Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

Who wants their .wad played? ...on YouTube?

I really like this format and I've noticed that they are a few youtubers who like to play/review/react to different wads. Major Arlene is probably the foremost. She has like 250 reviews/playthroughs. I've looked into the archive and I've even played a few, but a common theme in these youtube videos is people asking for their shit to be reviewed. A few do, a few will... a few haven't. I like to see my map get played and as a way to encourage new mappers I would like to highlight people who are pushing their building forward. After I've become more familiar with this format, I may review viewer voted, "classic wads". I'm not the penultimate doom player, but I enjoy it a lot.

Maybe if I can figure out a way to run Twitch without sacrificing framerate so much I'll do it live, but for now... I'll have to do static reviews.

Just a few rules/shit to know.

1.) No betas. I want the ~1.0.
2.) Credits will be given in the description w/ download link. (If you do not include credits (ie. Just giving me a download link of a .wad without a credits.txt I will assume that you have not used any other resources other than doom or doom2.
3.) Please specify the port and IWAD. (Please have textures in your wad. I don't want to be wasting the 6Mb of disk space on textures I'm not using.)
4.) Is your map Vanilla? I'll be playing it (g)zdoom.
5.) If I remember and/or if it's possible, I will play without RUN to show off architecture. I will be using freelook. I'm a, "Neo maxi z(d)oom dweebie" and I will also be jumping, crouching and otherwise pissing off purists. If that's not your cup of tea, please specify.
6.) I will play your map in the difficulty setting of my choice.
7.) I will play a maximum of ONE map per review. If you've got a big project, pick your favorite. It's hard, I'm sure. Most of the audience that watches these will decide if they want to play it or not.

Here is my first review. Mine. https://youtu.be/xMom0GADRsA

Edits: Lots. Most importantly - and to avoid confusion - I've excluded the word, "test" from post. I will be testing your level to see if it is playable. If it's to hard. If they're doors that don't work and other things I might come upon. I will not be attempting to break your map. I'm not going to trigger doors and then walk away or otherwise try to do something obviously against your apparent intentions. I will play your map and from my visual play through you can have an idea of what the average player is going to do.

If I do find a bug or anything of that nature please be sure to include that information for viewer (including a new download link would be cool). If I see it I will update it in my description.

https://youtu.be/RJvLrzfIvo4

http://imgur.com/a/BSNwy

I couldn't beat it. It was too hard for me. In your credits.txt you said that you had set difficulties, but MAP07 was the same for all. Everything seemed to work fine. I didn't see any glitches. Your liquids don't do damage. Was that intended? I think you should go back and put some more finishing touches on it. Figure out the enemy tiering. There's a lot of areas that surround you and don't give you a lot of freedom to move. I think it's a good map. Everything was textured well. The buttons all worked. Triggers worked. The rooms all seem very basic - it would be nice to see you add just a little bit of detail to each room. Make everything have a focal point. I didn't like the way you had the blue key (on the post). I wish it were caged or made to feel like it really isn't accessible.

In the future I will just do one map. That way I can give it more attention and get good enough to beat them. I think MAP08 is the weakest out of the two.

Yay! Spagheeeetti

Single map (map01)
Source port: Zdoom
IWAD: Doom 2

1. Please, don't jump. It will break the map mechanic (maybe it's disabled already, I don't remember).

2. For some people, this can be HARD. I recommend try it on HMP or lower.

3. You have to figure out how to get health. But if you don't want to scratch your head on this, check the spoiler:

Spoiler

Eat some meatballs, earn stimpacks =P

https://youtu.be/0Uiy8elaWxQ as of the time of this post, the video is stuck at 95%. It should be up soon.

http://imgur.com/a/n9H4O

Sorry, Noiser... this one's just too hard for me. I really gave it my best effort. I played it several times most on the lowest setting and I was completely unable to beat it. I progressed to the Yellow key, but was destroyed by the Revs. I did not look at your spoiler and I did not figure out that I needed to eat the meatballs. I'm not sure how that is done? Use? I think it was funny and it was a good showcase of different modding techniques. The custom music was nice and the sky was amazing.

I liked your use of lifts even though they did get in the way at time. It makes the player use strategies and timing which is a nice effect. The Secret with the Rocket Launcher was nice. When I finally figured out how to get the blue armor it helped out a lot.

