Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Will snapmap allow you to connect levels together?

Recommended Posts

Anyone knows if it's possible to create a series of levels that play in a row? Would be kinda lame being limited to making just single individual stories every time.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, you will be able to connect levels together and play them as their own campaign.

Share this post


Link to post

Marty Stratton stated in an interview that you can put levels together in a playlist, but later clarifying that each level is a fresh start so it's not a true " campaign " experience.

Here is a part of what I'm talking about :

SnapMap is a built-in modding tool that will ship with Doom. SnapMap will allow players to create their own game modes, maps, and experiences, and Marty Stratton claims that by linking together multiple maps in a playlist, players could essentially build their own co-op campaign in Doom to share with the world.


http://gamerant.com/doom-campaign-co-op-413/

I can't find the part about the levels not saving your progress but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Miss Bubbles said:

Marty Stratton stated in an interview that you can put levels together in a playlist, but later clarifying that each level is a fresh start so it's not a true " campaign " experience.

Here is a part of what I'm talking about :

http://gamerant.com/doom-campaign-co-op-413/

I can't find the part about the levels not saving your progress but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Might not've been said anywhere, but that is a pretty reasonable assumption considering you can alter game logic in levels, which could potentially cause some messes if ammo caps are able to be modified.

Share this post


Link to post
Arctangent said:

Might not've been said anywhere, but that is a pretty reasonable assumption considering you can alter game logic in levels, which could potentially cause some messes if ammo caps are able to be modified.


Who's to say an XP system can't be part of a playlist/server?

Share this post


Link to post
CreamCheese said:

Who's to say an XP system can't be part of a playlist/server?

I don't really see how that's relevant to the situation where a playlist has a level with normal ammo caps which you leave with full ammo, which then leads to a level with lower ammo caps.

Behold, suddenly the ammo caps are lower than the amount of ammo you have. Does the excess just spill out of you? Do you just keep your ammo and you just can't pick any more up until you run it below the new cap? Does it just vanish entirely? Would this be something they actually bother to deal with, or would they just ignore it by not linking inventory between levels?

Share this post


Link to post
Arctangent said:

I don't really see how that's relevant to the situation where a playlist has a level with normal ammo caps which you leave with full ammo, which then leads to a level with lower ammo caps.

Behold, suddenly the ammo caps are lower than the amount of ammo you have. Does the excess just spill out of you? Do you just keep your ammo and you just can't pick any more up until you run it below the new cap? Does it just vanish entirely? Would this be something they actually bother to deal with, or would they just ignore it by not linking inventory between levels?


We're mostly dealing with speculation here aren't we, but i'd assume you'd be consistent with your ammo caps across the playlist, if you were borrowing maps from another mapper you'd be allowed to change them.

Share this post


Link to post
Miss Bubbles said:

Marty Stratton stated in an interview that you can put levels together in a playlist, but later clarifying that each level is a fresh start so it's not a true " campaign " experience.

Still i see no possibility to connect levels together, you cannot go back to previous levels this way i guess .

Share this post


Link to post

Well you can;t go back to a previous level in Doom 1/2 either. That means nothing in relation to this discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

Well you can;t go back to a previous level in Doom 1/2 either. That means nothing in relation to this discussion.

Actually, that was a limitation removed by sourceports ;) .

Share this post


Link to post
DMGUYDZ64 said:

Actually, that was a limitation removed by sourceports ;) .


Doesn't change the level of irrelevance your comment had. If your health, armor, ammo and other variables cannot carry from one level to another, you cannot create a real campaign experience. Plain and simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonfly said:

Doesn't change the level of irrelevance your comment had. If your health, armor, ammo and other variables cannot carry from one level to another, you cannot create a real campaign experience. Plain and simple.

It is ... Possible .

Share this post


Link to post

DMGUYDZ64, we are talking about continuity in SnapMap campaigns.

We are not talking about ZDoom or any similar/related ports. The feature in question is one available in Vanilla Doom - Play a custom map01, you start map02 with the same health, armor and ammo you ended map01 with. Simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonfly said:

Doesn't change the level of irrelevance your comment had. If your health, armor, ammo and other variables cannot carry from one level to another, you cannot create a real campaign experience. Plain and simple.


