Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

HOLY BALLS, NEW COVERS!

Maybe it is for us or people who already like and know what Doom is all about, but if Bethesda's objective is to draw the attention of COD/Halo/another generic modern shooter fanboys/kiddies who have no idea what Doom is I don't think that would do it.

Edit: Actually I can even imagine some parents who have no idea going like "Hell no, that is some satanic shit right there, I'm not buying you that"

Xerge said:

Maybe it is for us or people who already like and know what Doom is all about, but if Bethesda's objective is to draw the attention of COD/Halo/another generic modern shooter fanboys/kiddies who have no idea what Doom is I don't think that would do it.

Edit: Actually I can even imagine some parents who have no idea going like "Hell no, that is some satanic shit right there, I'm not buying you that"

Also i'm worried of some people being put off by the RPG Vibe that both of these covers give.. I want something that yells "HEY WE'RE A SHOOTER TOO!" to people.

Hahaha yeah I guess I can see Xerge's point here. I know back in my day my parents would have probably had an issue with that awesome cover A as well. But then again maybe they shouldn't be ok buying their kids a game with a psycho killing machine on the front of the package in the first place :p

MrDeAD1313 said:

Hahaha yeah I guess I can see Xerge's point here. I know back in my day my parents would have probably had an issue with that awesome cover A as well. But then again maybe they shouldn't be ok buying their kids a game with a psycho killing machine on the front of the package in the first place :p

Put a merican flag somewhere on his armor..

Here's a quick print that I made for myself.

back:

Spoiler

Couldn't get the color settings right for the stupid printer so I ended up butchering the quality and making rough guesses as to how the colors would come out. The result is... not bad. The background turned out brown, very reminiscent of Quake the Offering package but the reds are messed up, too pinkish (can't see it on a photo). I removed the red eyes and I think it looks even better now. Also had to recut the whole thing because the format is really weird. The fronts/backs in their default proportions are too wide for a standard DVD case. Not sure why they did that.

Anyway, I love it. I went from prefering Option A to being sure that it works great as a cover.

Xerge said:

and that is what will make kids want... no, need to play the game. trust me. i can hear the begging right now.

i was 11 when doom was released, and getting the game was even more special bc i felt like i was getting away with something, being allowed a special reprieve from my conservative parents.

as a kid who wasnt allowed to watch rated r movies, being allowed to play doom was very special.

i have to say that this new artwork has me more excited than any screenshots so far released.

CreamCheese said:

Thanks to AirRaid for fixing it :) But err I think its smart to sell it with a rather Generic Cover because it will attract all the Cod Kiddies who are obsessed with TactiCool looking characters, and they don't have to compromise on the Reverse.

We've already attracted enough of them. We don't need any more.

rampancy said:

and that is what will make kids want... no, need to play the game.

The point is that from a business stand pont it's not really a smart move to rely on that having better options with more efficient results, you need to keep in mind who they are targeting to increase sales with the cover they've done and from a business stand point it's always better to profit as much as you can. I'm not saying the cover is good and I think it could achieve the same objective being better.

Touchdown said:

Doesn't really represent what's in game .

I think the first things that you associate to that kind of graphics are magic and the occult.

I think it's safe to assume that with that cover people who have no idea would think Doom is a horror game.

The truth is that this kind of cover that don't really represent what the game is about and don't target the appropiate people to increase sales only works for people like us, who already like the game and already know what the game is about, since the developers and publishers know that there's a fanbase who already know the game and like the franchise they don't really need to worry about focusing too much on targeting the fanbase anymore, but rather focus on increasing sales and creating a larger fanbase.

I kind of wish the occultist circular symbol were a bit more simplified, part of the appeal of alchemist and occultist symbolism is that they're easily recognizable and reproduced. Still really cool though, and I think trying to do something distinctive instead of just using an unaltered "Satanic" pentagram was a good move.

Touchdown said:

http://i.imgur.com/HAXPE4h.jpg
back:

Couldn't get the color settings right for the stupid printer so I ended up butchering the quality and making rough guesses as to how the colors would come out. The result is... not bad. The background turned out brown, very reminiscent of Quake the Offering package but the reds are messed up, too pinkish (can't see it on a photo). I removed the red eyes and I think it looks even better now. Also had to recut the whole thing because the format is really weird. The fronts/backs in their default proportions are too wide for a standard DVD case. Not sure why they did that.