Oh sweet Ima have to watch that Spaghetti run; such a fun map :)

I'd like to see my most current creation played. Of course any feedback would be appreciated; preferrably brutally honest, heh. I think I did a good job with the architecture and aside from being a bit cramped at times, people seem to like it. The gameplay for HMP was positive, but UV is as of yet untested by anyone but me. It's pretty tough, though, (as far as pressure being applied to the player) so it might not be a bad idea to just go with HMP and call it a day.

CEv6
Format: Boom
IWad: Doom 2
MIDI: "I" by Black Sabbath

You can jump and crouch all you like, you wont break anything on this small map.

Fonze said:

Oh sweet Ima have to watch that Spaghetti run; such a fun map :),

It is fun, but there are some mobility issues and difficulty settings to address. I did like it, but I don't feel like it's quiet done.

https://youtu.be/vdUFhqNFX5s

http://imgur.com/a/Jbmte

Fonze... I really like your map a lot. You've really put a lot of attention to balance with weapons, ammo and monsters. Your textures all look very nice and your buttons/triggers all work as they should ... up until the point I got to. It was - like you said - a bit cramped in some areas, but I don't think it was horrible. I did not like the Hell Barons that teleport near your only exit in the large room. The only place that felt really cramped was your stairway on the outside of the map.

Your celings looked beautiful with the circular Skybox. It was a very nice effect. Your "reactor" was very cool too. Did that have a crusher effect on it?

https://youtu.be/ppbXSbdYk0w

http://imgur.com/a/VJjTd

While on Twitch I got to talking to a user named, "D0pamineCloud" or Dopamine Cloud on Youtube. He gave me the .wad for a map he created called, "vents." It's a really nice map. Somehow he uses teleporters or something to give an effect that it is layered. It was created with zdoom and does have a slope so zdoom or similar for sourceport. It uses the doom2.wad.

Thank you very much for the video playthrough; I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately the Hell Knights had to be there to help prevent the player breaking a particular mechanic, but it was really cool to watch you play through the majority of it and I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much! I really appreciate what you're doing here and I hope you keep doing it; I subscribed to your channel. Normally I don't like commentary on videos, but I enjoyed it here on my and Noiser's maps, so kudos for that :) My only gripe with the videos is that the volume is too low. But I'm sure with time you'll get not only more skilled at surviving maps like the Spicy Evil Spaghetti, but more used to seeing the advanced mapping tricks that mappers use. I'll watch some of these other ones tomorrow, but I think you were a bit harsh on the spaghetti. I think you should spend a bit more time on these when you make the videos. Several a day is nice, but don't burn yourself out trying to make too many. Also, while I'll agree with you that the difficulty settings in that map did seem a bit underdeveloped, I never saw you eat your meatballs (and your video missed the hilarious clue next to the start of the map to eat the meatballs) >.<

To answer a couple of your questions about my map:

GzDoom renders things differently because it uses OpenGL (hardware) for its graphics, so things such as fog and brightness/darkness will look different. But to get back to the answer, yes, the map does normally look a bit brighter than that.

The reactor did have a crusher effect.

There may have been more but I forget them now.

Once again, thank you! I'll watch some of these other ones when I can.

Didn't get a lot of players for my last mapset, I'd be super grateful for any feedback.

Hell For Leather EP1
Maps 01, 04 (both pistol startable)
Compat: Zdoom

Wasn't made with jumping in mind, I can't think of any spots it would break off the top of my head, but best not to use it just in case.

Gifty said:

Didn't get a lot of players for my last mapset, I'd be super grateful for any feedback.

Hell For Leather EP1

Wasn't made with jumping in mind, I can't think of any spots it would break off the top of my head, but best not to use it just in case.

Which one (1) would you prefer that I play?

everennui said:

1.) No betas. I want the ~1.0.
2.) Credits will be given (and shown) in the video so please use the proper format.
3.) Please specify the port and IWAD. (Please have textures in your wad. I don't want to be wasting the 6Mb of disk space on textures I'm not using.)
4.) Is your map Vanilla? I'll be playing it (g)zdoom.
5.) If I remember and/or if it's possible, I will play without RUN to show off architecture. I will be using freelook. I'm a, "Neo maxi z(d)oom dweebie" and I will also be jumping, crouching and otherwise pissing off purists. If that's not your cup of tea, please specify.
6.) I will attempt to play your map in UV.
7.) I will play a maximum of TWO maps per game. If you've got a big project, pick your two favorites. It's hard, I'm sure.

