Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

STRAFE® , New Gameplay/ Coming 2017

That video snapshot reminds me a lot of the first room of E1M1.

There's another retro first person shooter being developed, so if you dig Strafe you would probably also be interested in Gibhard. I think you won't find any videos on youtube, you should check out their fb page.

Looks like it could be fun. The KS demo was a chore to play on aspects that don't show on video - controls, movement, hit feedback, etc. - so definitely a wait&see.

I always thought this game had a funky sort of appeal, and the fake 90s commercial where the kids head explodes is funny as hell.

Will be upgrading to a 486 for this.

I wish I remembered to what extent I backed this game. Regardless, the broken ass demo was fun on its own, so I'm pretty pumped for this. Glad to see it so close to fruition.

It actually looks a lot better than it did the first time I saw it, though I still can't get past the whole "procedurally generated levels" thing. I don't understand why so many developers now don't want to build any levels. I guess if the generation is good enough, the levels can stay fresh for some period of time, but you still sacrifice a lot of the personality of levels designed from start to finish by a human being. You never see anyone citing Oblige levels in their favorite wads of all time.

Still, looks like it could be fun. I'll check it out next year!

Pavera said:

I don't understand why so many developers now don't want to build any levels.

Because "making levels is hard" and most developers are lazy and want their money now. They're also jumping on the roguelike Minecraft bandwagon with the whole randomly-generated levels thing.

Random generated stuff could be cool, I'm sure they using some kind of sets of rooms and corridors and each time You play game generate it from limited amount of this pieces, if You play Teleglith You will know what I'm thinking.

Tosi said:

Because "making levels is hard" and most developers are lazy and want their money now. They're also jumping on the roguelike Minecraft bandwagon with the whole randomly-generated levels thing.

Yeah, except this game is still a year away from release, and I think I first heard about it more than a year ago!

Gameplaywise, it looks good, but some of those textures are a bit too pixelated for their own good, like they're trying a bit too hard to look oldschool. The weapon don't look very oldschool either, they look more like something you'd see in a modern spess mareen shooter but with less polygons. I'm not sure how to feel about the randomly generated levels. If the price is good, I'll probably end up buying it.

I remember playing the prototype many months ago. Good atmosphere, rather interesting gameplay and style but it needs more to be actually engaging, here's hoping ...

Well, I was interested until I saw "procedural generation"...

That looks like a lot of fun, I would play it. But you could improve the graphics, its not that hard.

PS: This is some kid version or what? Perhaps you could add more blood.

NinjaLiquidator said:

You could, and you could .

Tell that to the developers, i'm no way affiliated to the project :v .

Strafe came out today. I don't love it but I don't hate it. I would honestly tell anyone who was on the fence for this one that they might want to wait. In the game it said the devs are still working on it, so It Could get better. I seems to have a good amount of potential, but at this moment it feels quite underwhelming.

I don't like the procedural generated thing that much, it would be better if the levels were actually made, but it looks fun, so i might try it :)

The game doesn't look good; but the marketing is insane.

Yeah...

Uhm... Does this game pretend to take place in 1996 or 1986? That "movie trailer" doesn't resemble anything from the 90s, and looks more like a parody of 80s media.

Regarding the gameplay: is it me, or am I only seeing one enemy-type? I'm not impressed with what is on display here so far.

On 3/3/2016 at 3:27 PM, Tosi said:

Was going to post exactly this until I saw someone beat me to it.  Greenlight has turned the "indie" scene into a bunch of bums racing to the bottom to see who can release the lowest quality for the most bucks.

Looked like movies I'd seen from the early 90's, up until the whole the-real-world-is-a-game-now bit...  Definitely not by '96 though.  It's not like the game is really 90's styled either, though.

Played it at PAX last year and it was pretty fun.  There is more than one enemy type.  Seems like it would be worth getting on sale, and sinking a few hours into.  Probably wouldn't get it new.  Wait for sale, or wait and see what the devs do with it.

As far as the game goes, from what I've seen and heard, take it or leave it. That commercial rules though, I don't even give a damn that it's like a late 80's ad for an attempt at a mid 90's themed game.

If you're a long-time or new fan of old games like Doom, Wolf3D, and Quake, Then you will ABSOLUTLEY FUCKING LOVE STRAFE!

Edited by Sgt Jack V

9 minutes ago, Sgt Jack V said:

I don't even have the game, and its already shit.

Thank you for your valuable contribution, Sgt Jack V