Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Sawdust - Valiant scrap

SAWDUST

Seven scrapped maps from Valiant. I've been asked to share these numerous times over the past year, so, here you go! AD_79 inadvertently reminded me that these exist a couple of weeks ago, so please blame him for this. Same play info as Valiant applies: gameplay mods won't work. Use PrBoom-plus 2.5.1.4 complevel 11, or use ZDoom, Zandronum, or Eternity.

Keep in mind that I scrapped these maps for a reason. This might be a fun distraction but there's definitely better stuff out there for you to play. Really, I'm glad to get these off of my hard drive so I'm no longer tempted to use them in other things.

2dZQwib.png
zohTxfA.png

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6toytxpxdo7tj46/sawdust.zip

Edited by skillsaw

Hot damn, more skillsaw maps. Will be playing these after I finish my current to-do list! AND it's 'Valiant' related stuff too, even better!

WOO-HOO, got something to do tonight!

Also, LOL at the HELP pic.

I finally got around to start playing through Valiant recently in ZDoom. I'm less than halfway through it, but found a couple of bugs in the Decorate. I wasn't going to post about it because it came out a while ago and nobody else had mentioned it. The bugs don't break anything, they're just annoying. But since the same bugs are in the Sawdust Decorate, I guess I have to now. I suppose this is called serendipity.

The last frame of the Suicide Bomber Death state is SKUL K -1. That means the last explosion frame stays on screen forever. In a room full of Bombers, it does look odd. The original Lost Soul Decorate has it as SKUL K 6.

In the ValiantImpBall Decorate you have 'speed 16' and the next line as 'speed 20'. I think the second line should be 'fastspeed 20'. That's normally the speed for 'fastmonsters' and Nightmare mode. I seem to remember people commenting on the 'enhanced' ImpBall speed.

Looking forward to Sawdust after I finish Valiant.

Sweet, I just finished Vanguard.

Just had a quick play and as expected, your cast offs are fun maps regardless.

Did you intentionally leave jump and crouch enabled?

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

The last frame of the Suicide Bomber Death state is SKUL K -1. That means the last explosion frame stays on screen forever. In a room full of Bombers, it does look odd. The original Lost Soul Decorate has it as SKUL K 6.

Isn't it just a bloody corpse? That's what I see when a suicide bomber dies, playing in ZDoom. Doesn't seem odd or out of place.

Magnusblitz said:

Isn't it just a bloody corpse? That's what I see when a suicide bomber dies, playing in ZDoom. Doesn't seem odd or out of place.

My apologies. You're absolutely right. I just checked my batch file. I was loading files in the wrong order, so I was calling the original Lost Soul Doom explosion frame. I didn't notice SKULK0 was being re-used. Well, that explains a few other things. Curse me for a fool. Aw hell, now I have to start all over again. Mea Culpa.

But I'm still curious about the ImpBall speed.

rdwpa said:

Hmm, interesting that some of the new monsters debut so early in an E1-themed map. Glad the introduction was more delayed in the actual mapset.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the order of their appearance. These maps were scrapped a very long time ago and some simply predate the existence of certain monsters.

Urthar said:

Did you intentionally leave jump and crouch enabled?

Oops, not intentional. I just didn't include a MAPINFO at all.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

My apologies.

But I'm still curious about the ImpBall speed.

No worries, better to let me know than not. I'll look into the ImpBall thing a little later on.

M01 and M02 were short and nothing special, M03, M04, M06 and M07 were good, I liked them even more than some of the maps in Valiant, M05 was too chaotic for me to like it. Not a bad stuff overall. Past broadcast including all 7 maps, if you want to watch it.

As it was stated before - these are immeasurably far from being bad maps despite being rejects, they might be conceptually simpler and shorter, but this surely doesn't mean they're not fun. More Valiant is never a bad thing if you ask me, so thanks a ton for sharing. Also thanks to folks that talked you into doing so, heh.
A bunch of silly FDAs in case you suddenly feel like watching this nonsense.

First two maps recorded. Will upload on youtube soon.

Nice maps even though they were scrapped. Map 02 actually looks like a very early and, of course, way shorter version of valiant's map 11 ^^

EDIT: Here is map 01

Edit 2: map 02

Sorry for the bump but, here are maps 3-6 (map 07 will follow sometime today or maybe tomorrow, it's sitting on my hard drive).

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Map 05 is evil btw... There's actually a slight cut (noticable by the sudden change in music) but, I had to head off somewhere. Thus, since I was doing ok, I saved and picked up from that point.

EDIT: Here is map 07 :D

Thanks for the videos and demos!

Glad to hear no one's had too many issues with these maps. Map05 is def my favorite of these (with it's oppressive opening) and I'm having a hard time putting a finger on why I cut it, exactly, but the rest seem to have more obvious flaws, I think.

Anyways, I'm going to put a MAPINFO in to disable jumping/crouching and then submit to idgames fairly soon.

My primary conclusion from this set is that cybrusiers are absolutely great enemies. While they are alive, they are probably more panic-inducing than even cyberdemons, partly because they blend into hordes so you often think "oh crap where the fuck did it go?" I hope someone can make a sprite that helps them blend in better, because their big downside is that they look kind of out of place in all but tech levels.

rdwpa said:

My primary conclusion from this set is that cybrusiers are absolutely great enemies. While they are alive, they are probably more panic-inducing than even cyberdemons, partly because they blend into hordes so you often think "oh crap where the fuck did it go?" I hope someone can make a sprite that helps them blend in better, because their big downside is that they look kind of out of place in all but tech levels.

Well, there's always this dude here:

rdwpa said:

Yeah! And one of the great things about the Valiant implementation of them is that they only have HK health which means the fear-of-instant-death-induced-panic is fairly short-lived. It's less taxing IMO than using Cyberdemons for the same purpose.