Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xerge

Should you be able to get damaged during glory kills?

I don't even know if you are able to get damaged or if there's a thread about this already, but I think you should be able to get damaged by demons because that would add a risk factor to it, probably making it more rewarding and exciting than just engaging an animation that looks cool and profit from it for "free", so my idea is that you should risk your health to get the goodies, that would be the prize to pay; the risk.

Been discussed couple of times, and id already said you have iframes during glory kills.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

what are iframes, i suppose "Invulnerablity frames" .

That sucks. I hope someone makes a mod.

Xerge said:

That sucks. I hope someone makes a mod.

That would suck more, Imagine losing control during glory kill and still possible to be killed, Ew, i think it's better like that since Glory kills don't take to long to be finished .

Invulnerability i guess is necessary unless you sped it up, its a core mechanic ive noticed after seeing some mp, which its fairly quick already but still leaves you vulnerable because you are locked in therefore someone could get the jump on you. The glory kills themselves arent a bad element, execution could be patched but until we see some serious exploits (idunno like using a glory kill to glitch past a wall or somehow give you prolonged vulnerability) i think its fine the way it is.

ArchvileHunter said:

I am almost certain invincibility frames are for single player only (as someone who participated in the closed alpha).

Nope, you can't kill players in Multiplayer while they're doing it either .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Nope, you can't kill players in Multiplayer while they're doing it either .

False. You could kill players mid glory kill if they were killing another player, but the GKs are fast enough you've got to be quick about it. GKs on the revenant did seem to grant invincibility though. Granted that was in the alpha, things could change in the final product.

The one that I noticed was easiest to stop was where you kick the enemy in the air and punch his face off simply because it was the longest. It was quite disappointing to lose one too. Lol

I noticed the mancubus GK was waaaaay faster in the Conan footage, like more than twice as fast. I think id is fully aware that they need to be short and sweet. In Brutal Doom, they're way too long and the iframes don't necessarily help because nearby enemies can crowd you, leaving you extremely vulnerable the instant the kill is completed. I imagine the same thing could happen in Doom '16 in a busy situation. So in my book the iframes aren't going to necessarily make things easier.

GoatLord said:

I noticed the mancubus GK was waaaaay faster in the Conan footage

It's been confirmed that the player can choose a perk that speeds up the glory kill time, as well as other aspects like switching weapons and even general movement speed. There's a good chance that perk was enabled for the Conan demo.

Here's the quote:

In this case, Martin is focused on pure speed. He’s made a series of choices that will allow him to do everything quicker. Switching weapons? Faster. Swapping weapons mods? Faster. Movement? Faster. And best of all (considering that Martin is a self-professed Glory Kill fiend), his DOOM Marine gets a temporary speed boost any time he does a Glory Kill. This enhanced speed can be maintained for as long as possible by staggering several demons and zipping from one Glory Kill to another to trigger a succession of speed boosts. Oh, and if that isn’t speedy enough, Martin also set up his Marine so he acts like a vacuum-cleaner, hoovering up health and ammo from a greater distance; that way, Martin never has to take a break from the relentlessly fast killing in order to grab any goodies that spew forth from demons (alongside the copious blood and gibs).

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/inside-dooms-brutally-fast-single-player-campaign/2016/02/17/78

Personally, I just hope these perks can be invested in rather quickly, or at the very least there should be a New Game+ option so that we can acquire these perks and then re-play the campaign over and over with our preferred setup.

Johnatone said:

False. You could kill players mid glory kill if they were killing another player, but the GKs are fast enough you've got to be quick about it. GKs on the revenant did seem to grant invincibility though. Granted that was in the alpha, things could change in the final product.

Still he would get a point for Killing that player, whether he died while glory killing him or not, The player who you grab will blow up if you get killed in the time you grab him, but you will still get a kill point for grabbing him :P .

Johnatone said:

The one that I noticed was easiest to stop was where you kick the enemy in the air and punch his face off simply because it was the longest. It was quite disappointing to lose one too. Lol

Do players drop ammo and health when you do a glory kill on them?

Xerge said:

Do players drop ammo and health when you do a glory kill on them?

Killed players drop armor shards; I believe this was true for GKs as well. Shit was pretty hectic. I almost always had a good chunk of armor anyway; unlike 90% of people I played against on PS4 I actually understand item management in the heat of the battle (MrDeAd did a good job of taking my megahealth though, lol).

