Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thrasher9000

Commander Keen uses a BFG9000?

Nah. Just similar colors and art style, probably because "green electric balls of energy" is a good visual shorthand for futuristic laser crap.

This is probably a coincidence.

But anyway, Commander Keen is awesome.

roadworx said:

naw man, if that were the bfg everything in his path would be dead

And the gun in his hand would be 5 times bigger.

Going with the coincidence theory because Adrian Carmack hated Commander Keen and wouldn't have been in the business of inserting deliberate nods to it into Doom.

I think Quasar is being sarcastic, but I was referring to a "coincidence" in the sense that, as dethtoll said, it was more to give it an idea of a "futuristic weapon" (much like the plasma gun uses blue projectiles), rather than a CK easter egg.

EDIT: typo.

Well, John Romero himself wasn't aware of the whole IOS head-on-a-stick and reverse voice shenanigan, so Keen was probably also served as a fait accompli. Besides, he was shown dead/hanging and gets gibbed. Not really a positive cameo...

Oh you jokesters.

For any clueless newbies around here: Romero was aware of the reverse voice shenanigans since it's his very own voice that's reversed, it was his way to say "I see what you did there" to the rest of the team when he found out about the sprite. Adrian Carmack is responsible for the Keen Easter egg in Doom II, it was his way to symbolically kill the character, the game, and the whole childish cartoony aesthetics that he didn't want to draw anymore. And the neural stunner looks nothing like the BFG in its design; "green projectile" isn't enough to make them the same thing.

On the other hand, if green projectile means BFG, then the arachnotrons are actually equipped with BFGs. And, of course, Corvus' ethereal crossbow is a BFG. And the Dark Bishops in Hexen are also using BFGs!

Gez said:

For any clueless newbies around here: Romero was aware of the reverse voice shenanigans since it's his very own voice that's reversed, it was his way to say "I see what you did there" to the rest of the team when he found out about the sprite.

Hmmm weird. Ages ago I had read a slightly different story from what's currently on the wiki, which attributed both the graphic AND the reversed voice to people other than Romero, with him being the butt of the joke in both cases and having no active part in it.

According to Bobby Prince, the voice clip was Romero's idea.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Final_boss#Background

It was at that point that Romero and I decided to record his voice and use it as the final boss sound. We went back into the sound room and John started saying different things in a very pumped up voice. He finally said, "To win the game, you must kill me, John Romero." I took that phrase and put some phasing on it and then reversed it.

Heh for some reason I had reversed the cause and effect in my mind: that Romero had made the head-on-a-stick graphic, and his colleagues made the voice clip mocking him as "payback". Go figure.