Anyway, I love it. I went from prefering Option A to being sure that it works great as a cover.

p cool though this ain't supposed to be the main cover btw

Xerge said:

I think it's safe to assume that with that cover people who have no idea would think Doom is a horror game.

The truth is that this kind of cover that don't really represent what the game is about

You do realize that's pretty much id Anthology type of cover? A lot of the id-related ads and images were in that style. It's perfectly in sync with the spirit of id.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Doesn't really represent what's in game .

A cover does NOT have to blatantly "represent what's in the game". It might give you a vibe you can expect or the theme. It doesn't have to be literal showcase of what's going on in the game. In fact, that's what the back of the box is usually for, synopsis and screenshots. Sure, you can show everything if you really want to but that's not a rule. The cover is meant to 'catch' your interest, make you pick up the box, turn it around and read what the game is about. But again, it does NOT have to literally show the game to achieve that.

Either way it's interesting how people claim option B represents the game so well. Judging by the cover I'd probably think it's some 2D cartoonish oldschool-wannabe arcade game. Just saying.

But it's also worth noting that beside everything else that's the kind of a taste I have and I'm sure at least some people feel the same way. I always prefer vagueness, it might make me intrigued to find out more.

Almonds said:

p cool though this ain't supposed to be the main cover btw

Well it is a main cover for me. :)

Xerge said:

Actually you are pretty damn right....since what is console buisness? Gamers? Or parents with money? That's why they are not using amasing revenant version, cos of course it doesn't look politicaly correct. However every bit of info on any site about Doom describes game as absolutely oposite to any modern shooter out there. Then what's the point of attracting MMS fanboys via cover?

Oh godddamit! Please make it possible to delete posts!!!! not post three fucking posts in a row for some retarded reason

Touchdown said:

url=http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/3/2/7/4327_front.jpg]id Anthology[/url] type of cover? A lot of the id-related ads and images were in that style. It's perfectly in sync with the spirit of id.

Yes, I am very aware of that and I think you need to take a few things into consideration:

That is a product meant for collectors, that's why it included many collectables inside, so adding just the ID Logo along with the icon of sin on the cover is enough to tell what's in the box because Doom and ID were very popular during that time and because it's safe to assume that Doom fans who are interested in the collectibles and might be interested in the contents of that box already know who the icon of sin is.

But it's not 1996 anymore, it's been 23 years since the original release of DOOM and 12 years since the release of DOOM 3, which means that the most popular first person shooter games of our times are diverse and most first person shooter players now are not the same who used to play Doom back then, which means there are new potential costumers who have different tendencies and who make different associations, if you just put the icon of sin in the cover a lot of people won't even know who that is and there also people who probably have never played the original Doom or Doom 3 before, so they won't catch any hint that tells them it's a first person shooter or a hint that tells them this is a product which offers what they're interested in (for example military hi-tech).

id.dav said:

Actually you are pretty damn right....since what is console buisness? Gamers? Or parents with money? That's why they are not using amasing revenant version, cos of course it doesn't look politicaly correct. However every bit of info on any site about Doom describes game as absolutely oposite to any modern shooter out there. Then what's the point of attracting MMS fanboys via cover?

I think you answered your own question, maybe so that they look for information out of curiosity, if they are into hi-tech military first person shooters then there's a chance they might like what they see, go buy the game and become a new fan of the fanchise, maybe they find this interesting considering it offers something new and also different than what they are used to yet still being a first person shooter.

Piper Maru said:

In Doom '16 you'll be playing the role of Revenant according to the agitated skeleton cover. AAAAAA! Multiplayer.

I assume they are using the revenant for the collector's edition basically for the same reason they used the icon of sin for Id anthalogy, because Doom collectors and Doom fans already know who the revenant is.

Xerge said:

I assume they are using the revenant for the collector's edition basically for the same reason they used the icon of sin for Id anthalogy, because Doom collectors and Doom fans already know who the revenant is.

So that means the cover with the Space Marine means we'll be able to take on the role as THE Space Marine? Sweet! I can't wait.

Piper Maru said:

So that means the cover with the Space Marine means we'll be able to take on the role as THE Space Marine? Sweet! I can't wait.

Yes, fully armored and armed with high state of the art technology, except for a double barreled shotgun and a chainsaw.

Xerge said:

Yes, fully armored and armed with high state of the art technology, except for a double barreled shotgun and a chainsaw.

So you're saying we wont be able to play as the double barreled shotgun and chainsaw?! That's false advertising! Dirty pool, Bethesda. I am disappointed.