These are awfully specific and, honestly, kinda nonsensical:

1. Betas exist for the sole purpose of playtesting, in order to produce a quality final version.
2. ok
3. Ok sure, but this ties into the next point:
4. uhh why? It would be better for compatibility to play vanilla (and Boom maps) in PRBoom+ or something. Plus, you could just record demos and ignore the whole youtube upload process, which is what most people do for playtesting. ZDoom maps, well you kinda have to play those in ZDoom so sure
5. Playing without run... why would you subject yourself to this? This seems unnecessary. Freelook, ok fine, this doesn't reallyaffect much. Jumping and crouching, however, definitely can (and will) break maps and should only be done if the author allows to do so (I think you stated this though???)
6. ok
7. One of the main points of playtesting is to, you know, playtest the wad. This means going through every map to make sure it's balanced, not broken etc etc.

AD_79 said:

These are awfully specific and, honestly, kinda nonsensical:

1. Betas exist for the sole purpose of playtesting, in order to produce a quality final version.
2. ok
3. Ok sure, but this ties into the next point:
4. uhh why? It would be better for compatibility to play vanilla (and Boom maps) in PRBoom+ or something. Plus, you could just record demos and ignore the whole youtube upload process, which is what most people do for playtesting. ZDoom maps, well you kinda have to play those in ZDoom so sure
5. Playing without run... why would you subject yourself to this? This seems unnecessary. Freelook, ok fine, this doesn't reallyaffect much. Jumping and crouching, however, definitely can (and will) break maps and should only be done if the author allows to do so (I think you stated this though???)
6. ok
7. One of the main points of playtesting is to, you know, playtest the wad. This means going through every map to make sure it's balanced, not broken etc etc.

1.) The tilde, "~" when used with numbers is to show an approximation. 0.9 is ~1.0 (I'm playing this on youtube. Do you want your broken ass map showcased as a hunk of crap that is going to appeal to no one and not get played?
3.) As far as I know (aside from some dynamic lighting) anything that will play in zdoom will have no problem playing gzdoom. That's why I expressed an ability to be flexible. Asking for submissions to be clear regarding compatibility. I don't have a problem playing without, crouch, jump and freelook. If you don't specify I will use everything.
4.) If your map is vanilla. YOU test it in boom. I don't see why I should be responsible for you using boom to see if everything checks out.
5.) If it is not possible, I will not use run to show off the architecture.
7.) I guess as far as touching all the, "points" of play testing... I'll just have to miss that one. I will playtest one map and review it. If you'd like more... ahh... it's not me. Pick your map strategically. Maybe you can find someone who doesn't mind playing through the whole thing elsewhere. Really... I'm giving an inch. Any more is asking for a mile.

All in all it sounds like you got a pretty good plan for your Youtube playtest series. Be sure to keep us posted with links and such to the videos that you review. I look forward to it!

If anyone doesn't like my format I encourage suggestions, but the source port is pretty much of little consequence. I will do one map. Maybe you can use my review as a hub to find other people that are more interested in doing a play through. If I find your map enjoyable... I might play through the whole thing, but don't expect to see a 2 hour play through on Youtube.

Everything - from this post to my videos - are from the hip. If I just sit and plan shit all day it wont get done. I find it better to just jump in and sink or swim.

everennui said:

Which one (1) would you prefer that I play?

Weird, I could have swore it said two when I made my post. In that case, I suppose map04.

If anyone has anything they want me to say in their videos after these last few requests, please send me a message and I'll read it. If you want to thank your mom and dad, or tell, Susie, you love her... that's fine too. It's a bit drab just listening to my streaming train of thought for 20 minutes. Otherwise I was thinking about reading like fan fiction or the story of doom. maybe i can do an episode about john carmack, or id software. Just something that makes it worthwhile for everyone to watch and yet retain enough of a review that it yields some helpful stuff for the authors. Just something to throw into the mix.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm totally up to listen.

I have also thought about the megawads thing. If you have a megawad, I'm just going to play the first level. That's the one you "finish last," right? To quote John Romero. I think if you have a wad, your first level is going to be the one that sucks you in. I think that's what this review should do. I don't think it's fair for me to sum up your entire wad based off of one map, so I will check out the other maps too. The idea behind this series is to just showcase the world of modding and give doom the props it deserves.

