "get rekt" or "skill baby" commentary.

Vorpal said:

It's amusing how much more immersed, frightened, and timid players look in doom3 videos from 2006 than you do here just bumbling around with a full arsenal in the first map telling each enemy to "get rekt" or "skill baby" commentary.

Believe me I did not handle this well. Corey does not scare easy and never gets any motion sickness (which is a problem without the positional tracking like new CV1 will have). That is why I have him experiment so we can tweak ideas. I can't get anyone else to play long enough to get anything meaningful from it, too scared.

He did however get so scared he had to take a break while playing Boogeyman, that game is just too much.

So he wasn't scared but you describe the vid as "almost too scary to play" and "AMAZING" and "entirely new gaming experience". And the guy in the vid hasn't touched doom3 before so I dunno where this sensationalism comes from.

I dunno it just seems like you are posting to this forum just to pad some ad revenue rather than actually contribute something worthwhile.

Vorpal said:

So he wasn't scared but you describe the vid as "almost too scary to play" and "AMAZING" and "entirely new gaming experience". And the guy in the vid hasn't touched doom3 before so I dunno where this sensationalism comes from.

I dunno it just seems like you are posting to this forum just to pad some ad revenue rather than actually contribute something worthwhile.

Your RIGHT! I spent $25 thousand on VR and camera equipment to make $1.50 per MONTH in ad revenue ;).

Seriously though, I've been purchasing and working with VR equipment since I was in college in 2000. Until now I have only done it for ourselves, friends, etc. My kids are getting older and hounding me to be on youtube cause they think they will be stars like pewdeepie. I won't let them do it alone so I do it with them and teach them to edit, etc. Corey is an employee of mine, I hired him at my work when he was a teenager, and he is now majoring in graphical design, so using my wife's studio is perfect for him.

Aside from that my agenda in posting the video is to spread awareness. I full heartedly believe in VR and have wanted it to succeed since childhood. It will fail unless people have awareness and support it. Since most people don't have several thousand to throw at "toys" in these early days, I do want to show what it is capable of when these technologies are combined together. But, thank you for the feedback on his gameplay, I will tell him to do more "over the top" acting like most people do on youtube... ;)

The content in the video is average, my criticism is the bullshit titles/descriptions language used around it.

Well I typed the descriptions and that is how it made me feel when I played it. My wife has been telling me to post the bloopers and all the times everyone quits, maybe that is a good idea. My intension was to show how capable the gameplay is.

How easy do you think it will be to play Doom 3 with OR once it comes out? I am still on the fence about VR because of how expensive it will be but my PC is recent and can handle it so I could buy it on launch if I wanted to. Problem is the lack of apps for it. How easy would it be to just start playing Doom 3 or the original Dooms for that matter.

Also lol at the pussies saying Doom 3 is too scary with OR. Was it also too scary for them without it? Doom 3 isn't really very scary, it's just spooky. Once you know where all the jump scares are the game ceases to be frightening.

hardcore_gamer said:

How easy do you think it will be to play Doom 3 with OR once it comes out? I am still on the fence about VR because of how expensive it will be but my PC is recent and can handle it so I could buy it on launch if I wanted to. Problem is the lack of apps for it. How easy would it be to just start playing Doom 3 or the original Dooms for that matter.

Also lol at the pussies saying Doom 3 is too scary with OR. Was it also too scary for them without it? Doom 3 isn't really very scary, it's just spooky. Once you know where all the jump scares are the game ceases to be frightening.

Doom 3 BFG is easier than most FPS since Carmack did add basic VR support before he left. If you go to: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2tni1d/doom_3_bfg_vr_w_rudimentary_dk2_support/

download the files and copy them into the doom 3 bfg directory. Oculus runtime 1.0 will have same compatibility as 0.7 and up, so should work with no problem. Games that are actually written for VR will just work innately out of the box.

I do not have the steam version of Doom 3 BFG, however, when Steam VR is activated all games with VR support work very well, even with Oculus. I do not know if Doom 3 is that simple or not however, I have not tried it myself. The VR mod works with other mods including high def tectures etc. I am too lazy to install those as the resolution on current dev kits is so poor, might be something I would consider for CV1 though.

All the older .wad games (doom 1,2 hexen, heretic, etc.) work out of the box with GZ3doom player, very simple.

As for being scared. I can say, I played Doom 3 at release and it scared me, but I played it through, taking breaks when needed. Playing in VR now, knowing the jump scares, I have a hard time forcing myself to walk into a known scary scenario. It is far more intense, causes natural self perseveration instincts to kick in.