Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Anyone else feel ripped off because of the Doom beta?

I originally pre-ordered Wolfeinstein the new order largely because of the Doom beta. I would probably have bought the game anyway had there not been for the Doom beta, but probably not at release for full price. When I saw the "get into the Doom beta" I instantly pre-ordered.

...the actual game is now only 2 months away and still no beta!

Are you serious? So by the time I get the sneak preview I wanted the actual full game will be only like a month away anyway? Anyone else here feel like they have been stabbed in the back?

Were you expecting to play the beta a year before release or something?
The beta will be out before release; if its MAy 13th and there still isn't a beta, then feel ripped off. Otherwise, they never said when or what the beta would entail.

Ok, so according to what has been said here they didn't even said they would release the beta when they get to beta testing stages, so you can even expect them to release the beta a minute earlier before official release lol.

In fact they never even said they would release the beta before official release, so what can you expect?

I understand this frustration. They probably 100% thought they would have a beta period at the time when they stated that. Now as we get closer to release it is looking less likely. 9 weeks doesn't seem like a long enough time to get a good beta test in.

Xerge said:

Ok, so according to what has been said here they didn't even said they would release the beta when they get to beta testing stages, so you can even expect them to release the beta a minute earlier before official release lol.

In fact they never even said they would release the beta before official release, so what can you expect?

If that is the card they pull then I would expect similar attitudes and approaches in the future. Credibility destroyed...

Typical. Feeling stabbed in the back for something that was a free incentive. God forbid you ever have to deal with real tragedy.

What exactly did you expect of the beta? In most cases, I beta takes place when the core development is complete; when the alpha tests helped to eliminate any dealbreaking bugs within the core components, and when the game is basically "feature complete", or to put it in other words "we are done, besides some content polishing/development everything that should be there, is there". They tested most of the stuff inhouse in their QA-department. Imagine if this stage would have been met three months ago, and we would have gotten access to the beta. Everybody would ask themselves "then why don't you release the game in a couple of weeks? Beta is beta, it only helpds to iron out the odd bugs that haven't appeared in internal beta. Release it already, it's christmas time, where money is made".

I don't think they had anything that they could put out as a public beta until maybe the end of last year or beginning of this year.

Couple of days ago, the game received the equivalent of RGP-ratings in Germany, so I suppose they entered a nearly final build - content wise (that's what counts regarding the ratings) - to the people rating it. Else, the rating would be meaningless.

So, IMHO, they could not have released an earlier Beta then what they will do now within the coming weeks.

Furthermore, in this day and age, expect the Beta to only be available couple of days for you to enjoy (or not). Enough time to cancel any Pre-Order if you don't like it, or to pre-order it or buy it day one if you like it.

What good is a beta half a year in advance, when it is clear the game is not finished (because nowadays not many studios can afford it to sit upon a finished game for too long, they need to get the money spent back in)?

I am not dissappointed in any way, as this is exactly what I expected when they called it a Beta. I don't even expect it to have single player content (that would rather be some kind of Demo), allthough I would like it to have maybe one level to check out.

hardcore_gamer said:

Anyone else here feel like they have been stabbed in the back?

You know they did an alpha test for people that preordered wolfenstein right?

GoatLord said:

I think it was realistic to expect the beta to be released MONTHS before the game, not weeks...

That makes literally no sense, because beta in game dev is basically the stage right before release candidate. It's the final pass, so to say, the last rush to fix everything before locking down development and shipping it.

If months passed after the beta's been active, then the game's probably been canceled and there wouldn't be a release.

This just in: retarded gamer moron is suckered into buying garbage by gaming corporation that promises a thing they then don't follow up on.

Beta has little meaning with big publishing companies. It's a PR/hype term now understood to mean "early access" by a week or two.

hardcore_gamer said:

I originally pre-ordered Wolfeinstein the new order largely because of the Doom beta. I would probably have bought the game anyway had there not been for the Doom beta, but probably not at release for full price. When I saw the "get into the Doom beta" I instantly pre-ordered.

...the actual game is now only 2 months away and still no beta!

Are you serious? So by the time I get the sneak preview I wanted the actual full game will be only like a month away anyway? Anyone else here feel like they have been stabbed in the back?

Thus fucjing question was asked by moi before and had a very succint answer..
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-2016-general/86399-is-it-to-late-for-a-beta-shouldnt-it-have-come-out-earlier/

an_mutt said:

This just in: retarded gamer moron is suckered into buying garbage by gaming corporation that promises a thing they then don't follow up on.

holy shit tip that fedora harder

Almonds said:

holy shit tip that fedora harder

I heard somewhere that Bethesda hates gamers, like secretly they hate gamers, especially young male ones..

Pete Hines said "MAN I HOPE GAMES GET BANNED SOON"

I don't feel ripped off because I'm waiting for the full game anyway but I can understand why people would be.