All of this has felt so natural and I really have enjoyed doing it. I hope to continue for a long time. With my numbering system starting with 0001, I obviously wish to do a few thousand.... is that possible? I don't know. ...but as long as it's fun I'll keep doing it.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Mine :(

Name : Death awaits
MAPNAME : MAP01
IWAD : Doom 2
Sourceport : ZDoom
Link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/ip6q4gphkpch3vb/DeathAwaits.wad
Requires Jumping and Crouching

https://youtu.be/tgwBMUvV0Uc

http://imgur.com/a/v1zcG

Are you trolling me right now, bro? I thought your map was set up well. You had some really cool sloping and water effects. I like that you put it in there. Someone worked really hard on that and I think it's a shame that more people don't use it.

The start of the map made me think it was going to be something really special. It wasn't. It was nice to look at, but it was let down. You achieved your goal - I assume - of making sure the player gets killed. The title says it all.

Gifty said:

Weird, I could have swore it said two when I made my post. In that case, I suppose map04.

I'm sorry. I did change it. I should have included an edit. I played both of your maps to make up for it, but in the future I'll just being doing the first map in a WAD for bigger maps.

Gifty said:

Hell For Leather EP1

https://youtu.be/tp0dcq9HMbY

http://imgur.com/a/ADeoh

I like these maps. It feels like Doom "3". Very nicely balanced.

CWolfRu said:

How 'bout that?

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1548138

Author: Lainos
Comatose \\ Overdose 2
Doom2 as IWAD
Limit Removing, best perfomance in PrBoom\GlBoom+
Compability level: 2

https://youtu.be/PcIO14WzJt8

http://imgur.com/a/2XLwR

Done and done! That was a treat! I will also provide a link to the review on Lainos' page. For the record I did not realize you were not the original author of this wad. I'm trying to do people that request a review as of right now. I'm glad you showed this to me though.

EDIT: The volume is a bit to low in this version. I currently have a fixed version uploading on youtube right now.

EDIT2: I just did it before bed. Link is fixed.

EDIT3: This video just keeps giving me guff.

everennui said:

I'm sorry. I did change it. I should have included an edit. I played both of your maps to make up for it, but in the future I'll just being doing the first map in a WAD for bigger maps.

No problem; thanks for taking the time to play through them!

Gifty said:

No problem; thanks for taking the time to play through them!

Thank you for presenting me with them. They are good maps!

everennui said:

Thanks for the gameplay, glad you liked it , also the title was thrown randomly, it doesn't necessarily mean you would die in that map (lol) .

Also there's a reason why i put rockets near cyber, and an invulnerability, you have to get too close and shoot him while you're invulnerable, and while you're there you can get the ammo near him, and when you're out of invulnerability you just fall back and shoot him from long distance, yea i know i was lazy to think of a better way .

Here are a few (both require the included M27 and T20 resource wads) :
Suitepee's Revenge

Father's Day Map

WIP resource wads (contains custom stuff I've made, as well as a little bit of stuff from realm667 and other places, each credited with the Decorate info files:
M27 (monsters, items, etc.)
T20 (textures)

Both are made for zdoom in Hexen format. I'd recommend playing HNTR or HMP for both of them, unless you are already familiar with my custom stuff.

Ok, this sounds like fun so, why not?

Here you go:

- Map 1 -

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qcaqiu2us7ftoyb/Water+control.wad

Map name: Water control

Part of a larger project: YES (Doomworld megaproject 2013)

Port needed: Anything that supports UDMF (ZDooM and GZDooM are fine in that regard)

Map slot: Map 01 (Map 04 of the zdoom wad in the doomworld megaproject)

Length: Medium I guess

- Map 2 -

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/pc_cp2

Map name: Canyon Complex

Part of a larger project: Yes (2048 Unleashed)

Port needed: Tested with prboom. Feel free to use whatever port you want (Zdoom, etc...). Probably not chocolate doom as it uses boom specific linedefs.

Map slot: Map 08 of the main episode (maps 01-32)

Length: Short (2048x2048 playable area)

Will be awaiting your playthrough (if you do one) :)

PS: I'm also known as yugiboy85 on youtube. You won't be surprised when I leave a comment like that :)