Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deatheye

How do I clean my reaper miniature?

I've got some of the reaper miniatures and one of them is really dark compared to the others, what's the best way to clean it?

I think they're made of tin

Don't. You'll ruin its value. If you're actually keeping it as a collectible for possible future resale, cleaning it actually detracts from the value.

Job said:

Don't. You'll ruin its value. If you're actually keeping it as a collectible for possible future resale, cleaning it actually detracts from the value.

hm? when I clean it and make it look more like how it's supposed to look it's value decreases?

As a general rule of thumb, patina is considered part of the value of an old object. Cleaning or recondition can actually harm that perceived value. It not only serves to confirm that it is the genuine article, but the right people can verify that it's not artificially aged. Clean it if you like, but I'd be willing to bet it will detract from the value.

Job said:

As a general rule of thumb, patina is considered part of the value of an old object. Cleaning or recondition can actually harm that perceived value. It not only serves to confirm that it is the genuine article, but the right people can verify that it's not artificially aged. Clean it if you like, but I'd be willing to bet it will detract from the value.

Oh thanks for the info, appreciate that :)

Well with that new information I think I don't clean it anymore

Also if the surface is oxidized then it retards the ability of oxygen to work deeper into the object. If a body shop mechanic was to just polish away a rust spot, then you have a whole new surface area of fresh metal for oxygen to work on and you'd have rust again soon: thus the paint to function as an oxygen shield.

Aren't you supposed to apply some product to aboid oxidization? :D

Deatheye said:

I've got some of the reaper miniatures and one of them is really dark compared to the others, what's the best way to clean it?

I think they're made of tin

They're pewter, which is mostly tin with a bit of copper and antimony mixed in.

In my own collection it's only the Doom 3 pre-order miniatures (which are dated "© 1993, 1997" on the base) that are noticeably darker, and I think that was done on purpose by applying an oxidising agent like liver of sulfur.