Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

STRAFE® , New Gameplay/ Coming 2017

The shootables on the wall I saw a few times? Possibly.

I was expecting a genre-changer, so in that regard I was disappointed, but the game is great if you actually play it. 

5 hours ago, Averagewalrus23.9 said:

Now that sounds silly.

Why? It sucks more to be hurt by something you can't see. 

On 16/05/2017 at 8:16 PM, Blastfrog said:

That sounds really, really bad. Nobody should ever feel the need to utter those words regarding a game that went gold.

Isn't that exactly what the Early Access program is for? So that you can use the general public as your extended QA team so that you don't have to "patch it all up" after it's already gone gold?

Post-release patches are an inevitable thing, yes. But those patches should only ever be to address minor issues. If you need to patch your game to actually finish it, you released it too early!

Then again, the days where computer games had to be released on a physical format and where not everyone could afford a decent Internet connection are pratically gone, so it is no longer a deal breaker if a game lacks polish on release.

I am not one to buy new games upon release either, although it is more of a matter of not buying into the hype, as I have found myself hugely disappointed by so many popular games in the past. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

and where not everyone could afford a decent Internet connection are pratically gone,

I mean sure, you might be able to afford it, but that doesn't mean the area will have the infrastructure for it to be available.

33 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

I mean sure, you might be able to afford it, but that doesn't mean the area will have the infrastructure for it to be available.

But then, you would not even be able to purchase STRAFE in the first place.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Kind of missing the point there. It's not a statement about Strafe, it's about how your comment on internet availability overlooks a good part of the problem. Even considering Strage, you could still purchase it without a "decent" internet connection, it just means you couldn't play it in a timely manner. Made even worse if you have to download it and then essentially download it again for updates, because the developers couldn't be bothered to make it good enough in the first place since they'd get your money anyways.

Developers are about as responsible for internet availability as they are for the player's hardware.

Also, it is not even remotely fair to expect independent developers to have access to the same resources as the big ones. I realise few companies out there can afford to be Blizzard and delay their games repeatedly, so I am fine with smaller studios releasing a digital-only game in a rough state and then fixing it through free patches. It sure beats having no post-release support at all, like back in the days where most, if not all games were physical.

Ultimately, the problem here is not "modern gaming", but rather capitalism itself.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

8 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Ultimately, the problem here is not "modern gaming", but rather capitalism itself.

Ya, I mean, why can't we just release awesome titles like china does, oh, wait...

I'v mixed feelings about post release updates, sometimes they're great, other times they end up really screwing up the game for my like dark souls 1 did.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Developers are about as responsible for internet availability as they are for the player's hardware.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Also, it is not even remotely fair to expect independent developers to have access to the same resources as the big ones.

I don't recall ever saying any of this, so I'm not sure what your point is.

20 hours ago, Coopersville said:

I was expecting a genre-changer, so in that regard I was disappointed, but the game is great if you actually play it. 

This is it, really. Once one gets over the butthurt from wrong or supposedly misled expectations, elitist oldschooler mentality, projected disappointment, or whatever it is that makes its reception so mixed, the game is actually quite fun despite the flaws it certainly has. Just takes a while to get one's bearings, but then it picks up the pace. Shame the first levels are so bland, though; the further one progresses, the better the game looks - and the more OP the player gets with every powerup collected along the way.

1 hour ago, MrGlide said:

Ya, I mean, why can't we just release awesome titles like china does, oh, wait...

China is very much a capitalist country, and an aggressive one at that. And even if it was not the case, I do not see what it has to do with the fact that capitalism pushes businesses to rush products out of the door in order to be profitable.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Nothing is pushing them to shovel crap games out the door, other than bills that need to be paid. I don't know any economic system where people don't have bills. I really think your view on this is skewed. Do you think that Making a game for a flat rate would entice developers to work harder, or more on a game? No.

32 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Nothing is pushing them to shovel crap games out the door, other than bills that need to be paid.

And the desire to make profits.

What I am saying here is that without the need to make money, businesses would have no reason to rush their products and thus could focus on making the best product possible.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Watching an hour of the pre alpha first trailer build... not much has changed other than they fixed bugs. Maybe late game things were added or changed... but not many people can get that far.

I think I have a pre alpha somewhere on itch.io.

Also what's everyone's take on Devolver Digital getting the publishing rights? Did they need Devolver after all the publicity they got for the trailer and Kickstarter? Even if they needed Devolver for the consoles or physical editions they can partner with them later for that.