Also, did they get a point even if the GK was cancelled out? I never got one when I was killed mid GK, and I don't remember seeing the enemy score go up when I saved my buddy from one. Seems like forever ago since I played, so sad they decided to skip the third alpha. (Also, not sure why people were celebrating having "called it" in regards to the cancelled third alpha. Like, you pessimistic cunts, some of us were really hoping for as much hands on time as possible and you're gloating about us getting denied. Lol)

Johnatone said:

Killed players drop armor shards; I believe this was true for GKs as well. Shit was pretty hectic. I almost always had a good chunk of armor anyway; unlike 90% of people I played against on PS4 I actually understand item management in the heat of the battle (MrDeAd did a good job of taking my megahealth though, lol).

Also, did they get a point even if the GK was cancelled out? I never got one when I was killed mid GK, and I don't remember seeing the enemy score go up when I saved my buddy from one. Seems like forever ago since I played, so sad they decided to skip the third alpha. (Also, not sure why people were celebrating having "called it" in regards to the cancelled third alpha. Like, you pessimistic cunts, some of us were really hoping for as much hands on time as possible and you're gloating about us getting denied. Lol)

In my opinion they should drop health and/or ammo too, so in case you are low on health you can profit from performing that GK, but not without risking your life or health for it, so I think you should still be able to get damaged when you perform one. I mean that would make more sense as in it adds a more interesting porpuse for the GK, because if they already drop the same stuff even if you don't perform a GK then what's the point? Just watch a cool animation? If that's the case then ID must think we are very sadistic bastards.

GoatLord said:

I noticed the mancubus GK was waaaaay faster in the Conan footage, like more than twice as fast. I think id is fully aware that they need to be short and sweet. In Brutal Doom, they're way too long and the iframes don't necessarily help because nearby enemies can crowd you, leaving you extremely vulnerable the instant the kill is completed. I imagine the same thing could happen in Doom '16 in a busy situation. So in my book the iframes aren't going to necessarily make things easier.

There are upgrades that make executions faster.

No, no, no, you can die during glory kills. Good for saving teammates in peril, but they're quick so you have to be on the ball. Adds a risk/reward - you have a chance of getting an instant kill instead of, for example, risking a shotgun blast that may miss or just graze the enemy (and giving them a few crucial seconds to turn the dual in their favor - things got that down to the wire sometimes and it was awesome) but if the enemy is working together well their buddy can save them by killing you, and you're left wondering if maybe, just maybe you should have just shot the bastard instead.

Revenant glory kills did make you briefly invincible IIRC and grants an instant pick-up of the rune (just killing him locks it out for the enemy team for a few seconds to let the killer and his team get the pickup; a coordinated team can guard it and pick it back up) and then you usually run into two scenarios - either the entire team was running with the revenant and you mow them down while they're still scratching their heads or they work together, instantly take you down and get the rune right back.

Like I said, the MP was frantic and fun.

I agree though, a little bonus to the GKs would be a good incentive instead of the three(?) armor shards. Otherwise it's just for style, bragging rights and getting that little bit of an upper hand in a dual.

I would like to see a mode - official or user made, I don't care - that eliminates GKs altogether just as an option. Kind of like how I wouldn't mind BLOPS3 nearly as bad if it had a mode without score streaks rewards. Make it purely about the skill again.

God damn it I want to play again! Why such the long wait for the next test!

Zemini said:

God damn it I want to play again! Why such the long wait for the next test!

It's still possible, launch it with following commands and browse servers if you haven't updated your alpha copy .

I AM A GODDAMNED IDIOT

Zemini said:

Probably against the NDA and there would be nobody to play with.

Believe it or not, there's too many .

Short answer: No

Long answer: Nope

(Just my opinion thought, really won't mind if you can. As stated could be a cool risk/reward)

you can try setting up a private botmatch with strafejumping on too if yad like

I AM ALSO A GODDAMNED IDIOT

Doomkid said:

(Just my opinion thought, really won't mind if you can. As stated could be a cool risk/reward)

There's no risk, the Master servers are down , it's just a trick to bypass the end time .

AirRaid said:

Really guys?

I suppose so, thought you said "don't leak gameplay videos, screenshots and similar things" .

And you didn't think explicit instructions on how to access a currently inactive alpha test would come under that?

AirRaid said:

And you didn't think explicit instructions on how to access a currently inactive alpha test would come under that?

To be honest, No :P

okay I'll admit that made my chuckle heartily

i also admit i knew just what i was getting into in the back of my head but chose not to pay any mind at all lmao

I think part of the reason iD made you invulnerable was so you could witness glory kills in all their... well, glory:P

But, I suppose keeping you invulnerable with each and every GK takes away from the risk factor. So, maybe what they could've done is perhaps allow invulnerability for each new glory kill introduced; and then each proceeding execution allow for damage response...