Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

HOLY BALLS, NEW COVERS!

DooM_RO said:

You wouldn't be saying that if that were the case for the new game.

Still don't get it, Is there anything wrong with the New covers ?

No the only thing wrong is people, including you, trying to transpose every single feature of those pieces of art onto actual ingame characters or features, and then starting arguments when you disagree on what some random figure in the picture is supposed to be. :P

It's obviously all heavily based off the game assets, but not all of it is going to be 100% translatable.

AirRaid said:

No the only thing wrong is people, including you, trying to transpose every single feature of those pieces of art onto actual ingame characters or features

Eh, i was just telling what i thought about .

MFG38 said:

The black one with the Icon of Sin(?) looks cool as fuck.

Yeah I was originally planning on voting for that one, until I decided that they shouldn't be rewarded for pussying out on a proper pentagram on the back. It still looks really good, but I can't vote for it on principle. The other sleeve, on the other hand, is just straight up awesome.

A is primitive in a way that is would be better "add-on" cover. B is more decorated, but too red and looks like forced homage to Doom 1 cover art. I don't know anymore what this new Doom is going to be and what I want it to be, so my answer is A.

"The official cover is to bland! New doom confirmed COD. I wish they drew inspiration from the old cover."

"This alternate cover is too much like the old one, what a cheap ripoff id 0/10"

SooisZA said:

"The official cover is to bland! New doom confirmed COD. I wish they drew inspiration from the old cover."

"This alternate cover is too much like the old one, what a cheap ripoff id 0/10"

Post = Truth

What if the option A would be the main cover , while the option B would be what you see in the reverse ?

Option B looks much better when it's used in the reverse IMHO .

mordecai32 said:

What if the option A would be the main cover , while the option B would be what you see in the reverse ?

Option B looks much better when it's used in the reverse IMHO .

Maybe it would, so you can get the feeling that you are unleashing or revealing hell when you open the case, that is actually a neat idea if that's what they're going for but the cover would still have to be more representative of what the game is about to send the appropiate message with it. Option A focuses too much on the mystery and dark aspects of the game leaving other important aspects aside (like the action, the tech, etc), although there's some mystery and darkness in Doom those are not all it's main strengths as a game or the main points of the concept.

edit: for example the revenant is a better choice because it depicts all it's aspects: demon DNA, weapons, action, tech, science, etc.

A cyberdemon would also be a good choice if he looked better, but the point is that he also depicts all the aspects of the game, I bet that's why they chose him for the teaser reveal trailer; unholy union of flesh and metal.

Doomkid said:

Agreed, they should work harder to make the game something that existing fans won't like.

Srsly ignore these people theyll turn anything into a criticism

Man, some of us are really giving id a hard fucking time. They're a somewhat outdated company (in terms of design philosophy) that is trying their damndest to make one last hurrah, a make-it-or-break-it comeback that will essentially dictate their future, and yet some of the most loyal fans have created this mental scenario where it's impossible for them to be satisfied. I had a short laundry list of problems with D16 that I've slowly narrowed down to almost nothing, because I went Bill Clinton on id; I feel their pain. I want them to succeed really badly, and have tried to embrace everything they're shown us, because I think they understand the appeal of the classic games and the modding community's contributions.

Mogul said:

they shouldn't be rewarded for pussying out on a proper pentagram on the back.

I didn't vote for A, but i think its more subtle a new designed occult simbol than just the cliche pentagram, keep in mind, the pentagram it's not even a real satanic symbol and its used as a lame anti-cristian icon by rebel kids who wouldn't hurt a fly.

CreamCheese said:

does anyone think that DoomGuy looks like a valiant knight in armour in option b? Its a good thing

Yes. He looks way more heroic in B. It's actually much better than the original it's based off IMO.

Touchdown said:

I have skimmed through the thread and I have to say that I feel like I'm from a different universe or something.

This is what I said a week ago in the Cyberdemon thread and here were are today, I can only say the same thing again. I can't wrap my head around why is this terrible cover getting such positive responses. There's literally nothing I like about it. It's not even a good answer to the original artwork, just a cheap knock off that looks like a fan art. I don't get it at all.

Touchdown said:

This is what I said a week ago in the Cyberdemon thread and here were are today, I can only say the same thing again. I can't wrap my head around why is this terrible cover getting such positive responses. There's literally nothing I like about it. It's not even a good answer to the original artwork, just a cheap knock off that looks like a fan art. I don't get it at all.

Describe your ideal cover.

Winged_Warrior said:

I didn't vote for A, but i think its more subtle a new designed occult simbol than just the cliche pentagram, keep in mind, the pentagram it's not even a real satanic symbol and its used as a lame anti-cristian icon by rebel kids who wouldn't hurt a fly.

What does the symbol mean?

I like Option A but Option B looks pretty badass too.

Pretty sure this 'Realm of Titans' is going to feature a cameo of the original Icon of Sin's carcass, if not a new one as a boss fight. ;)

Look guys, I don't think it's 100% perfect either. I mean the composition is great but the brushwork could use a little more polish. You can clearly see the Photoshop brush in some places. It will not be noticeable on the cover (since it is so small) but still, a minor nitpick.

Aside from that I am really just grateful that Id is making a new Doom game, are taking risks with it and is listening to our complaints (at least to an extent)

DooM_RO said:

Describe your ideal cover.

Touchdown said:

(...)

Personally I don't really like the original DOOM box art either. It's just this typical Army of Darkness type of thing that we've seen many times already. I don't necessarily need a cover that 'tells a story'. But it needs to have a character. I actually brought something similiar up last year. As far as box arts go, I like those:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
SOMA
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
id Anthology
BioShock (steelbook)
DOOM Collector's Edition
RAGE

The old Doom logo was helpful to get the appropiate message across, but since they took out the tech texture they need to rely on something else now.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I feel like id looks at these threads and wonder what the fuck is wrong with these people.

I'd hope that they're accustomed to the insufferable fuckhole that is opinions on the internet by now.

HellVain said:

Sweet mother of god, B is hellishly godlike. Just like the old one.
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/doom.png

I love the overall concept of B, but I don't particularly like how it looks. The original is awesome because of its crisp, highly-detailed, hand-drawn look, whereas the B version looks almost splotchy. To me, it just makes it seem very amateurish (fan art-ish?) in comparison.

MrDeAD1313 said:

I feel like id looks at these threads and wonder what the fuck is wrong with these people.

id would probably think we were tame, sensible people if they checked out /v/ on 4/8chan

The Civ said:

I'd hope that they're accustomed to the insufferable fuckhole that is opinions on the internet by now.

Sluggish Morse had a very good quote for this situation:
"People with opinions just go around bothering one another."