Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

STRAFE® , New Gameplay/ Coming 2017

Everything I've seen and heard about this game looks aggressively bad. Not gonna get this unless I run out of FPS games to play somehow. 

I helped to fund this game a few years ago, but in retrospect I'm not entirely sure why. Probably because John Romero told me to. It's sitting in my Steam library as we speak, but I have zero interest in playing it right now. 

Ya, I keep trying to get into it, but... I don't hate it. But it's just not really fun. you're limited to one of three starter weapons, that have secondary fires. Shotgun, Machine Gun and Railgun. And everything else I'v seen that you're able to pick up is temporary watered down versions of these guns. You can only select guns with the mouse wheel, no 1-10 number pads, next or previous weapon selection only.

Honestly, you're easily going to have a better time just booting up quake 1 imho.

3 hours ago, Ajora said:

I helped to fund this game a few years ago, but in retrospect I'm not entirely sure why. Probably because John Romero told me to. It's sitting in my Steam library as we speak, but I have zero interest in playing it right now. 

It is a shame you cannot give away a digital game you no longer want. I would have gladly taken it off your hands.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

I was absolutely stoked for this game but, now that it's out, I'm having second thoughts on dropping the £15 on it.

The spoof movie trailer is awesome, though.

I'm definitely going to give it a shot at some point down the road. Maybe future patches will help to rectify some of the many complaints I'm hearing about it. If there actually was a way to give away Steam games then I'd have no problems letting you take Five Nights at Freddy's and Postal 2 off my hands. 

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

I was absolutely stoked for this game but, now that it's out, I'm having second thoughts on dropping the £15 on it.

The spoof movie trailer is awesome, though.

Lets be honest here. I would play a game based on that trailer, more than I'd play this.

So they make a "1996" game and sell it only on Steam? This is literally the only game released in this century that I'm more-or-less interested in and I can't buy it? Pffft. You strafing guys are so pathetic.

Their sense of humour is cool, that website is great.

That logo (and name) looks a bit too much like Strife. That's so cheap.

14 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I don't even have the game, and its already shit.

Quoting for truth.

59 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

So they make a "1996" game and sell it only on Steam?

The game is also available on GOG.com, for those who want it DRM-free.  It's $26.79 for me there.  I'm not going to buy it for that much considering all the negative reviews.

9 hours ago, Ajora said:

If there actually was a way to give away Steam games then I'd have no problems letting you take Five Nights at Freddy's and Postal 2 off my hands. 

I think there is an option to permanently remove games from your Steam library.

I don't know about this, guys. Unity engine games were also slowish for me most of the time. Is the engine not optimised or something?

I'll stick with Quake.

4 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I think there is an option to permanently remove games from your Steam library.

To my knowledge, there isn't. I think there's just a way to hide games. 

Indeed. This is the kind of soundtrack I wish Doom 2016 had.

It is just a shame that it cannot be purchased separately on Steam.

On 11.5.2017 at 3:42 PM, Voros said:

I don't know about this, guys. Unity engine games were also slowish for me most of the time. Is the engine not optimised or something?

Unity is one of these things that make it VERY easy to create something with sub-par performance. In order to get efficient 3D rendering you need to know a little bit of how this works to avoid the performance traps. But with these frameworks it is relatively easy for people which do not know these things to create something that works. Of course the risk is high that it doesn't work well.

23 hours ago, YukiHerz said:

My predictions were correct, this game is shit.

Design your own levels, cunts.

I dunno about you, but this feels like an attempt at reverse psychology to get more games to feature procedurally generated levels.

I thought this game looked like crap right from the first reveal. Tryhard marketing to push a shallow attempt at emulating 90s FPS games. It misses the mark in every way.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:15 PM, Ajora said:

no problems letting you take Five Nights at Freddy's and Postal 2 off my hands. 

FNAF is definitely crap, but you're insane if you don't find Postal 2 to be enjoyable on some level.

It was fun in a trashy, guilty pleasure sort of way from Monday to Wednesday. But then I started to really despise it, as I gradually became more and more annoyed with its numerous problems. The combat was stiff, the weapons' balance was all over the place, the missions were repetitive, the hit detection was off, it was glitchy, and you had to spend a large amount of time simply walking from point A to point B all the while getting harassed by mobs of people who wanted me dead for petty reasons. Just an all round ugly, cheap, and poorly designed game. I'm amazed that I was able to make it as far as Saturday. 

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

the hit detection was off

That was also driving me a bit batty, really noticible with the rail gun.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

It was fun in a trashy, guilty pleasure sort of way from Monday to Wednesday. But then I started to really despise it, as I gradually became more and more annoyed with its numerous problems. The combat was stiff, the weapons' balance was all over the place, the missions were repetitive, the hit detection was off, it was glitchy, and you had to spend a large amount of time simply walking from point A to point B all the while getting harassed by mobs of people who wanted me dead for petty reasons. Just an all round ugly, cheap, and poorly designed game. I'm amazed that I was able to make it as far as Saturday. 

My thoughts exactly, plus after about an hour I found the crude and edgy humor wearing out its welcome.

On 2017-5-11 at 9:42 AM, Voros said:

I'll stick with Quake.

On the flip side, Overload runs on unity and works very well. It's just a development platform. It's all in how you use it.

2 years for this and this is how it plays, what a fucking dissappointment.

The only good thing about this game is the soundtrack and maybe the fmv cutscenes.

The game itself is quite funny, don't expect an AAA title. Because it was never to be like that. It's a 20 buck game...  The soundtrack is quite good, the gameplay is fast enough the frame drops only happen in some areas only, i guess they will fix it. 

The problem is that the released game doesn't even warrant its status as a paid game, at most it feels like an early access title for $5 and that's pushing it.

10 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

I thought this game looked like crap right from the first reveal. Tryhard marketing to push a shallow attempt at emulating 90s FPS games. It misses the mark in every way.

FNAF is definitely crap, but you're insane if you don't find Postal 2 to be enjoyable on some level.

Come on, let's be honest here: Postal 2 was a pretty shitty game. It's mildly fun to dick around in that game, but as a game it really doesn't hold up that well at all. Let's not even mention the dreadful Apocalypse Weekend add-on...

One funny game-breaking bug in vanilla Postal 2 is creating too many gibs. When I got to one of the later "missions" in the game, where you need to attend your uncle's birthday party (or something like that...), you run into those army-dudes, and I swear the game would always crash on me when I start shooting them in hordes. It would crash with a message, basically saying that the engine ran into a critical error spawning too many gib objects. Great programming, guys.

10 hours ago, Ajora said:

you had to spend a large amount of time simply walking from point A to point B

That's quite a peculiar complaint for an open world game. That's like saying Grand Theft Auto makes you drive around too much between missions. You decide what you want to do in a free roam sandbox title. If your prerogative is to treat it like an unwavering linear experience, then that is what you'll get. This not a particularly sensible use of the open ended options available to you, however.

1 hour ago, Agentbromsnor said:

One funny game-breaking bug in vanilla Postal 2 is creating too many gibs.

Do you care to reproduce this? I have stress tested dozens of simultaneous physics objects, dozens of ragdolls, and dozens of limb severings (POSTAL 2 doesn't have gibs) in far unrealistic scenarios that would never occur normally in-game unless by very methodical and premeditated player aim (i.e. trying to crash the game intentionally), and I have not encountered such crashes.