Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyoAsuka

Which one looks uglier? Quake or Quake 2?

darknation said:

It's not the textures, it's the models themselves. They were animated by hand (moving individual vertices) on a frame by frame basis, so up close the models seem to warp and wobble somewhat.

Yep. Quake II's MD2 format did not linearly interpolate MD2 models between keyframes, hence the "jelly" effect that's seen. Some ports have actually fixed and/or added that in, and games that used its engine (Anachronox, SoF) added keyframe interpolation.

To this day I still dont know what quake2 chaingun guy is yelling. Sounds like: UZAAA!
I speak fluent strogg.

Chu said:

games that used its engine (Anachronox, SoF) added keyframe interpolation.

Did Kingpin: Life of Crime do that?

Chu said:

Quake II's MD2 format did not linearly interpolate MD2 models between keyframes

Except it did?

I always thought the problem was in the bad vertex precision.

I never thought about what Job said regarding less but stronger enemies in 3D space. But yeah, that id Tech 2 'jelly' effect is the worst in Kingpin, characters look like they're underwater.

I like the art style of the original Quake over Quake 2.

The original Quake looks more unique, because it was intended to be a medieval-themed RPG/FPS. Prior to that, it was Aztec-themed, in architecture. Later, Id decided to make it similar to Doom, because of limitations of the standard PCs back in 1996. Thus, its uniqueness was more of a good-accident IMO

Quake 2 was fully planned to be a sci-fi shooter. Not that Q2 wasn't done well, but the original Quake has more character.

I understand why many players like Quake's wild mix of industrial scifi, gothic and lovecraftian, but I always liked Quake II even more. It's a much more polished and coherent game with a very strong and unique aesthetic.

Waffenak said:

To this day I still dont know what quake2 chaingun guy is yelling. Sounds like: UZAAA!
I speak fluent strogg.

The railgun guy (I think) sounds like he's saying "NARUTARD!" :3

I remember reading somewhere that Quake 4's minor Strogg soilders would say things certain Yugioh characters would say, I can't remember the information completely.

Tetzlaff said:

a very strong and unique aesthetic.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "Strong and unique", sure. That's a new one. Even the most ardent techbase fans don't usually try to pretend it's a rare aesthetic.

Avoozl said:

I remember reading somewhere that Quake 4's minor Strogg soilders would say things certain Yugioh characters would say, I can't remember the information completely.

Stuff about friendship, smiles, the future, and dueling not meant to be used for fighting?

Arctangent said:

Stuff about friendship, smiles, the future, and dueling not meant to be used for fighting?

Whatever it was it was said in Japanese.

Solarn said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "Strong and unique", sure. That's a new one. Even the most ardent techbase fans don't usually try to pretend it's a rare aesthetic.

If all techbases look the same to you, it's your problem.

I wouldn't say they all look the same, but they do have a lot of similar visual and design tropes.

Solarn said:

First, I am not only talking about the architecture, but also about the monster design.

Second, Quake II is from 1997, and while we have seen all sorts of "techbase" (what a broad description anyway) in many games since, it was unique in 1997.

Weren't most of Quake II's monsters just cyberdudes, though? I mean, there's a lot of sci-fi shooters out there, but far less lovecraftian sci-fi shooters. So at least from that angle Quake 1 is more original.

Yes, the Strogg are cyborgs. Military cyborgs in all sizes and variations. Including cyborgs build in a dog-like fashion and cyborgs only consisting of a flying humanoid head with guns attached to it.

Are the Strogg originally alien cyborgs? They only look human because they've been assimilating mankind into their fold since they first encountered one another, is that correct? I wonder what they might have looked like before.

Piper Maru said:

Are the Strogg originally alien cyborgs? They only look human because they've been assimilating mankind into their fold since they first encountered one another, is that correct? I wonder what they might have looked like before.

Quake wars? I think that game is about the invasion, when they first encounter one another.

Captain Red said:

Is their step by step dummies guide for idiots on how to set this up for windows 7?

Seconded. I have a Steam version and I feel like playing it again. The screenshots got me thrilled again.

Xerge said:

Quake wars? I think that game is about the invasion, when they first encounter one another.

So, I always thought the strogg were originally like human beings who eventually turned into cyborgs for some reason and things got out of hand being completely absorbed by their cybernetic implants.

You know, it would be cool if they made a Quake prequel that tells their story to know what the hell happened to them and why.

EDIT: Then again, maybe it's better to leave that a mystery.

Quake 2. Q1 may be overly brown but it still had creativity and atmosphere behind it, and made it work. Quake 2 was just a bunch of brown and orange plain looking tech bases, over and over and over again.

Piper Maru said:

Yes, they are originally alien, but it seems they always consisted of a multitude of humanoid alien races.

Waffenak said:

I speak fluent strogg.

I've always misheard it as "Who's there?!"

I'm not sure which Quake I would consider to be "uglier"...Quake 2 does have an awful lot of bland tech bases though.

For me, Quake was at its strongest in its first installment, and that's not even the intended vision it was going to have. Yet it took off anyway and has become a successful franchise despite being all over the place. Quake's a strange series.

So its generally agreed that Quake 2 is the black sheep in the series in terms of its visuals. I guess that's why Quake 3 combined the visual aesthetics of both Quake 1 & 2.

About Quake 2, how do you obtain the music for the game? Is it legal if I download the music ISO from the net?

Jellyman1303 said:

About Quake 2, how do you obtain the music for the game? Is it legal if I download the music ISO from the net?

Nope, GOG's the only store that sells the game that includes the music legally.