Well, assuming that the game allows you to give story descriptions for each level the level creator/author could just explain it by stating that you lose all your weapons for some reason in-between levels, and give some kind of plot reason why this happens. Perhaps it's not ideal, but assuming all levels are created to be related to one another it could work pretty well at least on paper.

And aren't all the maps in the original Doom designed to be playable from a pistol start anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Dragonfly said:

We are not talking about ZDoom or any similar/related ports. The feature in question is one available in Vanilla Doom - Play a custom map01, you start map02 with the same health, armor and ammo you ended map01 with. Simple.

Just because it's not available in Vanilla doom doesn't mean it must not exist in the Doom '16 .

Share this post


Link to post

We all should just face the fact that snapmap will be neutered garbage (thanks consoles) and we wont have megawad creation abilities. If we are to ever have that ability then bethesda will have to release their tools or rely on the community to mod it.

Based on the screenshots the limitations will be based on the limits of the settlement builder in fallout 4, which has already been modded to allow for adding more structures passed the preset limit.

Only time will tell, but we can only assume that the stuttering cluster fuck of a failure that is bethesda it will be the community that once again will either keep doom going or everyone going right back to vanilla.

Share this post


Link to post
AirRaid said:

HE said it WAS in vanilla Doom.

He didn't, i was talking about some way to go back to previous levels (literally connect each one) just like it's done in many GoldSrc, IDTech 2 games (Goin' back to previous level and keep Your health, equipment), not some way to make a levelpack in which it's only possible to go to next level , probably you need to learn to read :v

Share this post


Link to post
DMGUYDZ64 said:

He didn't, i was talking about some way to go back to previous levels (literally connect each one) just like it's done in many GoldSrc, IDTech 2 games (Goin' back to previous level and keep Your health, equipment), not some way to make a levelpack in which it's only possible to go to next level , probably you need to learn to read :v


This is your post.

DMGUYDZ64 said:
Dragonfly said:

We are not talking about ZDoom or any similar/related ports. The feature in question is one available in Vanilla Doom - Play a custom map01, you start map02 with the same health, armor and ammo you ended map01 with. Simple.

Just because it's not available in Vanilla doom doesn't mean it must not exist in the Doom '16 .


I have underlined the part of his post that you quoted which is talking about exactly what you are saying it is not talking about. You are the only one talking about 2 way level transitions when everyone else is referring to linear continuity between groups of maps.

Share this post


Link to post

iD said that the workaround for SnapMap is to set the weapons/items for each map depending on when you expect the player to have those weapons. So it would work like this:

Map 1: Pistol
Map 2: Pistol + Shotgun
Map 3: Pistol + Shotgun + Chaingun
Etc...

So the player starts with more weapons every map, but I suppose the player can still acquire weapons early in the map before. For example, you can hide the chaingun in Map 2, so the player can use the chaingun early. Otherwise if they don't find it, they'll have to wait until Map 3.

Not ideal, but that's probably what the "campaign" makers will often do.

Map 1: Start with Pistol (have Shotgun hidden in map)
Map 2: Start with Pistol + Shotgun (have Chaingun hidden in map)
Map 3: Start with Pistol + Shotgun + Chaingun (have Plasma Rifle hidden in map)
Etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Nineball said:

We all should just face the fact that snapmap will be neutered garbage (thanks consoles) and we wont have megawad creation abilities. If we are to ever have that ability then bethesda will have to release their tools or rely on the community to mod it.

Based on the screenshots the limitations will be based on the limits of the settlement builder in fallout 4, which has already been modded to allow for adding more structures passed the preset limit.

Only time will tell, but we can only assume that the stuttering cluster fuck of a failure that is bethesda it will be the community that once again will either keep doom going or everyone going right back to vanilla.


Snapmap looks way better then I could possibly have hoped it would be. Will it be as powerful as an actual real map editor? No. But considering that it allows you to create new content that would otherwise have taken weeks or even months to make it looks pretty damn decent.

Share this post


Link to post

Given the endless creativity of modding possibilities, I think we'll see people make maps that will be architecturally interesting, but it bugs me that they're literally all going to be techbases.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

it bugs me that they're literally all going to be techbases.


I don't believe they've confirmed that, but correct me if I'm wrong. We may still see Hell caverns and what-not.

Share this post


Link to post

The problem with the idea of making hell maps in snapmap is that you can't really snap them together like you could with tech maps. How do you snap together organic landscapes?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×