Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

That "special" or top gameplay factor.

Guys, I want to keep learning things about mapping, I want you to recommend me maps which you consider that have nailed a top quality gameplay concept, maps with some sort of pace which I can learn from. Don't list entire megawads, just specific maps on them, maps that you considered top fun when played and let you completely satisfied at the end.
I know personal tastes may vary on this subject, but it doesn't matter since variety in styles is welcome. Hopefully I'll be able to cook maps with some new spices in the future.

Thank you and sorry for my shitglish!

Sunlust: Dying on Cue and God Machine (save the final encounter at the pyramid.)

Mt. Katoomba from Resurgence (map 23?), and also Jade Earth.

You have such a distinct style that it's hard to imagine you trying to emulate anyone else. I can think of a few authors whose inspiration might do really neat things for your mapping, like didy and B.P.R.D., but they're noteworthy more for atmosphere and creativity than for top-notch gameplay.

You said not to list entire megawads, but I gotta be a killjoy and say all of Going Down. Seriously, each map sets out to do its own concept and executes on it with style—you have atmosphere building pieces like MAP08 and MAP14, non-stop/non-linear action playsets like MAP17 and MAP22, and a bunch of other gimmicks elsewhere: the "otherworlds" of MAP05 and MAP19, suppressing a horde of imps in MAP20, snooping around for keens in MAP25, an entire map based on stairs in MAP31. mouldy is the king when it comes to expanding Doom's gameplay out beyond merely killing monsters.

With that said though, not many can match his penchant for insane craftsmanship, and I'm not exactly sure his work best fits your style. I think if you want to focus on gameplay refinement more it'd be better to look at vanilla mapsets that are close to yours in style, and go from there. Maybe the Back to Saturn X series is what you should be looking at (specifically essel's stuff—MAP10 from E2 was pretty rad if I remember right [though Mech/Vader combo of MAP14 is no slouch either]). The weird thing about suggesting mapsets for you is that you kinda already have a solid, enjoyable style from what I played of Erkatanne, so it's not like you really need to study others. If anything, just playing more Doom from more different mappers is more than enough to get your creative juices flowing in different directions.

(Also, check out tourniquet's Miasma—a goddamn grand adventure from start to finish)

"Slugfest" (MAP02) from CC4 comes to mind for me. It's a rather simple concept though. I'm also thinking "Obsidian Hotbed" (MAP08) from Resurgence, but that one's not exactly forgiving... Oh, and before I forget, and old-school favorite of mine: "Not That Simple" (MAP07 of Memento Mori). It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but you should at least give it a shot.

Good lighting. Indoor to Outdoor areas. Progressive build of difficulty. Lots of new custom content. It just adds to it, but nothing that subtracts from the orig. intent of Doom if that makes sense? All of these are top game elements for me.

I just realized you are looking for wad names. I will find those soon. Sorry for the double post. A little new here.

dethtoll said:

Sunlust: Dying on Cue

Having some problems on pistol start and UV, no BFG so far, not so many rockets and large packs of monsters pushing against the walls. I'll YT the map first.
EDIT: ok, I found that little passage that gives more space and "time"

Sunlust on UV is only for tr00 Doom murderheads. Play on HMP if it's too much.

Budoka said:

"Not That Simple" (MAP07 of Memento Mori).

My favourite map. I also suggest Walkabout (Version 2.0) and Corridors of hell from the same author (Jens Nielsen): the progression on these maps is just awesome.