Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moneyman

Does anyone still play DM maps ???

As the title states ...

I have been out of Doom scene for quite a long time. Every now and then I log onto Zdaemon to find barely anyone playing FFA. It appears most everyone is into survival and co-op. My only real interest was the faced paced nature only Doom DM could deliver.

I found my last unfinished work (DM wad) and decided to pick up mapping again and finish my planned package (roughly 5 maps), had a pretty cool concept in my head since 2007. Just wondering if these types of maps are even relevant anymore. Either way I am going to finish even if just for myself, has been fun re-learning how to map with something more up to date than Edmap lol. Been a few sleepless nights mapping with little concern for anything else ... just like the old days haha. Maybe I will get it right this time

on another note ... I did participate in the closed alpha of the new game (console) and really enjoyed that experience ...

Regards,
MONEYMAN

We do a fair bit of oldschool oriented DM on all 3 ports at #dmstuff on irc.quakenet.org as well, always nice to see Doomers returning to the scene!

Would like to see that DM wad you're working on too, I love me some dm mappin'.

EDIT: Since you're returning after a fairly long break, taking a brief look through this might help get you back up to speed :)

Thanks for the info DoomKid, this will help. Oldschool DM is also my main interest, never had more fun than playing wads like the dwango series, exec, gothic doom, greenwar.

My maps in the past were very old school, only learned how to 3d floors the Legacy way. Anything I would make, even now would be classed as old school I have worked on my detailing and texture alignment is certainly easier with a "modern" builder. Where I lacked in textures and detailing, I excelled in DM map flow, sight lines, spawns and weapons, ammo and power up placement.

This unfinished concept is called "Supercharged". had one map finished and started the second one, thats where I picked up. Already had added some custom graphics, sounds, music, title screen and interpic by way of Wintex which is now obsolete lol

Regards,
MONEYMAN

Do you really have to put "Regards, MONEYMAN" at the end of your posts? We already know who you are...

moneyman said:

My maps in the past were very old school, only learned how to 3d floors the Legacy way. Anything I would make, even now would be classed as old school I have worked on my detailing and texture alignment is certainly easier with a "modern" builder. Where I lacked in textures and detailing, I excelled in DM map flow, sight lines, spawns and weapons, ammo and power up placement.

That's awesome man, layout is always what's most important. Legacy style 3D floors still work perfectly in the Zandronum source port which is played by lots of people, so if you choose to do that your map will still be fully functional!