To me the biggest issue is how unprofessionaly this whole situations has been handled from the very beginning. The beta was announced 25 months ago and we don't even have a date for it. They've announced the beta BEFORE announcing th game (what?). The game was in Pre-Alpha at E3 meaning they've announced the 'beta' 16 months (!) before that. What was the state of the game at the time? Drawing board? That's not when you announce the 'beta'.

It was clearly a marketing stunt with no grounding in reality. TNO didn't have MP to cut stuff from. Its SP component was already lacking so they had nothing to cut. So they've pulled 'teh beta access' out of nowhere because pre-order bonuses are mandatory.

There's no point holding a grudge now two months before the release, especially if the actual game delivers. But it's still annoying and says something about Bethesda.

Touchdown said:

I don't feel ripped off because I'm waiting for the full game anyway but I can understand why people would be.

To me the biggest issue is how unprofessionaly this whole situations has been handled from the very beginning. The beta was announced 25 months ago and we don't even have a date for it. They've announced the beta BEFORE announcing th game (what?). The game was in Pre-Alpha at E3 meaning they've announced the 'beta' 16 months (!) before that. What was the state of the game at the time? Drawing board? That's not when you announce the 'beta'.

It was clearly a marketing stunt with no grounding in reality. TNO didn't have MP to cut stuff from. Its SP component was already lacking so they had nothing to cut. So they've pulled 'teh beta access' out of nowhere because pre-order bonuses are mandatory.

There's no point holding a grudge now two months before the release, especially if the actual game delivers. But it's still annoying and says something about Bethesda.

Meh its hd a long ass development cycle.. I don't think they expected it to be this long.

Jesus fucking christ people, do some research.

Public betas, whether open or closed, run WEEKS from release, not months, and certainly not a year. This is true for every single game that has one. Battlefront did it. The Division did it. Hitman did it. The Crew did it. CoD Black Ops 3 did it.

This is how it is done. Deal with it.

You have not been ripped off just because your expectations were unrealistic.

This is the second time shit shit has come up.

E: Oh look, Blizzard just announced the Beta for Overwatch, and it's 3 weeks before release.

AirRaid said:

You have not been ripped off just because your expectations were unrealistic.

Huh isn't that exactly what this thread is?

It's funny, even if a 14th century bazaar shopkeep tried the "buy this apple, also get that orange cheap cheap!!!!!!" trick, will inflate the cost of the first item and make the second item cheaper (you got a deal wow!). Here Bethesda got morons paying full price on both items with just the promise of "you get to see the orange early".

Do you guys honestly think these major publishers don't have major QA teams for the real beta test? If they don't, then there are plenty of third party firms that will do it like mercenary work. Do you really think they are reading your wall of text about your system specs and how you found a texture misalignment? All they want from you as a "beta tester" is to stress test their internet-facing equipment when the product is finalized.

They're not evil, you're just letting yourself be used. Which is fine because some people enjoy that out of loyalty. But complaining about it is sad, especially because we all know you are buying the shit anyway.

Vorpal said:

Huh isn't that exactly what this thread is?

It's funny, even if a 14th century bazaar shopkeep tried the "buy this apple, also get that orange cheap cheap!!!!!!" trick, will inflate the cost of the first item and make the second item cheaper (you got a deal wow!). Here Bethesda got morons paying full price on both items with just the promise of "you get to see the orange early".

Do you guys honestly think these major publishers don't have major QA teams for the real beta test? If they don't, then there are plenty of third party firms that will do it like mercenary work. Do you really think they are reading your wall of text about your system specs and how you found a texture misalignment? All they want from you as a "beta tester" is to stress test their internet-facing equipment when the product is finalized.

They're not evil, you're just letting yourself be used. Which is fine because some people enjoy that out of loyalty. But complaining about it is sad, especially because we all know you are buying the shit anyway.

I read this at least four times and it still doesn't make any sense.
What the fuck are you on about man?

AirRaid said:

Jesus fucking christ people, do some research.

Public betas, whether open or closed, run WEEKS from release, not months, and certainly not a year. This is true for every single game that has one.

Uhm, actually Obsidian Entertainment's 'Armored Warfare' went into "Open Beta" October last year and is still in "Open Beta".

Anyway, I didn't preorder WOLF:TNO because I suspected something like this would happen. I still remember thinking to myself back then: "How may people will buy TNO just for the DOOM Beta?"

Well that's more of an early access thing. It's also Free to play. Such things usually have protracted Beta stages because they can essentially launch early before it's finished and still make money.

If anyone thought Doom was going to do something similar to that they are a fucking idiot.

I got wolfenstein at GameStop in December for 15 bucks and it had a beta code in it, it was also a pretty good game, so I don't really feel ripped off